• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC third party authority
2 2

94 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

How does this thread not have 1,000 posts yet...?

Come on, folks! You're slacking!

:makepoint:

By the way...anyone notice the slight visual effect change in the emoticons...?

:popcorn:

Sorry, I was trying to draw. 

On 10/22/2019 at 1:41 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

1. Would your comic hold the same value if it was raw?

2. Would a raw comic be in the same shape one, two or twenty years later? With the same effortless comfort a slab provides.

If your answer to both of those is No than that is influence.

1. Theoretically it could bring more than it's FMV raw if the circumstances are right. Would it? Can't say until that time comes. Could it? Yes.

2. Properly stored in a Mylite2/FB combo, yes.

The seller decides what price to ask. "We" decide what they're worth. 

On 10/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Research of the market

GPA analysis and gocollect do a pretty good job of setting FMV.

I can do that. You should be able to do that too. I can't think of anyone here who can't do that. Hopefully most here do-do that.hm (thumbsu

Seriously, while there are nutty prices out there. who here will let someone tell them what it should sell for?- And if people can ask what they want anyway, including nutty prices, well... here we are. 

2 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Sorry, I was trying to draw. 

1. Theoretically it could bring more than it's FMV raw if the circumstances are right. Would it? Can't say until that time comes. Could it? Yes.

2. Properly stored in a Mylite2/FB combo, yes.

The seller decides what price to ask. "We" decide what they're worth. 

I can do that. You should be able to do that too. I can't think of anyone here who can't do that. Hopefully most here do-do that.hm (thumbsu

Seriously, while there are nutty prices out there. who here will let someone tell them what it should sell for?- And if people can ask what they want anyway, including nutty prices, well... here we are. 

^^

We could eliminate all the profiteers from the industry.  All we have to do is achieve universal acceptance that any and all raw books are valueless. It's not the book that is valued, it's the grade CGC assigns to it.. Once people don't have to learn to grade or how to price books, they will be free to devote more time to the important parts of the hobby. Those so called "dealers" with the years of experience grading and pricing books will no longer have unfair advantages over newcomers.

Seems like a well thought out plan to me.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, steveinthecity said:

CGC will assign(attach, attribute?) a value based on the market price for a book, but they don't decide/set that market price(value).

Why not? Why should a dozen old guys sitting around a table  in the backroom at Comic-Con get to set the prices?

Burn it down.

Edited by shadroch

16 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Why not? Why should a dozen old guys sitting around a table  in the backroom at Comic-Con get to set the prices?

Burn it down.

As long as they're entertaining themselves, I'm fine letting them sit back there.  The rest of us are outside bartering and negotiating for whatever we believe the comic to be "worth". 

Of course we're probably using the old guy's numbers as a starting point, but that's a perk of being an old guy.  The old guy's are given the benefit of the doubt for wisdom they've presumably acquired over the years.

ask-smokey.jpg

When a guy spends his whole adult life messing around with kids books, just how much wisdom is he supposed to be given credit for? Is it a coincidence that there are very few women who engage in being dealers?  

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

We could eliminate all the profiteers from the industry.  All we have to do is achieve universal acceptance that any and all raw books are valueless. It's not the book that is valued, it's the grade CGC assigns to it.. Once people don't have to learn to grade or how to price books, they will be free to devote more time to the important parts of the hobby. Those so called "dealers" with the years of experience grading and pricing books will no longer have unfair advantages over newcomers.

Seems like a well thought out plan to me.

Similar to not paying cooks.  I could cook all my food myself and/or eat it raw.  Therefore cooks/chefs and their training/experience/talent have no value to me.  Even if I CHOOSE to use their services, they should provide them to me for free.