• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How common is this in our hobby?
1 1

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

As a buyer, if a book arrived detached cover, I would first assume it was damaged in the mail/packaging, then I would assume once contacted, the seller could think I opened the book up and caused the detached cover.  All this from expecting detached cover to be noted.  

I often buy low grade GA books and a detached cover is perhaps the easiest defect to grade, but unless it’s cgc I suppose I shouldn’t expect that it’s noted.

All said, if the price I paid for the book seemed fair even with the detached cover I might just keep it and note the seller as someone to be more cautious with in the future.  

If a book is offered with a grade of G, then it might be expected that the cover is detached at one or both staples, even if that isn't noted, although I feel it should be called out, along with any other defects of importance. 

On 11/1/2019 at 9:20 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Here is a fun question. How often do you think people who do this (crack and re-list with, "their grade" without including CGCs assigned grade) list the book at a LOWER grade than what CGC assigned ?? :popcorn: Come on...be honest now. 

I believe the only times i have cracked out a CGC slab IS in fact to LOWER the grade.  My grading is my reputation... if a book in a slab looks significantly worse than my books surrounding it, it can hurt my reputation with folks who don't have a full grasp of what CGC grading actually is.  I think it's only happened a couple of times, but yes... I have done it.  Also... if folks are so concerned with a book's grading history going back who knows how many levels... why not just stick to buying CGC books period if that's your thing?  Why concern yourself with a raw book at all? (shrug)

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

I believe the only times i have cracked out a CGC slab IS in fact to LOWER the grade.  My grading is my reputation... if a book in a slab looks significantly worse than my books surrounding it, it can hurt my reputation with folks who don't have a full grasp of what CGC grading actually is.  I think it's only happened a couple of times, but yes... I have done it.  Also... if folks are so concerned with a book's grading history going back who knows how many levels... why not just stick to buying CGC books period if that's your thing?  Why concern yourself with a raw book at all? (shrug)

I have cracked out many books for many reasons, but I completely agree with Tim's comment here. Especially in regards to popped staples.

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

20 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have cracked out many books for many reasons, but I completely agree with Tim's comment here. Especially in regards to popped staples.

This is good news to hear from the giants in our hobby!!! 

16 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

What was the date the grade regarding tape was changed?  Thanks.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

Books submitted for grading that were postmarked after May 3, 2013, were subject to the new guidelines. Books slabbed August 2013 and later should be safe; with books slabbed in May, June, or July, you probably can't be sure which standards were applied.

Edited by jimbo_7071