• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC third party authority
2 2

94 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

$250 for XForce 11 same dealer same show everytime, with an accurate price guide he wouldn't get away with that, how could he justify his pricing?

Regarding sports cards as you mentioned. Sure Beckett publishes a price “guide”. You must know by now that if a 1958 Hank Aaron in PSA 7 can sell in a range based on centering. Basically the market determines the price, not Beckett. Never has Beckett ever forced someone to pay the same for an off centered card verses a perfectly framed card. 

Not all CGC 7.0s are alike. If you give me 20 Hulk 181 CGC 7.0s, I can put them in order from best to worse. How can they be priced alike. 

11 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Regarding sports cards as you mentioned. Sure Beckett publishes a price “guide”. You must know by now that if a 1958 Hank Aaron in PSA 7 can sell in a range based on centering. Basically the market determines the price, not Beckett. Never has Beckett ever forced someone to pay the same for an off centered card verses a perfectly framed card. 

Not all CGC 7.0s are alike. If you give me 20 Hulk 181 CGC 7.0s, I can put them in order from best to worse. How can they be priced alike. 

That's a good point....

I have never understood how “centering” in baseball cards goes into to determining its grade. It’s the only part of the grade that’s the sole function of the manufacturing process, not degradation based on wear and tear. I think the criteria they have adopted for grading comic books to be more fair, with manufacturing variances not counting too much, if at all in the weighting of the grade. 

4 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I have never understood how “centering” in baseball cards goes into to determining its grade. It’s the only part of the grade that’s the sole function of the manufacturing process, not degradation based on wear and tear. I think the criteria they have adopted for grading comic books to be more fair, with manufacturing variances not counting too much, if at all in the weighting of the grade. 

Comics are not cards so the adoption of what constitutes a certain grade are vastly different despite being on a scale of 1-10. 

Keep in mind that prior to Beckett taking on CBCS, that card grading had nothing to do with comic grading.  Now, I do not believe that Beckett is changing any of CBCS' grading policies so I want to make mention of that right away. 

When you grade a comic book there are so many characteristics that can be assessed from the exterior as well as the interior.  Based on the nature of what a card actually is, grading companies can only account for the exterior characteristics of a card both front and back.  In order to determine what is better than another they decided that centering is a part of the card's grade. 

When a sheet of cards is struck, especially on the older printers, there is a certain amount of wiggle room when it passes through the printer so that it may make its way down the assembly line in a fluid fashion.  Because of this, if the card wiggles a certain way there is the chance that the card can be terribly misstruck and the card can be terribly off center.  This means that the picture as well as the states or info can be cut off to a certain degree.  As @Junkdrawer said, in cards, not all 7.0 are created equal. The sharpness and other immediate physical structures of the card are immediately considered in a card's grade.  After that, they start looking at centering as one of the possible qualifiers to make note of.   Now, keep in mind that CGC does this as well with certain characteristics of a book.  They will give a book a universal grade and note a manufacturing error.  

Take a look at the Roberto Clemente graded card I have attached.  PSA gave the card an immediate 8 with a miscut designation.  The older Beckett grade is included and they assigned it a 4 with a breakdown of the grades. The edges and corner of the card is an 8.  The surface is rated an 8.5.  The centering is rated a 2.  The overall card is graded at a 7.   In a way that is kind of nice as they show the grading between the companies is actually fairly consistent.  Basically the card is essentially an 8 where PSA designates it at an 8 with a MC qualifier (Miscut) and Beckett says that the Miscut brings the card down to a four by looking at the qualifiers. 

If this gets you confused wait until you see Toy Grading.   I have a POTF Luke Jedi Mint on Card with the coin.  The card was a 60, the bubble was a 75, the figure is an 85.  It's rated as an AFA 60.

1958CLEMENTEMC_NEW.jpg

15 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
15 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

549D8051-8CFA-42F3-B059-60BE2B9B6D54.gif

I'm not sure what to make of this gif...its almost as though its confusion at first than ends with an enlightening opinion.

Wrong interpretation. It's confusion that ends with homicidal insanity.  

14 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

To be honest...I thought it was a nice video, wanted to see what people thought about the video. I couldn't care either way about who sets pricing, I haven't bought a comic in months, nor do I care to buy one anytime soon....

Then (also to be honest) why are you even here? 

In any event, you're lucky this isn't the old not calm board days because this thread would be about 3 times the size that it is and your butt would be hurting a LOT more than it currently is. 

Edited by Jeffro™

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Thank you...and you cut to the core of me and what I am trying to say. To be honest I do get defensive, especially when I feel I am being treated unfairly, even if I'm not.

I appreciate your patience, and I will try to stay on topic.

Good response, thanks 

so I am confused about how CGC can even set prices even if it were hypothetical or something all they could do is be like Overstreet and publish a price guide if they wanted but since its just a guide the prices for books will change all the time based on when someone wants that book and how badly they want it. 

its impossible to control prices even comic book publishers can't control prices they can offer MSRP but they can't control a shop selling a 1:1000 variant for like 500$ when it cost 2$ to make the book. The shops even price the books differently as many offer discounts on pull list books to off the shelf books or whatever discounts they can think of or want to do to encourage sales. So even in manufacturer to consumer sale of a product price control still doesn't happen. 

I think you are considering CGC to be a manufacturer of the rarity of your comic book so thus creating a demand but in fact its the comic book publishers and time itself that creates this demand. Simply economic demand and supply curve that's how all price is created for all companies. 

@Hollywood1892

14 hours ago, Foley said:

I think I am now significantly stupider after reading this thread.

Yeah.I did some catch up on what I missed the last couple of days and am angry about it now.cgc setting prices lollol  and >:(

giphy.gif

A price “guide” like what Beckett does is very different than Beckett setting the price. People can look at the guide of information and then make their decisions. 

But also, even Beckett doesn’t come up with the prices. Their guide is created based on sales data submitted to them by dealers (or at least that is how they used to do it back in the 90s). 

As is, there is zero need for a guide because people can view actual sales on eBay and the various auction sites.