• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAaaaacked!!!!

62 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Wolves or sheep?

Wolves or heep?

Dang it Daddy I’m a wolf! A wolf! No red line comp I won’t step over. I’m in it to win it. Bid Bid Bid !!!!!!

I’m a heep. Definitely a heep. 

I mean, follow comps if you’re in it to flip it. 

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Alright all you smarty pants market makers who don’t use HA for help in price discovery. Was this a good deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Original-Art-Pages-from-Marvel-Comics-1976-Sherlock-Holmes/383218569564

Yes ! A very good deal. Listen comps are useful information. But comps rarely tell us everything. Two nut jobs in an auction. One always wanted a particular page from Book A. The other bidder not passionate about page but gets caught up in bid Fever. Drive a page way up.

Now another page comes up from book A. You have the comps from that last sale but it’s going to take so much more to dissect the true value of book A pages with varying factors.

A collector pal o mine told me about a DPS that came up on eBay early 2000s. He gave up on it in the mid 5000s and it sold around 6 K. He knew it was one of the finest examples he’d seen by that artist on that character but he stopped.

Not because he didn’t have the money. No—-comps. He couldn’t value it at the price it sold for. I tried to explain that certain pieces of art you just have to go for it.

In the last year he agonized as the DPS came up for the first time since that eBay auction. Now it sold for $25,000. My pal is angry at the “absurd” price and obviously Is kicking himself for not getting the page back when. The buyer at auction immediately made his $25,000 win available at $35000.

Wolf or sheep?

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

YESSS!!!

If people always paid within the established comp range, PRICES WOULD NEVER GO UP OR DOWN.  It's amazing how people don't understand this.  We've been in a rising market, so it's only natural that people should be paying over and above the historical comps all the time.

I've paid above the comps so many times, sometimes shockingly more, that if I hadn't, my collection wouldn't be half as good as it is.  I'm categorically not saying that people should overpay for B pieces, but, I don't know anyone who has built a top collection without overpaying (at the time, anyway) for A/A+ pieces.

I'm probably going to start just saving up for one big purchase per year than spread it out like I have been. 

I recently bought a page of art from a book that has exactly ZERO sales comps. The only thing I could find was a page from that book on a dealer website, and the price the dealer was asking. I thought my page was better (the dealer page was a full page splash, but not as interesting), and I paid less than what the Dealer was asking. And, frankly, I have no idea how long the dealer had that page sitting there at the higher price unsold (probably for a while), so my price was probably more accurate for my page.

I'm getting relatively good at guesstimating value. I tend to undervalue things, though. 

6 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

$61 a page? For ink washed Art by Val Mayerick? Sure. I guess. 

Even if Hound of the Baskervilles is one of the greatest Holmes stories, unless it's a page with Sherlock in the deerstalker cap, I would probably would pass on pages from the story.  If there were such pages, the ebay listing should've shown it.

3 minutes ago, Will_K said:

Even if Hound of the Baskervilles is one of the greatest Holmes stories, unless it's a page with Sherlock in the deerstalker cap, I would probably would pass on pages from the story.  If there were such pages, the ebay listing should've shown it.

Not my cup of tea, so I would not have bid on it in any case. And it literally only had one bid, suggesting a dealer bought it for inventory.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

YESSS!!!

If people always paid within the established comp range, PRICES WOULD NEVER GO UP OR DOWN.  It's amazing how people don't understand this.  We've been in a rising market, so it's only natural that people should be paying over and above the historical comps all the time.

I've paid above the comps so many times, sometimes shockingly more, that if I hadn't, my collection wouldn't be half as good as it is.  I'm categorically not saying that people should overpay for B pieces, but, I don't know anyone who has built a top collection without overpaying (at the time, anyway) for A/A+ pieces.

Well, there's using comps in an attempt to always buy under established market prices and then there's using comps to discern trends and comparisons between eras, creators, titles, story lines, and items of relative quality. Not being willing to pay above comp range, or always making the value/discount play for items you are looking for, will make for a shallow or ultimately disappointing collection.

You've got to know where you came from to have an idea about where you might be going. There's no facet of professional life or personal hobbies that are made better by turning one's back on solid data. 

