• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strikeforce: Morituri - Underappreciated Comic

8 posts in this topic

Apologies if there has been a Strikeforce: Morituri thread already.  I did a search and didn't find one, only mentions of how cheap old copies of it are, and posts about how it flamed out in "Marvel's Dropping Sales," etc.

I've been rereading this and think it was an amazing book ahead of its time.  Very dark, and I'm amazed they let kids (myself included!) read it.

Humans are under attack by the evil alien "Horde" and as a last resort, humans develop "The Morituri Process," which gives a select few people superhuman powers to defend Earth.  The only catch is the injection kills them after a year.  Hence "Morituri" ("We who are about to die.")  Our heroes are willingly sacrificing themselves to defend Earth.

The first pics are the first time we see one of our heroes die.  The real kick in the gut is that this happens only after a couple of months; meaning we the reader and our heroes have just learned that they don't have a year...they have UP TO a year.  This is done beautifully and tragically immediately after a victory, which needless to say, taints the moment.  Unlike nearly every other Marvel/DC comic, the heroes by definition stay dead. 

I think this would be a terrific show, and Googled around to see if it was attempted.  Apparently SyFy tried in 2002 but the show never took off.

The third pic shows how dark the book can get.  The evil "Alien Horde" has mutilated human captives, decapitating them, but keeping the head and voice box alive.  The head is installed into a combat droid, emitting a blood curling shriek as psychological warfare.

The concept, art, and writing on this book was excellent, at least the first year, and I hope someday another TV producer discovers it since they are throwing money at every other comic book under the sun nowadays. 

EDIT: Also, apparently Strikeforce: Morituri was part of the Marvel Universe, since they made sure to throw in a room of the alien Horde’s “trophies,” which included Captain America’s shield and Galactus’ helmet.  (Bottom left of final photo.)

Strikeforce Morituri 4a.jpg

Strikeforce Morituri 4b.jpg

Strikeforce Morituri 3.jpg

F2DD01E1-2772-4535-A657-4C0DC2CF1603.jpeg

Edited by lordisam

This booked blew my mind when I was a kid. I'd never read anything like it. I haven't re-read it as an adult, but I will soon. I pick up the #1's anytime I find them cheap.

11 hours ago, lordisam said:

Apologies if there has been a Strikeforce: Morituri thread already.  I did a search and didn't find one, only mentions of how cheap old copies of it are, and posts about how it flamed out in "Marvel's Dropping Sales," etc.

I've been rereading this and think it was an amazing book ahead of its time.  Very dark, and I'm amazed they let kids (myself included!) read it.

Humans are under attack by the evil alien "Horde" and as a last resort, humans develop "The Morituri Process," which gives a select few people superhuman powers to defend Earth.  The only catch is the injection kills them after a year.  Hence "Morituri" ("We who are about to die.")  Our heroes are willingly sacrificing themselves to defend Earth.

The first pics are the first time we see one of our heroes die.  The real kick in the gut is that this happens only after a couple of months; meaning we the reader and our heroes have just learned that they don't have a year...they have UP TO a year.  This is done beautifully and tragically immediately after a victory, which needless to say, taints the moment.  Unlike nearly every other Marvel/DC comic, the heroes by definition stay dead. 

I think this would be a terrific show, and Googled around to see if it was attempted.  Apparently SyFy tried in 2002 but the show never took off.

The third pic shows how dark the book can get.  The evil "Alien Horde" has mutilated human captives, decapitating them, but keeping the head and voice box alive.  The head is installed into a combat droid, emitting a blood curling shriek as psychological warfare.

The concept, art, and writing on this book was excellent, at least the first year, and I hope someday another TV producer discovers it since they are throwing money at every other comic book under the sun nowadays. 

EDIT: Also, apparently Strikeforce: Morituri was part of the Marvel Universe, since they made sure to throw in a room of the alien Horde’s “trophies,” which included Captain America’s shield and Galactus’ helmet.  (Bottom left of final photo.)

Strikeforce Morituri 4a.jpg

Strikeforce Morituri 4b.jpg

Strikeforce Morituri 3.jpg

F2DD01E1-2772-4535-A657-4C0DC2CF1603.jpeg

I also see the Sufer's board on the right side. Plus power batteries used by the Green Lantern Corps. And last but not least, Batman's over size penny from the Batcave.

That's Robbie the Robot

I hated that series. As a shop owner, I tried to read every comic that came in, to stay informed, but stopped this one after a few issues. I liked the concept but not the execution.

Just jumping in to express my delight also for Strikeforce: Morituri. Great concept, solid writing & art, great characters. Adept was my favorite, depicting a black Christian woman as a three-dimensional person with an impressive passive power.

I'd love to see a reboot or continuation but the rights are completely tied up. Last I heard, Marvel owns half of the rights and Carol Potts the other half. As long as Disney doesn't own 100% of the IP they won't publish a new Morituri book or ever make a show out of it.

Marvel hired Greg Pak to write a relaunch concept about a decade ago but the company soon found out about the rights complication. The book was killed after it was scripted. I don't remember hearing about any art being made for it.