• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Does Page Quality Affect Your Purchase
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I know that opinions on this issue will vary, but I would like to hear your input.

Let's say you find a Silver Age comic titled "ABC Comics #1", with a grade of CGC 5.0 and Off-White to White pages. Let's also say that you're willing to pay the $500 asking price.

At the same time, you find the same comic with the same grade, but with white pages. Would you be willing to pay more? If so, how much more?

Also, at the same time, you find the same comic with the same grade, but with cream to off-white pages. Would you be willing to pay the same price? If not, would your offer be lower, and, if so, by how much?

Same question, but with light tan to off-white pages? Same price or less, and if so, how much less?

I know some people are very discriminating when it comes to page quality. Some will only buy White, while others are OK with Off-White to White, etc. I would just like to know how page quality affects the amount you are willing to pay for a book.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Joe

9 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I know that opinions on this issue will vary, but I would like to hear your input.

Let's say you find a Silver Age comic titled "ABC Comics #1", with a grade of CGC 5.0 and Off-White to White pages. Let's also say that you're willing to pay the $500 asking price.

At the same time, you find the same comic with the same grade, but with white pages. Would you be willing to pay more? If so, how much more?

Also, at the same time, you find the same comic with the same grade, but with cream to off-white pages. Would you be willing to pay the same price? If not, would your offer be lower, and, if so, by how much?

Same question, but with light tan to off-white pages? Same price or less, and if so, how much less?

I know some people are very discriminating when it comes to page quality. Some will only buy White, while others are OK with Off-White to White, etc. I would just like to know how page quality affects the amount you are willing to pay for a book.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Joe

This is very situational to me as in how badly I want the book, but I would always prefer white pages to off-white to cream etc.. but I am not one of those collectors that needs to have white pages. I would also pay a bit more for the white pages if I had to quantify it to a number it would be better expressed as a percentage for me as possibly try to keep it around 10% up or down as in willingness to pay but if it's something I really or badly want and havent been able to find then obviously it will change, maybe I would pay a bit more for the white pages over the off-white or cream - off white pages. 

I would definitely want to pay bit less if I see a cream pages and would probably use the 10% modifier for my consideration in purchase price. 

Again hard to set some rules to this kind of a question, but I would say that 10% price up or down as my guide for pay price; as its something I would prefer to stick too and be comfortable at. 

***Note*** My collection has variety of page colours, grades and labels. No grade, colour or label discrimination here lol JUST LOVE for the book!!!!