• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much influence do these boards have...
4 4

144 posts in this topic

I think its safe to say a vast majority of what I would consider my "big" (scare, high-grade, etc) books have directly, indirectly or abstractly originated in one way or another from the boards.  I've only been back collecting for just shy of four years so its easy for me to trace.  When I started in early 2016 @Shaolingoat basically said the boards were essential for information in general and it was the first (and only) forum I joined.  The boards are an invaluable resource for information and connections so I hope they continue to grow. 

Edited by comicquant

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Great question.

It is not so much that I did not know the books existed but that it was possible to obtain the books.  For example, these boards made me believe that it was possible to buy main title Golden Age.  The boards provided links to outlets and dealers that I never knew existed. They in turn led me to books that only appeared (for me) in coffee table books about comics.   

As far as other books?

I picked up several Sinatra books that I did not know existed because people showed them to me.  The Real Life Comics come to mine or the Dell movie adaption of a Sinatra movie.   I never knew about Planet Comics or many of the Fiction House books before these boards.   

If not for these boards I would have never known that GA artists such as Allen Bellman are not only alive but doing sketches which I have added to my collection. 

+1 

Hard to calculate because for every regularly contributing member, there's probably dozens who use the forum for reference and general information and never join or post!

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

+1 

Hard to calculate because for every regularly contributing member, there's probably dozens who use the forum for reference and general information and never join or post!

True... I started following the boards anonymously around October of 2010.  I finally signed up for an account on August 22, 2011 and then finally made my first post on September 14, 2011. 

One of my friends signed up here years ago and I think they have posted once but they regularly check up on things here. 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

+1 

... there's probably dozens who use the forum for reference and general information and never join or post!

Currently likely many who lurk around the forum for speculation reference and information, or, join, post one question about an ‘investment’ they are interested in, exploit the high level of knowledge here and then vanish, contributing nothing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Currently likely many who lurk around the forum for speculation reference and information, or, join, post one question about an ‘investment’ they are interested in, exploit the high level of knowledge here and then vanish, contributing nothing.

:pullhair:

Definitely keeps my eyes open in the cheap-o boxes. I now looks for newsstands for the right periods and buy books I would not have. Lots of books I find never would have occurred to me.

In terms of more expensive books where I am bidding against the world I tend to not be following the trends here because I am looking for a sleeper (that happens to be a book I like)

I am going to have to think if this board ever "revealed" a book to me that I then went out and spent real money on.

8 hours ago, kav said:

and yes I never knew of planet comics or venus or jumbo but now i want them like crazy.

this is the same for me I never knew about planet comics, jungle comics EC or the horror stuff but now I'll probably be on the look out for them.... Another rabbit hole to go down lol 

the only thing to complain about and its totally my fault, is that the boards definitely contributed and helped my wallet be lighter lol.... must buy more books... :ohnoez:

When I was getting ready to sell my ASM variants of which I had an almost complete run of up to #700 I came here to see why a couple of books I had were selling for so much. Namely of 667 and 678 I bought at an LCS when they came out. These boards helped me get more than I would have not knowing how in demand they were.