• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 10.0 with Corner Blemish?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello! I recently purchased a CGC 10.0 comic. However, I noted the back bottom corner had a blemish/nick (unsure of what term to use here). Is this possible on a 10.0 book? The book wasn't shipped in the best way and it definitely could have bent a bit during shipping (which might be the cause of this crack in my second picture), but I'm more worried about if the label was switched as I can always just get the case reholdered. Do these "frosting" on top indicate just wear or potentially a switch? Many thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

Edited by ucberic

if none of the posts are broken, its difficult to think its been switched.  But you could send detail pictures to CGC and check with them.  Grading is subjective, and the more perfect the comic, the more susceptible it would be to damage, even in the slab.  If you're not satisfied, try and send it back.

1 hour ago, revat said:

if none of the posts are broken, its difficult to think its been switched.  But you could send detail pictures to CGC and check with them.  Grading is subjective, and the more perfect the comic, the more susceptible it would be to damage, even in the slab.  If you're not satisfied, try and send it back.

Books can be damaged in the slab? Sigh.. I have much to learn...

5 hours ago, Silver Ager said:

I've had similar thoughts concerning card and comic grading. If an high-grade item has a rough trip through the mail, can it pick up more flaws that it didn't have as of grading? Technically, is your 9.8 now really a 9.2 or such?

Yes and yes.  Something everyone wants to avoid talking about but the phenomena has been known since nearly the inception of CGC.  It's simple physics, really.  A suspended comic in a slab is still subject to acceleration and deceleration as a package is tossed on and off vehicles.  Imagine driving at 25 mph into a brick wall without seatbelts or airbags.  The car may get pretty crunched, but your going into the windshield (in this analogy, the comic book is you).

While it's possible to mitigate this through a remarkable packing regime, the cost of such is prohibitive and never used.  In 16 years of buying and selling CGC'd books, I've never seen anything close to the packing necessary to address the issue.  So, every time a book gets shipped, it's a shake of the dice.  One of the many reasons I prefer to purchase raw now.  2c

Interesting. I like Sig Series books, and that's part of the reason why I wish there was a 'signature-only' option instead of having to have it graded too. I wouldn't have to worry about accidents or wonder whether it's 'really' the grade it says if I get a a damp or beat-to-death box in the mail. But I'm a natural worrier.

Hard to tell from pic but could be a bindery tear, which is considered a production flaw...and doesn't impact technical grade. However, I thought 10's were reserved for books with that little extra "jenesequa", which I would think includes not having manufacturing defects.

With that said, my money's on it got damaged post-slabbing, and a reholder could yield a lower grade (if they suspect damage they reserve the right to regrade it, even if sent in for just a reholder).

Edited by Callaway29

i would send the book back as if you re holder they can adjust the grade and I dont think this will get the 10.0 grade anymore. Also the crack could be a indication that maybe the damage happened in shipping as it took a hard impact. As to the switching labels its very difficult to switch the labels and doing so should show quite a bit of damage to the case and possible glue to seal the case back up. Also chances are the posts could of been damaged or broken if someone tried to tamper with it. 

It might benefit you more to talk to CGC and ask their thoughts. 

That looks like a bindery tear and I cannot think of how that could have been caused in the slab. 9.8’s can have bindery tears and most do to some extent. 10’s are supposed to be perfect.

This is further reason I don’t trust a 9.9 or 10 grade and will not pay a premium for one. Im Getting to the point where I want to shop for modern graded 9.6’s in hand to find one that looks a 9.8.