• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAaaaacked!!!!

62 posts in this topic

It’s been nearly 72 hours since Heritage went down. Since then, aside from one general message about the attack there’s been zero information or statements - I’m rather surprised to say the least. I’m equally surprised it’s not a bigger topic of discussion here. All the consignors and potential bidders should be a bit nervous about the November auction starting in 10 days. An erosion of confidence and trust impacts both the quality of pieces up for auction and bidding activity.  All it takes is a few consignors pulling their pieces from the signature auction and the whole thing falls flat. Collectors are a squirrel lot, both buyer and seller.

on the plus side there’s some new upstart auction house in Eastern Europe  that popped up in the last couple of days with some killer OA called “Hermitage Auctions” hm

happy bidding comrades! xD

8 minutes ago, grapeape said:

HA can save face.

For the November signature auction;

Lower buyer commission take.

Lower seller commission take.

Offer 5 free seller listings to all of us HA members:

Love you HA—-you’ll get through this.

They will get through this.

It may cost them some extortion money to the malware people.

Heritage is much more than comics.  David

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Didn't realize how often I used HA for sales data on original art.  Let a few cool auctions go by the boards on eBay today because I couldn't do a little price discovery ...

This goes on for another few days and maybe the hobby will mature past over-reliance on "comps" lol to find "value".

If you really like something and can afford the price (doesn't make you puke on the spot) - just go for it, no need to make sure you're not the first to pay that extra digit.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

This goes on for another few days and maybe the hobby will mature past over-reliance on "comps" lol to find "value".

If you really like something and can afford the price (doesn't make you puke on the spot) - just go for it, no need to make sure you're not the first to pay that extra digit.

Yes please continue to let pages go bye bye because of comps. •••I pay a little more say the flippers •••and you pay a lot more later when you kick yourself for relying 100% on comps= FMV.

If I had a Romita ASM page for every time someone comes on the boards and says, back in 1985, 1995, 2000, 2005,2009,2014, 2018•••I could’ve got that page for a song my name would be Mike Burkey.

I could’ve got that for $1000 back then and now look at it.

NO you wouldn’t have!!!! You would have looked at the comps and talked yourself out of it.

FMV involves so much more than just comps.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Spot on !!!!!

7 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

All the consignors and potential bidders should be a bit nervous about the November auction starting in 10 days. An erosion of confidence and trust impacts both the quality of pieces up for auction and bidding activity.

Everyone SHOULD be very very concerned and actually downright unhappy.  In fact, I think everyone should refuse to bid as a way to express their concern.

7 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

on the plus side there’s some new upstart auction house in Eastern Europe  that popped up in the last couple of days with some killer OA called “Hermitage Auctions”

lol

they've updated the message on their website slightly: they seem rather sure of themselves that nothing sensitive was lost. Call me skeptical. No website that's down 72 hours+ instills confidence in me. 72 hours ago they didn't get hacked necessarily, that's just when they found out they were hacked.  (shrug)

UPDATE

Our Email and Dallas phone systems are fully operational and we expect the website to be up soon. We have confirmed that we were the victim of a malware attack. We have no evidence and no reason to believe there was any unauthorized acquisition of any client or company data. Additionally, client financial information such as credit card numbers and bank account information is maintained and secured by the payment provider. Further, all HA.com passwords are encrypted. All currently affected auctions will be extended or rescheduled, with revised schedules posted once HA.com returns to service.

7 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

My daddy used to tell me that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who rely on comps, and those who create them. 

YESSS!!!

If people always paid within the established comp range, PRICES WOULD NEVER GO UP OR DOWN.  It's amazing how people don't understand this.  We've been in a rising market, so it's only natural that people should be paying over and above the historical comps all the time.

I've paid above the comps so many times, sometimes shockingly more, that if I hadn't, my collection wouldn't be half as good as it is.  I'm categorically not saying that people should overpay for B pieces, but, I don't know anyone who has built a top collection without overpaying (at the time, anyway) for A/A+ pieces.

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Alright all you smarty pants market makers who don’t use HA for help in price discovery. Was this a good deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Original-Art-Pages-from-Marvel-Comics-1976-Sherlock-Holmes/383218569564

45 published Marvel Preview pages of one of Doyle’s most recognizable stories at about $66 a page, I’d say it was a good deal. 

8 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

My daddy used to tell me that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who rely on comps, and those who create them. 

Wolves or sheep?

Wolves or heep?

Dang it Daddy I’m a wolf! A wolf! No red line comp I won’t step over. I’m in it to win it. Bid Bid Bid !!!!!!

Edited by grapeape