• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer 2 - grade is in
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I picked this up at an auction and definitely need a second opinion. I had a LCS owner look at it and they claimed the stamp alone would drop it down to at best a 4.5. However I've seen a few CGC graded #2's with a bigger stamp in the same location at 9.2.

I suppose I was thinking that the book is in pretty decent condition overall. The front has a small corner crease and some small discoloration in the top right. I was thinking with a press this could get closer to a 7.0 compared to a 4.5. Again, any opinions are greatly appreciated!

IMG_20191020_171210.jpg

IMG_20191020_171153.jpg

IMG_20191020_171133.jpg

IMG_20191020_171121.jpg

IMG_20191020_171118.jpg

IMG_20191020_171115.jpg

IMG_20191020_171112.jpg

IMG_20191020_171107.jpg

Edited by SxG
Grade

Not brave enough to throw out a grade after my results in the Green Eggs, but a couple of comments (questions for others to answer):

1) I don't see the stamp as a *huge* factor. BUT, I think that gets factored in less if the book is older and in lower grade in general otherwise. This book is newer and in pretty good condition, so maybe the hit would be more substantial?

2) What's up with the staples (2nd photo)? Looks like something from a handheld staple gun. Is that normal / defect / ???. Just seems odd to me.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:16 AM, WPPJames said:

1) I don't see the stamp as a *huge* factor. BUT, I think that gets factored in less if the book is older and in lower grade in general otherwise. This book is newer and in pretty good condition, so maybe the hit would be more substantial?

2) What's up with the staples (2nd photo)? Looks like something from a handheld staple gun. Is that normal / defect / ???. Just seems odd to me.

On many Marvel square-bounds, the books were stapled from back to front. This often causes problems, such as the first few pages not being fully secured by the staples, as well as the staple tines protruding through the front cover. It is a normal defect, and a very common one as well...