• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC third party authority
2 2

94 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Because...if I'm responsible for the difference between someone being able to sell a comic and receive the funds in return for a maytag dishwasher or a house, that is gonna weigh heavily on my conscience, so I should be responsible for setting the price. It's more than just an opinion...

I own a comic. I send it in to CGC, they grade it for a fee, and send it back to me. It's my possession. 

Give me one practical way that CGC could exercise any influence over what I could then sell it for one, two or twenty two years after the grading event?

giphy.gif ...... let's not take a saw to the branch we're on @Hollywood1892 There is no way they can enforce such stipulations, regardless on whether they "should or shouldn't" :foryou: they aren't the manufacturer, as your previous example would suggest, the owner of the comic comes closer.....therefore it is a "free market"

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I retort with questions of my own.

1. Would your comic hold the same value if it was raw?

2. Would a raw comic be in the same shape one, two or twenty years later? With the same effortless comfort a slab provides.

If your answer to both of those is No than that is influence.

OK, I'm with the guy who posted the nutter gif. 

Night Hollywood. 

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I retort with questions of my own.

1. Would your comic hold the same value if it was raw?

2. Would a raw comic be in the same shape one, two or twenty years later? With the same effortless comfort a slab provides.

If your answer to both of those is No than that is influence.

what if the answer its yes and no depending on the situation. 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

CGC doesn't hand out grades, can't! They determine the grade, we then determine price, they can't magically make a determination of who get's what value in grade now cash....

because even if they say a 6.0 gets a $200 price tag, no one may ever buy it until it comes down to $180

there is no way to enforce what your suggesting, and not that we should :) free market "capitalism" without becoming too political (thumbsu 

All CGC can do is allow the market to add grading fees on to the price of a comic book. but even then doesn't mean they can set prices. 

look at the recent example of a modern spidey book commerative edition or something that someone in England bought for 2$ pounds. I mean the grading fees and the cost of the book alone are more than that from the manufacturer. but the book sold for way less than the manufacturer costs and grading+ shipping costs. 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

giphy.gif ...... let's not take a saw to the branch we're on @Hollywood1892 There is no way they can enforce such stipulations, regardless on whether they "should or shouldn't" :foryou: they aren't the manufacturer, as your previous example would suggest, the owner of the comic comes closer.....therefore it is a "free market"

This is a very good point...but in some respects the slab costs more than the comic, so the retail value is more influenced by the slab in those cases.

I understand free market capitalism or rather laissez faire capitalism as much as the next guy, and to avoid political diatribe I am all for it. But there needs to be restrictions

What is the difference between the wackjob on Ebay saying "I'm not a proffessional grader but..." and an opinion 

CGC is far more than an opinion, in my opinion, and if ever the day they came along and set a price on the product they are providing I would respect it, than you wouldnt be getting such ridiculous variants in pricing, and I know at the end of the day its the buyers choice.

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

because even if they say a 6.0 gets a $200 price tag, no one may ever buy it until it comes down to $180

there is no way to enforce what your suggesting, and not that we should :) free market "capitalism" without becoming too political (thumbsu 

Ha ha

Did you see my response to you. I was thinking the same thing

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This is a very good point...but in some respects the slab costs more than the comic, so the retail value is more influenced by the slab in those cases.

I understand free market capitalism or rather laissez faire capitalism as much as the next guy, and to avoid political diatribe I am all for it. But there needs to be restrictions

What is the difference between the wackjob on Ebay saying "I'm not a proffessional grader but..." and an opinion 

CGC is far more than an opinion, in my opinion, and if ever the day they came along and set a price on the product they are providing I would respect it, than you wouldnt be getting such ridiculous variants in pricing, and I know at the end of the day its the buyers choice.

this is the key word to end your argument. They do set a price on the product they are providing. its called the CGC case and its ranges from 20$ to whatever per book. Remember they are not creating the comic. Marvel or DC/comic companies are creating the comic and selling it and they also set the price. 

Just now, Krismusic said:

Marvel or DC/comic companies are creating the comic and selling it and they also set the price. 

Marvel or DC puts between $0.12 and $3.99 on there covers, but we all know that's not where the price of the comic will end up..

Hypothetical situation...say CGC was the authority on pricing comics, do you think the market would change much?

12 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What market?  If CGC is the authority on pricing....there is no market.

The market is the product...since different companies slab there becomes a market for that...Beckett has a price guide for sports cards and there is a market for that.

I get it at the end of the day it is up to the consumer if they are going to buy the product or not, but there is no accountability on pricing, just in a sense "Chaos"

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm saying CGC should be able to control the pricing, complete influence on the market. It's what I've been saying all along.

27 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The market is the product...since different companies slab there becomes a market for that...Beckett has a price guide for sports cards and there is a market for that.

I get it at the end of the day it is up to the consumer if they are going to buy the product or not, but there is no accountability on pricing, just in a sense "Chaos"

So....you want accountability on pricing?

Please explain...

CD6004B8-E23A-4E51-B878-34EFFA53ED6E.jpeg