• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How you baggin' them nice raw books?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Over the years, I've seen people bagging and boarding in creative ways to protect their raw books, but they look glossy and attractive when handled.  For example, I've seen people start with magazine-sized bags and boards, put multiple boards in, then use different thicknesses of mylar bags to make something that looks great, but is also very rigid to protect those near mint books.

Ok, so I want to do something like that.

How are you doing that, and what do I need to buy? I want extra protection against bending and an attractive presentation.   I guess I need to buy a magazine short box to store them in, but what else?

Got pix of the final results?

For a couple decades, I stored my better SA and BA books using a 1 mil mylite and a charcoal buffered fullback, both sized for Silver Age books.  For the higher valued books (at least $100) I placed the bag and board inside a 4 mil mylar sized for Golden Age books.  The books look a lot sharper in a mylar with a fullback than inside a CGC slab and inner well, and they withstood a couple of decades of storage with the same cover gloss, color intensity, and cover and interior paper preservation.  All were stored in acid free comic longboxes, packed about 200-210 books per box.

Books of low value were stored in polybags with acid-free halfback boards.

If I'd had these archival products when my books were bought off the rack, the paper quality likely would have been even better, as would some of the structural grades - my collection went through two cross-country moves, the first without bags or boards and the comics just piled into cardboard boxes.  Here's a couple examples, one after encapsulation and one before:

Hulk181front.thumb.jpg.7bc36aea567742ea80dcb31e1a0fb083.jpg

ASM121front.thumb.jpg.8d8ed7e2c0a8ff95752c035706a737c1.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I used the E gerber silver/gold bags and one full back board sometimes the two boards made the comic to tight and had a issue sliding one in one time where it pushed the bottom up a bit and cause a small tear on the bottom staple. So be careful putting the books in the bag and dont double up if its tight. 

31 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I used the E gerber silver/gold bags and one full back board sometimes the two boards made the comic to tight and had a issue sliding one in one time where it pushed the bottom up a bit and cause a small tear on the bottom staple. So be careful putting the books in the bag and dont double up if its tight. 

I suppose it does depend on how thick the book is.  For example, an 80 page giant might be way too tight with two fullbacks.  I’ll usually slide the second board in between the first board and the bag (so it never touches the book) and I’ve never had an issue with tearing.

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I suppose it does depend on how thick the book is.  For example, an 80 page giant might be way too tight with two fullbacks.  I’ll usually slide the second board in between the first board and the bag (so it never touches the book) and I’ve never had an issue with tearing.

yeah in my case I did the same thing, but it also depends on how old and fragile the book is but what happened is when I started to slide the second board and bag it started to press the first bag and board really tightly and at the bottom I could see the page lift up slightly causing it to pull away and with the tiny pull it caused a small tear near the staple. as it lifted(shifted) the cover of the book over the interior pages; as it wasn't super tight against the staple (older book)

Edited by Krismusic
spelling