• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old photos of yourselves with comic books, costumes, toys, etc.
11 11

433 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Captain America, 1977. 

773C6E79-D954-4FB4-92A6-ECB524A70688.jpeg

8D345543-D852-4D90-BA8A-0D67AF1D7062.jpeg

I used to work for that guy.  He really did have a lot of books in his inventory.  Don't know if he is still alive or not.  Been a long time 

7 hours ago, Senormac said:

I used to work for that guy.  He really did have a lot of books in his inventory.  Don't know if he is still alive or not.  Been a long time 

Nick Scotto The Comic Vendor. He had lots of cool books but WAY over priced. I used to go in on the weekends and deal with one of his workers to get better deals. (Maybe you!). I saw him about 5 years ago at the Shrine Con and he looked fine then. But don't know now. Man, back in the day LA was the mecca for great shops selling vintage books. Not any more...

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Christmas 1967. My brother and I with some of our haul. Man, I wish I still had some of those Captain Action pieces, especially that Spider-Man outfit mint in box like is was there before I tore it out 5 minutes later. Even though comic books and related toys were my life back then, this is actually one of the only pictures I have of me with any of it. 

2015025714_christmas19670002_edited.jpg.b217a7b5deea21c354d96f223d27aad4.jpg

Great photo!  Looks like your brother got gypted!

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Nick Scotto The Comic Vendor. He had lots of cool books but WAY over priced. I used to go in on the weekends and deal with one of his workers to get better deals. (Maybe you!). I saw him about 5 years ago at the Shrine Con and he looked fine then. But don't know now. Man, back in the day LA was the mecca for great shops selling vintage books. Not any more...

Yea Nick.  I was a delivery driver for him for a year or so.  Delivering comics to stores and markets that used his comic services. He had a lot of them too. There were 3 of us and we drove 5 days a week, 8+ hours a day delivering comics.  This was mid 80's.  His back issues were kind of high in the price dept, but he was always thinking a year or two ahead.  The Overstreet prices always caught up to him.   

10 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Christmas 1967. My brother and I with some of our haul. Man, I wish I still had some of those Captain Action pieces, especially that Spider-Man outfit mint in box like is was there before I tore it out 5 minutes later. Even though comic books and related toys were my life back then, this is actually one of the only pictures I have of me with any of it. 

2015025714_christmas19670002_edited.jpg.b217a7b5deea21c354d96f223d27aad4.jpg

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Great photo!  Looks like your brother got gypted!

I was 7 and my brother was 14. His interests were becoming a little more grown up. If you notice he got some black leather gloves that's he's wearing in the picture besides the clothes he's holding up. The Old Spice and the Magic 8 Ball were his too. I remember playing the h**l out of that Operation game with him and the family. This is also about the time he was handing off his comic book collecting days to me and I was picking it up.

A newspaper clip was the first evidence of my fall into comics.
Translation of text: What "Summer with speed"? <my name>, 4 years old, wasn't even remotely interested in the board of recreations new summer parolle. He took it easy and ignored both windsurfing and soccer.

tidningsurklipp.jpg

21 hours ago, Jaylam said:

i see the Mouse Trap game!! and that toy jet is awesome !!

i also see Chutes and Ladders !! everyone had that board game

Edited by 1950's war comics

32 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i see the Mouse Trap game!! and that toy jet is awesome !!

I couldn't remember what jet that was, I remember it was battery powered with the engines lighting up and making jet sounds. After some research, I found a few images that are like the one I had in the Christmas picture. Mine had white wings like in the 2nd image of the jets.

1714117903_baniffjet.jpg.248151e55fd96e562aa628f56912f187.jpg

baniff jet 2.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

I couldn't remember what jet that was, I remember it was battery powered with the engines lighting up and making jet sounds. After some research, I found a few images that are like the one I had in the Christmas picture. Mine had white wings like in the 2nd image of the jets.

1714117903_baniffjet.jpg.248151e55fd96e562aa628f56912f187.jpg

baniff jet 2.jpg

Mouse Trap was a blast. A group gift to all the kids in my house one year!

19 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I'm so excited, I found the Spider-Man outfit from my earlier 1967 Christmas picture. I can't believe I still have it after 52 years. It's in pretty decent shape (except where Wolverine must have got him in the left shoulder). I put it on my original Dr. Evil toy as my original Capt. Action toy broke. I do remember changing the outfits was a real bee-itch, the Spider-Man boots were super tight and a real problem to get on and off, and may be how I broke Capt. Action. Anyway, here's a picture of it I just took.

517873020_spider-mancaptainactiontoy2.jpg.54d061e46237d75b0f08b73004761a3d.jpg

That's awesome :)

glad to see it is still sturdy enough to be put on something! :headbang: