• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC gave me a 9.8-is it a mistake? Should I return?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

Well you said grader's notes indicated a rip on the back cover. doesn't take a very big rip to bring an otherwise nice comic way down.

And the front of the #32 looks pretty nice! Can't really zoom in much, but I'm not sure what you are worried about,

I was worried about the 9.8 getting graders notes and maybe the 9.8 was a mistake, but like I said over all I'm happy.  I spent a total of $76 on both of them plus the pressing and grading fees.  With a grading of 9.8 on one of them I came out on top!

1 minute ago, Juno Beach said:

I'm a noob so I don't know why a 9.8 would have grader notes. (shrug)

Noob? You joined in 2012! :roflmao:. I agree with your post though.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe Graders Notes on 9.8's are more common on Pre-1974 issues (this was my first Pre-1974 submission).

21 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I bought them directly from Comic Connect and had them shipped to CGC instead of me. I've had good luck with this from WWC.  I thought they graded the books they list but I'm thinking that was not a correct assumption. But I thought they (CC) reviews the comics before they send them to the buyer?  Anyways, it was a risky I know.  I don't know the first thing about grading LOL.  I could probably grade a 9.6/9.8 but anything below that I wouldn't have a clue....

WMD15.jpg

WMD32.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.28.40 PM.png

So the 9.4 was graded 7.5 by CGC, (5 grades lower), and the 9.0 was graded 9.8 by CGC (4 grades higher). You won on one of them and lost on the other, coming ahead a little because of a 9.8. But what if you had only bought the #15, a big loser, grading 5 grades lower? I had no idea that Connect's raw grades were that far removed from CGCs grades. :whatthe:

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So the 9.4 was graded 7.5 by CGC, (5 grades lower), and the 9.0 was graded 9.8 by CGC (4 grades higher). You won on one of them and lost on the other, coming ahead a little because of a 9.8. But what if you had only bought the #15, a big loser, grading 5 grades lower? I had no idea that Connect's raw grades were that far removed from CGCs grades. :whatthe:

They were pressed too. I figured worst case was they would get the CC grade.

Edited by Xenosmilus

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

They were pressed too. I figured worst case was they would get the CC grade.

No doubt that the #15 looks every bit a 9.4 front cover grading, but then you turn it over and unless it's a micro-tear, with any kind of substantially visible tear, your CGC grade is not going to be in excess of 8.0, even if otherwise 9.4 territory.

I almost exclusively collect CGC graded books but on rare occasion, when buying raw, I never rely upon any seller's raw grade to produce the equivalent CGC grade. Not to say that CGC is overly strict, but more that CGC grades are "letter of the law" grades, every defect carefully considered in rendering a decision, with any seller bias removed altogether from the equation.

15 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

No doubt that the #15 looks every bit a 9.4 front cover grading, but then you turn it over and unless it's a micro-tear, with any kind of substantially visible tear, your CGC grade is not going to be in excess of 8.0, even if otherwise 9.4 territory.

I almost exclusively collect CGC graded books but on rare occasion, when buying raw, I never rely upon any seller's raw grade to produce the equivalent CGC grade. Not to say that CGC is overly strict, but more that CGC grades are "letter of the law" grades, every defect carefully considered in rendering a decision, with any seller bias removed altogether from the equation.

Yes I've seen many LCS that seem to have on site comic healing technology as purchased 3.0s become instant 8.0s as soon as the transaction is concluded-

Edited by kav

I would raise a stink with CC about the 7.5 though. On the 9.8 you pressed it, maybe that raised it. Don't give CC credit for selling you a raw 9.8, they did not. What they did do was sell you a raw 6.5 graded 9.4 after you spent $ pressing it.

Edited by the blob

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

I would raise a stink with CC about the 7.5 though. On the 9.8 you pressed it, maybe that raised it. Don't give CC credit for selling you a raw 9.8, they did not. What they did do was sell you a raw 6.5 graded 9.4 after you spent $ pressing it.

Problem is, since I never looked it over first hand, maybe they were correct and it got damaged at CCS... I can’t say one way or the other (shrug)

Edited by Xenosmilus

28 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Problem is, since I never looked it over first hand, maybe they were correct and it got damaged at CCS... I can’t say one way or the other (shrug)

I would stilm raise it. A rip is unlikely caused by ccs. They did not carefully grade the back cover of a less expensive book. It happens.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:31 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Graders notes on the #15 were

light tanning cover
light, multiple stain left center of cover
very small tear with crease top of back cover

If they (CGC) detected stains, then the book already has a top grade of about 8.5 based on my experiences. Any other detractions are going to pull the grade down even more.

If you haven't already, I would forward the info to ComicConnect. That's a pretty big miss and I know they take a lot of pride in their grading. 

8 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

If they (CGC) detected stains, then the book already has a top grade of about 8.5 based on my experiences. Any other detractions are going to pull the grade down even more.

If you haven't already, I would forward the info to ComicConnect. That's a pretty big miss and I know they take a lot of pride in their grading. 

It can’t hurt to try I guess. I figure they’ll just blame it on CCS and CCS will blame it on Comic Connect.

I can't see the stains in the image of the book, but they were very specific about it in the notes. When you get the book see what you can find. It might be hard to tell through the case but I know from prior experiences, CGC hammers the grade for stains of any kind, even if it's just a slight disruption of the cover gloss.

A while back they found stains on the inside pages of a book that I had missed. I was so frustrated and curious about what they saw, that I cracked the book out to check it again for myself. To the naked eye, I couldn't see much or maybe, just barely I could see something there, even though I knew exactly where to look. However, under a black light, low and behold, there it was as plain as day. Below is my attempt to video the stains that showed up under the black light.

1523798629_blacklightstains.gif.52c4aed97397ec9ff58f5f5505c85c28.gif

Edited by Jaylam

Those 9.8 notes, if they truly belong to the book, don't justify that grade.  Me, I don't see the breaking color scuff, the wear on corners, the crease - not from your scan.  On the other hand, CC while known for consistent overgrading by at least a full grade and often more, very rarely undergrade to the extent of calling a 9.8 a 9.0.  So there's that.

CC could care less about their grading miss, if you could even get them to admit it's a miss.  They rarely if ever take tanning and stains into account, if they even note them in the first place.  Missing tears is par for the course with them.  As far as they're concerned, it's a Suscha, and that's all you need to know.

For fun why don't you try and get some $ returned on the basis of the 7.5.  Report back please.  What's the under/over that they'll tell you some version of We're Metro.  Who are you?  Go pound sand.

I don't think ComicConnect inspects any raws consigned and sold on their website to make sure they meet the promised grade before forwarding them on to the buyer. I have only ever bought two raws there and both came back from CGC as having undisclosed restoration (CT).

If it's a 9.8 with grader notes, you should send the book back to get regraded so it gets a lower grade cause we don't need mis-graded books in the marketplace. j/k  some collectors actually think like this.  If it's a 9.8, close your eyes and take the money.