• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Question

22 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, ryansr said:

Hi just wondering when I send my comic in via UPS, how does it come back to me. I mean do I pay for the shipping back to me or is it covered?

you pay return shipping (or you can pick it up I think). You can get ups usps or fedex; if you have a shipping account with fedex you can use that.

58 minutes ago, ryansr said:

So would my best bet be to send a whole bunch in one box and have them send it back in one box as suppose to many shipping cost. BTW I am in Canada. So this will cost me a lot to have it grading. 

yes, it is best to do a bunch of books and minimize shipping per book. I think you can do 20 per box; they have to be all the same tier/service. If it is your first submission be prepared for a bit of a shock.

18 minutes ago, ryansr said:

It is my first submission. What do you mean by shock?

He might be referring to grades.  Anyways, whatever bulk submissions you do should be grouped by service level (express, standard, economy) will be shipped back based on the timeline for the service https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/

So if you sent in 24 books, 8 of each service level....you're getting hit 3 times for return shipping.  You can also helpful find info here 

5 hours ago, ryansr said:

It is my first submission. What do you mean by shock?

Many people do not get the grades they think they will or should get.  Been a lot of people that have come on here and complained about it, but, it usually turns out they missed something and CGC didn't.

ultimately, you have  lot of internal math to do, and a lot of variables to consider, especially if you're in Canada, where shipping cost goes up exponentially AND you have to consider the risks of customs both ways.  If I were you, I would get in contact with CGC to go over the entire process and all the costs very specifically and explicitly, and all the paperwork etc.  I would look on ebay and GPA to do some price/grade analysis, and I would post some pictures in the Please Grade my Comic area of the chat boards.

Think of all the variables and do a full cost benefit analysis, including wait times, expected grades and expected values, realizing that being Canadian has currency variables AND a potentially tougher selling market because you don't have such easy access to the much larger American market.  If you're in position to do so, you should consider submitting at a convention (either in Canada or USA), OR driving over the border to ship your comics to CGC (or possibly shipping to a US friend/PO box), noting that TECHNICALLY there might be some customs implications.

good luck

I mean the grading is already done by GCG online. They show their grade and 9.8 but has corner imperfection however a 9.6 looks way better but lower score. 

Thanks revat I am doing that now. Looking like it might not be worth it. I might just have to put them in a case myself, just have to fine one to fix the large comic I have.

Edited by ryansr

1 hour ago, ryansr said:

I mean the grading is already done by GCG online. They show their grade and 9.8 but has corner imperfection however a 9.6 looks way better but lower score. 

Thanks revat I am doing that now. Looking like it might not be worth it. I might just have to put them in a case myself, just have to fine one to fix the large comic I have.

That still doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, ryansr said:

Doesn't work?

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:
3 hours ago, ryansr said:

That still doesn't work.

I think its not clear to the rest of us what you mean by 'the grading is already done by GCG online'

Might have been a typo, might not have been, but CGC is not the same as GCG.

CGC does not do online grading.  You have to actually send in your book where they grade and encapsulate (of course for a fee).  Or perhaps you were just talking about the forms and fees being online?

Also, you should consider that while CGC is the industry leader and generally do a nice, consistent job, they are not perfect and the grading process is still subjective and done by humans.  So certainly there will be 9.6's and 9.8's that were on the border that might have gone one way or another depending on any number of factors.  Which is something else you should factor into your expected grade calculations and estimates.

22 minutes ago, ryansr said:

Yes a scan of an already graded book is what i meant. But your response make sense to me. Thank you.

A scan is a start but there are imperfections that you can’t see in a scan, perhaps a bend or slight water damage, and a scan doesn’t give you any information about the interior of the comic.  Are there slight tears at the interior staple, pages with small rips, interior stains , etc

17 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
18 hours ago, ryansr said:

Yes a scan of an already graded book is what i meant. But your response make sense to me. Thank you.

A scan is a start but there are imperfections that you can’t see in a scan, perhaps a bend or slight water damage, and a scan doesn’t give you any information about the interior of the comic.  Are there slight tears at the interior staple, pages with small rips, interior stains , etc

Right - it's easy to debate a CGC 9.8 from a scan if you can see obvious flaws, but there's no way to say that a CGC 9.6 looks perfect (or to compare it to a CGC 9.8) when you can't see all the flaws on the CGC 9.6.  One problem that collectors have is that they see a CGC 9.8 with a flaw and compare them to their own books and say "Mine must be 9.8 or better."   The shock comes when you submit a bunch of "perfect" books and get back grades from 8.0 to 9.8, and every single book below 9.8 would not have been worth the cost of grading.

There are "perfect CGC 9.6" from a scan, but they're not perfect.  In fact, here's another "perfect" book, as far as the scan goes:

1339856005_1200.jpg

That's a CGC 8.0 because you can't see the flaws, but if it wasn't in that slab you can imagine how someone on Ebay or in person would say "it's a 9.8 or better!"

Nope.