• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 39
2 2

31 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Thank you for detailed and well-explained post, sir!

You're welcome! 

I hope this information is useful to you. I've basically just scratched the surface of this subject, but I'll just leave it at that. There are folks on here with more knowledge and experience concerning the properties of paper---it's a bit like going back to school sometimes... 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:53 PM, The Lions Den said:

Also, the dark ink transfer on the back cover, especially the upper edge of the back cover, is very typical of moisture damage. The cover of another book that sat directly uderneath the Spidey #39 appears to have transferred some of it's front cover ink onto the back cover of the #39.

Could the dark ink transfer be corrected by a clean/press?

A couple of ways to confirm this are by checking the staples carefully for rust and/or oxidation (or even rust from the staples transferring to the pages and centerfold) as well as using your nose to check the book for a musty odor. Apparently the moisture didn't do enough damage to cause ripples or waves on the paper, but I'd check the entire book carefully for any signs of stains, ripples, warping, tide lines and the like.

I saw no trace of rust on the staples or the centerfold. The other pages seem clean too.

Still, all in all, this appears to be a solid, decent copy---I've certainly seen much worse. I hope this information has been helpful, and I wish you all the best...

Thanks! I am pleased by this comic.

13 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Could the dark ink transfer be corrected by a clean/press?

I saw no trace of rust on the staples or the centerfold. The other pages seem clean too.

Thanks! I am pleased by this comic.

I'm not sure about the clean and press, but there are folks here that could probably answer that for you...

The fact that the staples aren't rusty is a definite plus!

If you're pleased with the book, that's really all that matters...  :foryou: