• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Blue Label Books - New Superhero Label Series
2 2

55 posts in this topic

I have seen this a couple of times now so I don't believe it is a one-off. Restored books that have been slabbed with the new superhero design are still blue label. 

While I get that it would be difficult to create different colored labels for the new Avengers, ASM, etc, series, I find this really confusing. The color coding helped me to identify whether or not a book was restored at a glance, and I came very close to overpaying big time for a restored book the first time I ran across this. 

Posting this as a heads up more than anything else. The snip is taken from a book that is up for auction at Comic Link right now (yes, it is described as restored in the form). 

capture.jpg

That is very crazy - i'm am sure there are going to be a bunch of people who will use that label to help sell their restored books. To be honest i'm actually considering doing this for one of my X-Men books just to have it match the other blue labels in the display, but I was under the impression those labels were ONLY offered to Universal grades.

3 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

CGC really needs to focus on Quality Control and redoing their holders instead of label gimmicks. 

Most of the entire world is a gimmick. Get rid of all the gimmicks and after that, you can compress what remains of the world down to the size of a golf ball. :gossip: 

That aside, I usually don't like gimmicks, but IMO, the artistic labels are a winner. Very nice. We are comic book fans, right?

And an oversight can occur with any label, plain or otherwise.

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Most of the entire world is a gimmick. Get rid of all the gimmicks and after that, you can compress what remains of the world down to the size of a golf ball. :gossip: 

That aside, I usually don't like gimmicks, but IMO, the artistic labels are a winner. Very nice. We are comic book fans, right?

And an oversight can occur with any label, plain or otherwise.

Yes, it can.

As I've stated before, upon their arrival at CGC, many books are entered into the system as Universal books. At that point, no one knows if they're restored, qualified or anything else---the receiving team is just entering the information provided on the invoice into the system. If no one changes the books to their correct designation, they'll make it through the entire system as blue Universal books, and sometimes they'll have the wrong title, date and art comments, too...

8 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

So are you gonna be one of the people i'm going to be bidding against for one of my favourite covers I have yet to own? :D Imma gonna fight you! :D

Probably not. I'd like a copy but I am wary of bidding on a book that is mislabelled it might go for more than FMV because someone thinks they are getting a universal copy. 

13 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

Probably not. I'd like a copy but I am wary of bidding on a book that is mislabelled it might go for more than FMV because someone thinks they are getting a universal copy. 

Yeah, the 'reinforced' is the biggie on that label as it hints that other work might have been done as well, and if it looks like others have missed that detail i'll tap out once the bidding gets bonkers :D 

2 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah, the 'reinforced' is the biggie on that label as it hints that other work might have been done as well, and if it looks like others have missed that detail i'll tap out once the bidding gets bonkers :D 

Yeah my assumption is that the cover and first wrap were likely detached. It would probs get a conserved label on resub so at least it wouldn't be a PLOD.  

12 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Yeah my assumption is that the cover and first wrap were likely detached. It would probs get a conserved label on resub so at least it wouldn't be a PLOD.  

I think you're right; this should have received the Conserved label. And the QC department needs to up their game...