• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY 1st post

16 posts in this topic

Introduction.... I started collecting comics in the early 90's and went a little hog wild, spent a ton of $$ (for a 20 yr old it was lot). I had picked up about 200 comics, mostly all the Valiant line (all the sets most all at least 1-10 or more, Solar, XO, Harbinger, Rai etc... you get it ) and a few other key ones like ASM 361-2-3, New Mutants #98. There were some other off ones as well like Batman vs Bane and a ton of Wolverine. After collecting these and spending too much money I quit, bagged them all and put them into a nice plastic case where they sat in the closet for the past 30 years.

Fast forward 30 years and we are selling the house, getting ready to move so I decided to break these out to see what I could do with them. After talking with the local comic book store (and finding out I have a few great issues) decided to send 20 issues off to be pressed and graded, with all intentions to sell off my complete collection. While he was combing through my issues to see what I had I ran across the Clayton Crain Spiderman Annual issues (where Spidey has the America flag draped over & the variant of Venom) and WOW!! loved the covers, I was hooked.... SO fast forward almost 1 month, I again went hog wild in collecting comics again, the past month I've probably spent $4000-$5k, picked up a ton of 9.8 signed (and even 2 sketched covers of the Annual of Spiderman and Venom), along with some Black Cat signed 9.8's. But while snooping around a comic book store I ran across a cover of one of the Saga (Image) and WOW, what great looking covers! Did some research and not only do they have some great covers but the story is also well written, so I started collecting the entire set 1-54 gathering all the 9.8's possibly and then picking up loose copies to be sent in to grade. I also ran across Faithless (only 6 issues but with 3 styles of covers). Found someone who had all 18 bagged and boarded with un-opened poly bags, picked them all up and sent off the get graded. Also have signed #1, variant #1 and the Diamond variant all 9.8's, a completed set of every Faithless possible, These I might sell soon as a complete set once I have them back from grading.

Anyways what started out as me wanting to get rid of all my comics turned into me picking up close to 100 graded 9.8's.... ugh what have a done... :whatthe:

thanks guys.... its turned into an addiction.. I've signed up for GPA (for cgc) & Collecterz...After I complete my Saga set setting my sites on some larger issues, like Nyx #3, Spiderman 300, and then Hulk 181... not cheap but I think they will be good picks for the next 10+ years....

5 hours ago, Dculber said:

Anyways what started out as me wanting to get rid of all my comics turned into me picking up close to 100 graded 9.8's.... ugh what have a done

great collections are built up over a lifetime.....

Edited by 1950's war comics

7 hours ago, Dculber said:

Introduction.... I started collecting comics in the early 90's and went a little hog wild, spent a ton of $$ (for a 20 yr old it was lot). I had picked up about 200 comics, mostly all the Valiant line (all the sets most all at least 1-10 or more, Solar, XO, Harbinger, Rai etc... you get it ) and a few other key ones like ASM 361-2-3, New Mutants #98. There were some other off ones as well like Batman vs Bane and a ton of Wolverine. After collecting these and spending too much money I quit, bagged them all and put them into a nice plastic case where they sat in the closet for the past 30 years.

Fast forward 30 years and we are selling the house, getting ready to move so I decided to break these out to see what I could do with them. After talking with the local comic book store (and finding out I have a few great issues) decided to send 20 issues off to be pressed and graded, with all intentions to sell off my complete collection. While he was combing through my issues to see what I had I ran across the Clayton Crain Spiderman Annual issues (where Spidey has the America flag draped over & the variant of Venom) and WOW!! loved the covers, I was hooked.... SO fast forward almost 1 month, I again went hog wild in collecting comics again, the past month I've probably spent $4000-$5k, picked up a ton of 9.8 signed (and even 2 sketched covers of the Annual of Spiderman and Venom), along with some Black Cat signed 9.8's. But while snooping around a comic book store I ran across a cover of one of the Saga (Image) and WOW, what great looking covers! Did some research and not only do they have some great covers but the story is also well written, so I started collecting the entire set 1-54 gathering all the 9.8's possibly and then picking up loose copies to be sent in to grade. I also ran across Faithless (only 6 issues but with 3 styles of covers). Found someone who had all 18 bagged and boarded with un-opened poly bags, picked them all up and sent off the get graded. Also have signed #1, variant #1 and the Diamond variant all 9.8's, a completed set of every Faithless possible, These I might sell soon as a complete set once I have them back from grading.

Anyways what started out as me wanting to get rid of all my comics turned into me picking up close to 100 graded 9.8's.... ugh what have a done... :whatthe:

Awesome Story....(thumbsu

Welcome to the boards

On 10/25/2019 at 6:37 PM, Dculber said:

thanks guys.... its turned into an addiction.. I've signed up for GPA (for cgc) & Collecterz...After I complete my Saga set setting my sites on some larger issues, like Nyx #3, Spiderman 300, and then Hulk 181... not cheap but I think they will be good picks for the next 10+ years....

just when you thought you were out... the books drag you back lol Welcome to the boards... 

Glad your having fun collecting again. 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, 1950's war comics said:

great collections are built up over a lifetime.....

lies.... they are built with :flipbait:lol 

15 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

not 100% true although $$$ sure do help..

it took me five years to get these four issues and more money wouln't have made it much easier as they are HTF in anything but reader condition...

DSCN3667 - Edited (1).jpg

oh yeah I know it sometimes takes time and patience and jumping at it when you do find something rare. I was just messing around with the Money thing but it sure as hell does help find those rare books.