• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC gave me a 9.8-is it a mistake? Should I return?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I don't have photos or the slab in hand yet but I just saw my submission and my slabs at CGC have been graded.  There is good and bad news. First off, I bought 2 raw comics from Comic Connect and had them shipped to CGC for a press and grading (I wanted to experiment a bit). Both were Where Monsters Dwell (#15 and #32).  Comic Connect graded WMD #15 at 9.4 and the #32 9.0.  They came back  #15 7.5 and #32 9.8!  The graders notes for the #15 there was a ripe on the back cover and for the #32 there are grader notes!! I am somewhat confused that a 9.8 has graders notes, is the 9.8 a mistake?  Any thoughts on this?

Graders Notes on the 9.8 (WP):

light crease right top of front cover, very light wear all corners, very small scuff spine breaks color

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.35.35 PM.png

Edited by Xenosmilus

4 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I don't have photos or the slab in hand yet but I just saw my submission and my slabs at CGC have been graded.  There is good and bad news. First off, I bought 2 raw comics from Comic Connect and had them shipped to CGC for a press and grading (I wanted to experiment a bit). Both were Where Monsters Dwell (#15 and #32).  Comic Connect graded WMD #15 at 9.4 and the #32 9.0.  They came back  #15 7.5 and #32 9.8!  The graders notes for the #15 there was a ripe on the back cover and for the #32 there are grader notes!! I am somewhat confused that a 9.8 has graders notes, is the 9.8 a mistake?  Any thoughts on this?

Graders Notes on the 9.8 (WP):

light crease right top of front cover, very light wear all corners, very small scuff spine breaks color

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.35.35 PM.png

That's obviously a typo. They got it backwards; should be an 8.9!

So based on the grader's notes you say it cant be a 9.8 and maybe you should return for regrading because you want to sell it and dont want to accidentally cheat someone?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

So based on the grader's notes you say it cant be a 9.8 and maybe you should return for regrading because you want to sell it and dont want to accidentally cheat someone?

I'm just surprised by Graders Notes on a 9.8.  I've never heard of it before but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I'm curious if it's common or not.  If it's not common the Graders Notes or the Grade itself is probably a mistake...

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

I'm just surprised by Graders Notes on a 9.8.  I've never heard of it before but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  I'm curious if it's common or not.  If it's not common the Graders Notes or the Grade itself is probably a mistake...

Did you buy the book cheap and as a 9.8 it is worth much more and that's your concern?

Just now, kav said:

Did you buy the book cheap and as a 9.8 it is worth much more and that's your concern?

The census has only 5 books of WMD #32 graded with only 1 other as a 9.8. It's not a popular run but a few of us collect them. Some other rare 9.8's from that run have gotten over $1000 on Clinks auctions. I bought it cheap and don't plan on selling it but I don't want to have an incorrectly graded book.

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

The census has only 5 books of WMD #32 graded with only 1 other as a 9.8. It's not a popular run but a few of us collect them. Some other rare 9.8's from that run have gotten over $1000 on Clinks auctions. I bought it cheap and don't plan on selling it but I don't want to have an incorrectly graded book.

You may have hit the Jack Pot.  Cant wait to see what more experienced members have to contribute.

Did you personally grade the book before you sent it in, or did you rely on a 3rd party's grading and just let 'er rip at CGC? Sounds like it, as you didn't seem to be aware of the rip in the #15.

Or you did, still thought the #32 was a 9.0 and you are just not good at grading?  :baiting:   :sumo:    

Or maybe you just got lucky!

Can you link some scans of the book?

5 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Did you personally grade the book before you sent it in, or did you rely on a 3rd party's grading and just let 'er rip at CGC? Sounds like it, as you didn't seem to be aware of the rip in the #15.

Or you did, still thought the #32 was a 9.0 and you are just not good at grading?  :baiting:   :sumo:    

Or maybe you just got lucky!

Can you link some scans of the book?

I bought them directly from Comic Connect and had them shipped to CGC instead of me. I've had good luck with this from WWC.  I thought they graded the books they list but I'm thinking that was not a correct assumption. But I thought they (CC) reviews the comics before they send them to the buyer?  Anyways, it was a risky I know.  I don't know the first thing about grading LOL.  I could probably grade a 9.6/9.8 but anything below that I wouldn't have a clue....

WMD15.jpg

WMD32.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.28.40 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Graders notes on the #15 were

light tanning cover
light, multiple stain left center of cover
very small tear with crease top of back cover

lotta white on that books and it looks clean baby.

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

Yeah, doesn't look like a 7.5 :tonofbricks:

You won one lost one-but the one you won you won big!

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

Yeah, doesn't look like a 7.5 :tonofbricks:

Well you said grader's notes indicated a rip on the back cover. doesn't take a very big rip to bring an otherwise nice comic way down.

And the front of the #32 looks pretty nice! Can't really zoom in much, but I'm not sure what you are worried about,