• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books from popular series or characters where none are known to exist?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

This is a little bit off topic, but here's a link to the Wiki page concerning the 1933 Double Eagles. Out of 445,500 known to have been minted, only 13 are now known to exist, and if the government had had their way, only 2 should have survived. The story of these 1933 Double Eagles is so intriguing, I'm surprised it's not been made into a Hollywood Movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

4 hours ago, Jaylam said:

This is a little bit off topic, but here's a link to the Wiki page concerning the 1933 Double Eagles. Out of 445,500 known to have been minted, only 13 are now known to exist, and if the government had had their way, only 2 should have survived. The story of these 1933 Double Eagles is so intriguing, I'm surprised it's not been made into a Hollywood Movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle

Hopefully, they're not so stupid that they'll melt the other 11. 

I was in DC earlier this year and got to lay my peepers on both the Smithsonian's examples.

There's a display in American History that has perhaps $100 Million in coins....the 1849 $20 (a $20M coin by itself), one of the 1933 $20s, a 1913 Lib 5c, several early gold proofs, both of the 1822 $5s...and it's likely no one else in the room knew how much that single case was worth.

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Was it ever made...?

IIRC, it's considered doubtful that it was. 

Just looked it up to look at the current OSPG notation -- it reads (#43 exist?)

I think it's believed not to, but then again, years ago, I recall one of the issues of Babe had a similar notation and no longer does. How cool would it be if a BB 43 ever turned up?

I thought it was Babe #5, but I have given away most of my old Overstreets and cannot be sure on that. I do have a #8 somewhere; that's pretty early; I will see if I can turn it up. Or maybe someone with an Overstreet collection can check my memory.

Fun topic!

Edited by Readcomix
More info

Teen Titans #20 (1969) has a story and art that was originally accepted and approved, but then rejected at the last minute because of a management change, resulting in the story and art being redone by Neal Adams. Apparently Neal was able to use some of the original art, including the cover, but according to the story I read (link provided below), the complete original story and art have been lost. I always wondered why Metropolis/ComicConnect has carried the notation that this is an "infamous censored issue" in their listings of this book and now I know why. The story involves some the greats of the Silver/Bronze Age (Nick Cardy, Neal Adams, Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, D. Giordano, Carmine Infantino and Irwin Donenfeld) and gives an inside look at the workings and interactions of the players involved in the metamorphosis of a book that was and then wasn't and then was again.

http://www.titanstower.com/secrets-behind-teen-titans-20/

Edited by Jaylam

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

IIRC, it's considered doubtful that it was. 

Just looked it up to look at the current OSPG notation -- it reads (#43 exist?)

I think it's believed not to, but then again, years ago, I recall one of the issues of Babe had a similar notation and no longer does. How cool would it be if a BB 43 ever turned up?

I thought it was Babe #5, but I have given away most of my old Overstreets and cannot be sure on that. I do have a #8 somewhere; that's pretty early; I will see if I can turn it up. Or maybe someone with an Overstreet collection can check my memory.

Fun topic!

Very interesting.

It may have been resolved by now, but the number Ing of Whiz Comics presented quite a mystery in the 1980s. The first appearance of Captain Marvel has no # on the cover, but is listed as #2 inside. Then two different books have #3 on the cover. I don't think issue 1 was ever released.

Double Action is about as rare as they get, as far as I know.

21 hours ago, drotto said:

I know early books are not only very expensive, but many are very rare.  Are there books of poplar series and/or characters where there are no known surviving copies?

This is, in other words, the definition of the Gerber Scarcity Index No. "11" ("Non-existent, but kown to have been printed."). From "The Photo-Journal Guide to Comic Books" (Golden Age), Vol. 1, p. A-10; see his further comment:

1572029633162-852017028.thumb.jpg.abdf8da7378228fc1f69c7a189fc6110.jpg

The Guide is from 1989 (copyright date). I don't know if there's been a No. 11 assignment ever since.

Great topic! :popcorn: