• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC third party authority
2 2

94 posts in this topic

It's interesting to watch this video and listen to the grader talk about the difference between a 5.0 and a 6.0 on FF 1 and acknowledge the value difference of thousands of dollars, and yet CGC has no influence on setting these prices.

Though they are responsible for placing the grade, is the market accountable for setting the price.

In my personal opinion I feel CGC should have more influence on setting the price...

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

In my personal opinion I feel CGC should have more influence on setting the price...

How would they do that? People will pay what people will pay. It's nothing to do with CGC what prices books go for on the open market? 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

How would they do that? People will pay what people will pay. It's nothing to do with CGC what prices books go for on the open market? 

No, but they do acknowledge the pricing...I'm not a complete unethical pos scumbag, but how is it possible for people who are grading it not to be influenced by it?

The difference between comics and say $$$ dollar bills is monumental, you can scrunch a dollar bill in your hand, unfold it and regardless of its condition the value remains the same.

And it was a good video I wanted to share with the community...

Edited by Hollywood1892

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

No, but they do acknowledge the pricing...I'm not a complete unethical pos scumbag, but how is it possible for people who are grading it not to be influenced by it?

What? That wasn't your question? What are you trying to say here HW? Think before you type. 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What? That wasn't your question? What are you trying to say here HW? Think before you type. 

I'm saying CGC should be able to control the pricing, complete influence on the market. It's what I've been saying all along.

Beckett does it for sports cards, they have an authentication program, and they set the pricing for said products.

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm saying CGC should be able to control the pricing, complete influence on the market. It's what I've been saying all along.

Beckett does it for sports cards, they have an authentication program, and they set the pricing for said products.

It's my book or card though, I can sell it for what I want to.... cgc doesn't influence the seller nor the buyer, it's the definition of independent 3rd party grading. I'm sad to hear about Beckett then

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Forgive me Hollywood, but that's nonsense. Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow, that's just nonsense. Why would you say such a nonsensical thing? 

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Forgive me Hollywood, but that's nonsense. Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow, that's just nonsense. Why would you say such a nonsensical thing? 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Because...if I'm responsible for the difference between someone being able to sell a comic and receive the funds in return for a maytag dishwasher or a house, that is gonna weigh heavily on my conscience, so I should be responsible for setting the price. It's more than just an opinion...

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Because...if I'm responsible for the difference between someone being able to sell a comic and receive the funds in return for a maytag dishwasher or a house, that is gonna weigh heavily on my conscience, so I should be responsible for setting the price. It's more than just an opinion...

source.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

549D8051-8CFA-42F3-B059-60BE2B9B6D54.gif

I'm not sure what to make of this gif...its almost as though its confusion at first than ends with an enlightening opinion.

Hollywood, it's a picture of a nutter :makepoint: :ohnoez: 

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I own a comic. I send it in to CGC, they grade it for a fee, and send it back to me. It's my possession. 

Give me one practical way that CGC could exercise any influence over what I could then sell it for one, two or twenty two years after the grading event?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

source.gif

I'm being serious, I'm not being sarcastic...our hobby, and I'm an infant or maybe just infantile within it, is moving forward and CGC paves the way for the future, in my opinion.

Yes people buy raws and runs, and people read comics. I'm currently in the process of reading knightfall, but when it comes to the financial end of the market slabbed comics is the difference between a blue ray disc player and a beta.

Stop pretending your offended at my ignorance, you know it to be true...

I think CGC setting prices or values wouldn't work as they aren't creating the comic book they are simply "framing" it. 

Kind of like a Art Gallery you can't expect the people creating the frames for the artwork to set a price for what the work is. the Artist sets the price of what they want to sell their painting at and the resale market adjusts those prices. 

At some point in time someone bought AF 15 for cents and now through resale, demand and supply that sale of cents is now thousands of dollars. the artist or "comic companies" set their price when they first sell the books. if you go get it frames you can't have the framer tell you oh that piece of artwork is not worth the 15$ variant price tag its worth 3.99 but cause I put a frame on it, its now worth 150$ now its what someone is will to pay for the variant copy as well as the frame with it. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I own a comic. I send it in to CGC, they grade it for a fee, and send it back to me. It's my possession. 

Give me one practical way that CGC could exercise any influence over what I could then sell it for one, two or twenty two years after the grading event?

I retort with questions of my own.

1. Would your comic hold the same value if it was raw?

2. Would a raw comic be in the same shape one, two or twenty years later? With the same effortless comfort a slab provides.

If your answer to both of those is No than that is influence.