Comps are very valuable to discern value to date and perhaps even begin to establish trends (depending on how many comps you can find and how recent ). Comps can even help determine how "thirsty" the market is for a particular title, artist, story line, etc. which can be incredibly valuable when trying to ascertain just how stupid people will be when the live bidding opens. 

10 hours ago, grapeape said:

NO you wouldn’t have!!!! You would have looked at the comps and talked yourself out of it.

LOL. So true.

I make a full-time living buying while the rest are thinking about buying. And then selling to them later anyway...for 200-500% uptick :)

Sheep. More common than still bagged X-Force #1 even lol

Of course it took me a good ten years of taking on many small evens/losses against some few small/medium wins to get it right, but the twenty years that followed have been pure gravy.

I earned my shepherd's staff the old-fashioned (capitalist) way: risk-taking, risk management, patience, and most importantly perseverance.

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Alright all you smarty pants market makers who don’t use HA for help in price discovery. Was this a good deal?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Original-Art-Pages-from-Marvel-Comics-1976-Sherlock-Holmes/383218569564

Without seeing any of the comments that follow yet...Val Mayerick (aping Ditko...hard). Um...no.

This package is all about the break value. Assume the "best" pages are shown and the remainders (unless you happen to have the book handy to look them all up) are junk. Well even what's shown, aside from the splash...underwhelming. I'd peg these are $30/each fast (within a few months) re-sells. Maybe (as the rest are sight unseen, so...???) in a stack at shows. Not online where the fees will just mount over time and the pages will be competing with each other if listed separately and all at once (which is what you want to do unless selling four a year for the next decade is something that gives you wood? Not me.)

You'll want to double your money though, especially on not one piece but a large pile that will take time to work off. So you can't (imo) pay more than $15/each or...675. So unless you LOVETHISSTORYFROMYOURFIRSTCOMICEVER (or LOSTYOURVIRGINITYLATERTHATNIGHT!!!) it's awful at $2750. Also, assume the seller plucked anything "good" and is holding it back for himself for "whenever" and will be (sort of) competing against you -as a seller and with same but better material too- down the road.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

LOL. So true.

I make a full-time living buying while the rest are thinking about buying. And then selling to them later anyway...for 200-500% uptick :)

Of course it took me a good ten years of taking on many small evens/losses against some few small/medium wins to get it right, but the twenty years that followed have been pure gravy.

I earned my shepherd's staff the old-fashioned (capitalist) way: risk-taking, risk management, patience, and most importantly perseverance.

And your underlying assumption here too is that you got there by selling and finding buyers. Doing that legwork opens your eyes differently about value than just following auctions and creating an imaginary buyer in your head. 

(Unless, of course, you put it all on eBay at a penny starting bid then ducked under a table.)

3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

And your underlying assumption here too is that you got there by selling and finding buyers. Doing that legwork opens your eyes differently about value than just following auctions and creating an imaginary buyer in your head.

I buy two ways: for my collection and for resale. Different rules for each.

Actually few "rules", if any, for my collection. If I like it and can swing the price without being financially irresponsible: done deal. If I love it not just like it, same thing, I'll just feel that much luckier ;)

Bought on spec (not "for me" but a good deal) or quite intentionally for resale...doesn't happen unless I know exactly who (audience demographics, not a specific individual) I'll be selling to and when. Haven't made a mistake, except selling early even at 250-500% markup, in two decades. Not an assumption, fact, hundreds of packages going out every year since 2009 and at least fifty every year before. Actually doing it is the only thing that matters. Some folks may just prefer their fantasies :)

1 hour ago, vodou said:

LOL. So true.

I know a sheep with 100 copies of still bagged X-Force #1. "When are you going to sell those?" I ask.

Drum roll please: his answer....

"WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!" doh!

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I know a sheep with 100 copies of still bagged X-Force #1. "When are you going to sell those?" I ask.

Drum roll please: his answer....

"WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!" doh!

The rest of us sold too early. They will surely go for cover price...again...one day.

With last Sunday’s auction live on Wednesday @ midnight EST  (this Thursday) ?????? (wonder if they’ve announced this). 

(Looks like it’s now been changed to Thursday at 6 PM EST)

Edited by cesium_7
Additional informarion