• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there CGC grades you dislike for no reason?
1 1

102 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, D84 said:

9.8, but I have a reason.  The obsession with this number in the corner has brought a lot of bottom feeders into the hobby. 

Wouldn’t they technically be top feeders if they like 9.8s? :baiting:

just messing of course, but I know what you mean. 

Maybe if they changed 9.8 to mean “mint minus” instead of near mint / mint, less people would want them. 

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

ALL CGC GRADES WITH NEWTON RINGS BOTHER ME.

Could you imagine if there were newton rings glossing over the grade itself on the label. 

What about CGC 9.5? 

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

I keep reading thread title as: “Are there any CGC graders you dislike for no reason?”

The ones who wont give 9.9s and 10.0s when people demand them!!!  :pullhair:

6.5 bugs me for no good reason. i feel like 7.0 and higher sounds like an impressive grade and the book will almost always look pretty sweet too. 6.5 isnt quite mid grade, nor is it high grade. of course i'd gladly take an AF15 in that grade, but ideally with my other SA keys, i like to have a copy under 5.5 and then ideally a 7.0 or better if i can manage it. 

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I hate 9.2, 9.6, and 9.9 (I think I have a valid reason for that one, though).

I also hate the 1.8 grade. Where's the 1.2/1.3!?

Why 9.6 if you don't mind me asking? I get why for 9.9 (no rhyme or reason) and 9.2 (because I hate it too). Just curious why you don't like 9.6 but you do like 9.4 (presumably, as it wasn't mentioned).

8 minutes ago, Foley said:

Why 9.6 if you don't mind me asking? I get why for 9.9 (no rhyme or reason) and 9.2 (because I hate it too). Just curious why you don't like 9.6 but you do like 9.4 (presumably, as it wasn't mentioned).

Maybe I simply hate the comics that end up being 9.6s instead of 9.8s. lol

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Maybe I simply hate the comics that end up being 9.6s instead of 9.8s. lol

That's fair enough lol 

I like buying 9.6s when 9.8s are expensive, but 9.6 on books I submit myself do tend to chap my áss a bit.