• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Blue Label Books - New Superhero Label Series
2 2

55 posts in this topic

A few people in this thread have suggested it is an error or a one-off, but I have now seen a half dozen examples of this. Some others also put up pictures from Ebay of other cases where the restored slabs under these new labels are blue. It isn't an error.

I honestly think the issue is with design where they would have to print up different color labels with the new superhero images, and because the superhero images are in color someone along the way decided it was not worth doing. That is just a guess, of course.

In any case it completely sucks. I know to watch out for this and I almost put in a really bad bid on a restored book because I let my guard down for a second. It is a menace.

Edited by Stefan_W

3 hours ago, Stefan_W said:

A few people in this thread have suggested it is an error or a one-off, but I have now seen a half dozen examples of this. Some others also put up pictures from Ebay of other cases where the restored slabs under these new labels are blue. It isn't an error.

I honestly think the issue is with design where they would have to print up different color labels with the new superhero images, and because the superhero images are in color someone along the way decided it was not worth doing. That is just a guess, of course.

In any case it completely sucks. I know to watch out for this and I almost put in a really bad bid on a restored book because I let my guard down for a second. It is a menace.

You do bring up a number of good points. And always inspect the book and the label thoroughly before entering a bid...  :makepoint:

7 hours ago, Stefan_W said:

DING DING DING, we have a winner!  Exactly what I was thinking too when I first saw this thread.  I dunno why they wouldn't have colored labels for the new superhero image labels.  Doesn't make sense :screwy:  This has to be brought up with CGC IMMEDIATELY.  It's already getting out of hand.

1 hour ago, TwoTone said:

This book is not the same as the others.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/392847-color-touch-noted-on-blue-label/?tab=comments#comment-9236246

"Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color."

It should come as no surprise that they've expanded what Resto can still get a Blue.

I firmly believe this book should have received a Conserved label, especially since the word "conserved" is used in the description... ;)

3 hours ago, TwoTone said:

This book is not the same as the others.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/392847-color-touch-noted-on-blue-label/?tab=comments#comment-9236246

"Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color."

It should come as no surprise that they've expanded what Resto can still get a Blue.

Nope. The work on the book clearly falls within the conserved label. It is not an 'extremely small amount of colour touch'. And unless you can point to specific statements from CGC that they have expanded the books which can get a blue with resto your claim is just speculation. 

These two Spotlight 5s just closed on Comic Link. The top one is a blue label with the new graphics restored, the bottom is regular blue label unrestored. They closed only 50 bucks apart, and they were sitting at the same amount until I tossed in a bid on the unrestored one toward the end. I think the person who bought the restored book and ended up overpaying quite a bit (based on GPA) is going to be pretty upset when he takes a closer look after the book arrives.

Without meaning to beat a dead horse, this is a real problem. 

capture.jpg

53 minutes ago, Stefan_W said:

These two Spotlight 5s just closed on Comic Link. The top one is a blue label with the new graphics restored, the bottom is regular blue label unrestored. They closed only 50 bucks apart, and they were sitting at the same amount until I tossed in a bid on the unrestored one toward the end. I think the person who bought the restored book and ended up overpaying quite a bit (based on GPA) is going to be pretty upset when he takes a closer look after the book arrives.

Without meaning to beat a dead horse, this is a real problem. 

capture.jpg

HUGE.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:10 AM, The-Collector said:

Probably not. I'd like a copy but I am wary of bidding on a book that is mislabelled it might go for more than FMV because someone thinks they are getting a universal copy. 

Well,y'know,the label SAYS 'Universal Grade' 

Unbelievable.

19 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Well,y'know,the label SAYS 'Universal Grade' 

Unbelievable.

And you know that will be brought up to CL too I would think if say the buyer wants to return for their money back.  Along the lines of, you should've read the label with the notes or label says universal. Not CL's fault because they did put in the description as Degree of Restoration: C-1 slight amateur..  So, it is both the buyer's fault for not reading the description AND CGC for putting the book in a blue label that says UNIVERSAL.

7 hours ago, TwoTone said:

Be that as it may, it's not the same. Even if that Horrific is a mistake it still falls under the CGC policy (expanded?) they've had in place for 20 years and shouldn't be surprising. The Spidey labels are a whole nother level of wrong.

The simplest explanation to these anomalous labels is that they are mistakes. 

Edited by The-Collector

7 hours ago, TwoTone said:

Be that as it may, it's not the same. Even if that Horrific is a mistake it still falls under the CGC policy (expanded?) they've had in place for 20 years and shouldn't be surprising. The Spidey labels are a whole nother level of wrong.

Also I never claimed that the magnitude of the error for the Horrific and MS5 are the same. All I'm saying is that my bet is that they are both mistakes; I find that much more likely than some unannounced grading policy that lets conserved books get universal labels. 

Edited by The-Collector

8 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Also I never claimed that the magnitude of the error for the Horrific and MS5 are the same. All I'm saying is that my bet is that they are both mistakes; I find that much more likely than some unannounced grading policy that lets conserved books get universal labels. 

After seeing this multiple times I am betting what we are seeing with the new labels all being blue is not an error. If I see one of the new Spiderman series, or whichever other, with a purple or even green label it would change my mind, but that hasn't happened yet.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:45 AM, Stefan_W said:

After seeing this multiple times I am betting what we are seeing with the new labels all being blue is not an error. If I see one of the new Spiderman series, or whichever other, with a purple or even green label it would change my mind, but that hasn't happened yet.

Please allow me to shed what I hope is a little more light on this subject...

From what I recall, if there's a book that deviates from the norm (such as a restored book), a purple label would be selected for the printer that prints the information on the labels. However, the restored book would first have to be designated as "Restored" in the computer drop-down menu. Generally, the grading room bears the weight of this responsibility, since they're the ones making the final determination. If the book isn't designated as "Restored" by someone in the grading room, it's quite likely the book will slither through the system as a blue Universal label, because Universal is one of the most commonly used categories for books when they arrive at CGC. 

Which brings me back to the question of whether anyone here has seen (or owns) a book with a special Marvel label which isn't blue or yellow. If no one has seen a special Marvel label that's Restored, Qualified or Conserved, it's pretty obvious what's happening (or to be more precise, what's not happening...)

Going forward, before purchasing any CGC book, carefully inspect the information on the label, the grade of the book, the book itself, and the holder. A little common sense can go a long way toward customer satisfaction... 

Edited by The Lions Den