• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 39
2 2

31 posts in this topic

hard to say without seeing the center staples and the inner pages .but fix the spine. clean it up and press it like you stole it... and believe it or not I could see this book getting a 9.0 

because of its age

Edited by Arak Zantara

16 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Could you give pictures of the staples if you can? I'd say 7.5, an overall nice looking copy!

I can't right now, because I just bought this comic.

I will when I receive it.

Edited by Pangolin
typo

Spine stress. Top edge wear to top of front and back cover and back cover soiling. From the scan looks like something may be up with the bottom staple. If the bottom staple is secure (not popped or loose) it’s FN/FN+ to me. Back cover should clean up to put it solidly FN+

46 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This book looks like it has some moisture damage. If that's the case, I wouldn't be higher than 5.5...:sorry:

On which part of the book do you see moisture damage?

I will take a closer look on my comic then.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Pangolin said:

On which part of the book do you see moisture damage?

I will take a closer look on my comic then.

Thanks

OK, here goes...

While the top edge displays normal Silver Age Marvel wear and tear, that heavier wear on the top edge of the front cover appears to be a sign of light moisture damage. This is usually caused when books are stacked together in a box without being bagged first. When the books are separated, paper loss occurs because the books adhere to each other or the ink simply rubs off.  Also, the dark ink transfer on the back cover, especially the upper edge of the back cover, is very typical of moisture damage. The cover of another book that sat directly underneath the Spidey #39 appears to have transferred some of it's front cover ink onto the back cover of the #39. The paper acts a bit like a sponge and actually absorbs some of the moisture from the air. The books could have been stored in a storage unit where humidity was present, or in a damp basement for a certain amount of time. Most books show various amounts of ink transfer, but this is a case where moisture appears to have been a factor as well.

A couple of ways to confirm this are by checking the staples carefully for rust and/or oxidation (or even rust from the staples transferring to the pages and centerfold) as well as using your nose to check the book for a musty odor. Apparently the moisture didn't do enough damage to cause ripples or waves on the paper, but I'd check the entire book carefully for any signs of stains, ripples, warping, tide lines and the like. I've seen stains that are so faint the light has to hit them from just the right angle for you to be able to see them. From the pictures, the spine on this book appears to have some very light staining; I'd examine the spine very carefully from the inside as well as the outside.

Still, all in all, this appears to be a solid, decent copy---I've certainly seen much worse. I hope this information has been helpful, and I wish you all the best...  :foryou:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

OK, here goes...

While the top edge displays normal Silver Age Marvel wear and tear, that heavier wear on the top edge of the front cover appears to be a sign of light moisture damage. This is usually caused when books are stacked together in a box without being bagged first. When the books are separated, paper loss occurs because the books adhere to each other or the ink simply rubs off.  Also, the dark ink transfer on the back cover, especially the upper edge of the back cover, is very typical of moisture damage. The cover of another book that sat directly underneath the Spidey #39 appears to have transferred some of it's front cover ink onto the back cover of the #39. The paper acts a bit like a sponge and actually absorbs some of the moisture from the air. The books could have been stored in a storage unit where humidity was present, or in a damp basement for a certain amount of time. Most books show various amounts of ink transfer, but this is a case where moisture appears to have been a factor as well.

A couple of ways to confirm this are by checking the staples carefully for rust and/or oxidation (or even rust from the staples transferring to the pages and centerfold) as well as using your nose to check the book for a musty odor. Apparently the moisture didn't do enough damage to cause ripples or waves on the paper, but I'd check the entire book carefully for any signs of stains, ripples, warping, tide lines and the like. I've seen stains that are so faint the light has to hit them from just the right angle for you to be able to see them. From the pictures, the spine on this book appears to have some very light staining; I'd examine the spine very carefully from the inside as well as the outside.

Still, all in all, this appears to be a solid, decent copy---I've certainly seen much worse. I hope this information has been helpful, and I wish you all the best...  :foryou:

Thank you for detailed and well-explained post, sir!