• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boards much more calmer now
5 5

287 posts in this topic

I would say Nectar of the Gods, but since Nectar is defined as 'the only drink of the Gods', that would be a tautology-

Edited by kav

Not the first topic on this subject.

Back in 2008 it was much worse than when you joined.

New boardies were hunted down relentlessly: it was a blood sport.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Not the first topic on this subject.

Back in 2008 it was much worse than when you joined.

New boardies were hunted down relentlessly: it was a blood sport.

Yep i read some old threads-amazing stuff.  Also back then the mods automatically supported the old timers.  New members were considered 'trouble'.  When i was new someone made a shill, reported to the mods it was me (I didnt even know what a shill was) and off I went for a 2 week vacation.  

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I dunno, sometimes the board still gets accused of being too harsh on newbies.

you should have seen it before

My first thread on the board...as @Domo Arigato and @Transplant can attest...I came in with both guns blazing, ranting about eBay sellers (I know, shock.)

I instantly got a pile-on. The lesson? I learned that this board wasn't filled with pushovers who would pat me on the head and say "there, there...show me on the doll where the bad seller tried to put his ding'd up comics." That if I was going to be brash and bold, I could expect it in return. Much respect.

Especially from ShoNuff... :whistle:

(and if you don't know who ShoNuff is...you might be a newb. Time for some Soothing Newb Relief™.)

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, a much friendlier and better crowd here now. I used to avoid it like the plague. It’s a lot easier to be a turd on line than in person. Lots of lil pp’s when I started. Most of these people would NEVER say what they say on line to you face to face.

Hey, it is a comic book crowd. We all love them or we wouldn’t be here. Goes way back when we were real outcasts to the world. No matter what you love it should be OK here. 

I have learned so much here, hopefully given some of my 50 years experience collecting to others. And made so many great friends. Most I will never see in person but it doesn’t matter.

Now, the Water Cooler... tread at your own risk...

The ones that have to remind anyone who joined after them what a newb they are and how they dont know abt X or Y-

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And as a result, the newbs who were prone to nonsense, pettiness, deception, grifting, or just shameless self-promotion would be weeded out and would leave voluntarily, knowing their BS wouldn't be tolerated here. Those who stayed were put through the crucible and emerged better board members because of it...you, me, everyone. 

The Muscle_Sharks, the Capfreaks, the woman Nik took down, the supapimps, the Chip Cataldos...all would be feted and celebrated in this environment...and are.

Now...? The level of nonsense, pettiness, deception, grifting, and shameless self-promotion has reached record levels, and there are lots of people who visit, see it, and turn right back around.

Which is preferable is a matter of personal taste, but the pendulum swing from one extreme to the other definitely costs members either way.

I actually see Capfreak from time to time at the flea markets helping out his mom. Never talk to him though.

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

My first thread on the board...as @Domo Arigato and @Transplant can attest...I came in with both guns blazing, ranting about eBay sellers (I know, shock.)

Sounds familiar....some of my original posts uggh...time to time though I dig one up and have a doosie

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sounds familiar....some of my original posts uggh...time to time though I dig one up and have a doosie

This is not a sentence