• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meanwhile in 2019...
2 2

17 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2019 at 11:03 PM, Pangolin said:

Yesterday, for the first time in many years, I have read Marvel Team-Up #41 to #46.

In issue #45 with Killraven (published in 1976), I was amused to see the following :

2019.thumb.jpg.d5db5c29ecb51b2be11f6478dca292a4.jpg

I share this just for fun.

So no matter how bad we think things might be today, it's still a whole lot better than being invaded by Martians!

On 10/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, KirbyJack said:

Killraven's original costume made RuPaul look butch.

Image result for killraven

lol

Actually, until you get to the thigh high boots, everything above could be the inspiration for "300".

But yeah, can't really justify the thigh highs unless his Martian overlords were into a bit of kinkage.

12 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

wonder which came first, this book or ZARDOZ. 

The comic came first (1973 vs 1974),

You made my morning by drawning a link between Killraven and this old movie from John Boorman with Sean Connery!

^^

Edited by Pangolin

On 10/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, Pangolin said:

The comic came first (1973 vs 1974),

You made my morning by drawning a link between Killraven and this old movie from John Boorman with Sean Connery!

^^

Actually it was shot at the beginning of May 1973 until August of the same year., so someone either smoked the same pipe or it was a weird coincidence as Killraven's first appearance was dated May 1973. As the comic had to be drawn before being published I would say we have a clear winner the comic costume came first.:bigsmile:   .

On 11/10/2019 at 7:20 PM, tv horror said:

Actually it was shot at the beginning of May 1973 until August of the same year., so someone either smoked the same pipe or it was a weird coincidence as Killraven's first appearance was dated May 1973. As the comic had to be drawn before being published I would say we have a clear winner the comic costume came first.:bigsmile:   .

who knows? there was no internet back then, so leaked photos, or studio promotion images weren't as easy to see as today.  But there could have been crossover between movie people and comics artists, and Adams may have been made aware of "that" look or seen sketches. (quite a few comics artists WERE hired as sketch artists for movies around then)  Neil was always good at using reference in his work. I once believed he could draw from his head like photographic memory, truth is after years of commercial artwork assignments (storyboards etc) he learned how to draw stuff from years of using reference materials.  Who knows what magazines he had in his photo morgue!  Theres absolutely nothing wrong with it!