• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY PET PEEVE: CLAIMING CGC IN THE TITLE WHEN NOT CGC'd

31 posts in this topic

The part of the ebay policy relevant here in the keyword spamming issue:

Extra Brand Names in Title. Any use of a trademarked (brand) name in the title of a listing where products of that brand name are not being offered.

Not This, Not That. A title or description for a listing that reads, for example: "Gucci Purse (not Louis Vuitton, Armani, Prada)"; or "I also sell Gap, Nike, Gucci, Rolex, etc."; or "Please see my other listings for Beanie Babies, Pokemon and Star Wars items."

These are further guidelines to consider when using brand names:

Improper Trademark Usage. Generally speaking, reference to more than one brand name in a description is considered key word spamming. Under some circumstances it may be permissible to refer to other brands for comparison purposes or if you are selling a group of items in a single listing. However, some uses of other brand names may be considered by the owners of the relevant trademarks to be infringements of their rights. For example, use of phrases such as "Chanel-like," "Movado-style," "Gucci?," "Prada" (in quotes) or "This "X" brand bag has leather just like a Coach bag" will likely lead to increased scrutiny of your listing by rights owners and the implication that the goods you are offering are not authentic. In such cases, the trademark owner may submit a sworn statement to us concerning the alleged infringement through our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program and request that your listing be ended early by eBay. For more information about our VeRO Program click here. We realize that many of you prefer to use a brand name for comparative purposes to best illustrate your item's particular style. However, we encourage you to first contact the trademark owner in question for their guidance as to what they consider to be permissible, before making any questionable use of a brand name.

Oldguy,

My intention was not to persecute the guy. I just wanted to use him as an case example on this board to elicit your opinions on keyword spamming and CGC guarantee return policy. I'm not reporting him to eBay, or spamming him, or bugging him in any other way. I asked 2 questions of him and that has been all. I'm more interested in input from you.

what would I pay nm to nm/mt for those 2 books "raw"? $250 tops

Maybe you feel I'm picking on him a bit much? If I were to bid, I have every right to email him 50 times asking him to be clear on his return policy and if CGC is involved if he's paying for the grading as well in the refund.

It's not a matter of liking your auctions. I would love to be able to put CGC 9.8 in everyone of my Modern offerings, but to do so would be misrepresentation.

I think it's wrong to put "CGC" in the auction unless the item for sale is CGCed. I also think his refund policy is BS unless he's willing to pay the CGC fees if the book comes back lower then 9.8.

I agree that you have the right to e-mail him questions if you are planing on bidding on the auction. I do however feel that if you aren't planing on bidding then you should leave him alone.

lol You can e-mail me any time you want to Darth. I think it would be a great idea for all sellers to belong to a BBS like this one so that they could see what people think about their selling practices.

I am in no way defending this guy, but I do think that there are sellers out there that don't know how silly some of their practices are. They could pick up on a lot of good info on this board.

DARTH - this is a pet peeve of mine as well. My other pet peeve is the listing ' CGC Near Mint ', with no number grade given. Translation: it is a 9.2 that is being listed. tongue.gif