• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Pedigree Label do you prefer?
2 2

69 posts in this topic

BTW, whichever label color you decide to use, please use the font style on labels 3 and 4 for the pedigree notation. It is larger and cleaner.

7 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

1 is the best

I find that #1 looks like a photocopy.  Why not have say a red label or choice #4 that blends into red on the right side?  A colour that really stands out in any case.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:46 PM, Brittany M. said:

Hi everyone, based on feedback regarding our pedigree label release in July, we felt a slight modification to the label would be reasonable. Below are four designs we’d love the community’s feedback on. Please cast your vote by commenting with one choice only. For example, if your favorite is Pedigree Label Option #3, then in the comment please write "Option #3."

CGC will announce the chosen label shortly after voting closes, and will implement the new label roughly 4-6 weeks from that point.

We value your feedback!

Pedigree Label Option #1

pedigree option 1.png

Pedigree Label Option #2

pedigree option 2.png

Pedigree Label Option #3

pedigree option 3.png

Pedigree Label Option #4

pedigree option 4.png

On closer examination, Pedigree Label Option #2 is a clean looking label, arguably the best of the bunch. character0142.gif    It has neither arrows, nor finger pointing defects.  :kidaround:   

OK, Pedigree Label Option #3 (gold) sans arrow is a nice choice too.  Option #1 is too bland and #4 doesn't work well because gold lettering on top of silver loses clarity.

BTW, can the oversized grade box be reduced to better balance the foil security seal on the opposite side?  Just an 1/8 of an inch from the top and left side would make a HUGE difference aesthetically.  :foryou:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
More detailed POV

Well, after reading everybody's posts here, it's clearly a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

Well, from my point of view, I am fine with either Option 1 or Option 3.  Black and silver is a nice color coordinated combination from a visual point of view.  If Option 1, they definitely need to increase the font size for the pedigree name since THAT is the reason for the label in the first place.  If Option 3, they should make the gold color a tiny shade brighter so it stands out more as it just appears a bit faded from this scan that's been posted here.  

Don't really care for Option 2 as I personally think it's the worst of the bunch here.  Far too similar to the Universal label and I've never care for this color blue in the first place.  :p

Don't really care for Option 4 as the silver color is too faded as compared to Option 1, plus the gold lettering is overpowered by the black lettering everywhere else on the label.  

Pedigree Label Option #4

Having a secondary color there (the pedigree name matching the gold designation at the top) makes it look much more elegant and diffrerenciats it from other mono-colored labels. Type choices also seem might tighter in this one.

Edited by Sauce Dog

7 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

If you're going to use a special label for Pedigree, why not stick with what you already have?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mainly because a bland, colorless silver/gray label says nothing positive about the book.  OTOH, the blue label (option #2) suggests “this is a desirable book” which can either be verified as universal, preserved or restored through other information provided on the label.

Another effective approach is the gold label (option #3), which clearly states “this is a very special book” as would be expected for a distinguished pedigree.  Either of these visual approaches, blue or gold, has merit in my estimation.  

I’m also persuaded by Mr. Bedrock’s input about the slightly larger pedigree indicia. BTW, while the gold lettering does NOT work on the silver label (option #4), it might work effectively on the blue label (option #2) due to the contrast in colors.  Otherwise, the black lettering works best from an artistic perspective.

With a keen eye on presentation, decisions about the label design ...along with the occurrence of Newton Rings and other visually anomalies... will have an impact on my own purchases and auction bidding, but everyone’s mileage varies.  Hopefully, the range of views here will provide some constructive input.

And there you have it...

:tink:

On 10/25/2019 at 12:46 PM, Brittany M. said:

Hi everyone, based on feedback regarding our pedigree label release in July, we felt a slight modification to the label would be reasonable. Below are four designs we’d love the community’s feedback on. Please cast your vote by commenting with one choice only. For example, if your favorite is Pedigree Label Option #3, then in the comment please write "Option #3."

CGC will announce the chosen label shortly after voting closes, and will implement the new label roughly 4-6 weeks from that point.

We value your feedback!

Pedigree Label Option #1

pedigree option 1.png

Pedigree Label Option #2

pedigree option 2.png

Pedigree Label Option #3

pedigree option 3.png

Pedigree Label Option #4

pedigree option 4.png

Option 1

On 10/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, manetteska said:

What if the Pedigree comic is not Universal?

You mean like if it had a “Very Minor amount of dried glue on cover”?  Oh wait that’s a different complaint.  As far as the labels I’m anal enough that I would want it to be blue like my other labels, so #2 for me.

On 10/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, manetteska said:

What if the Pedigree comic is not Universal?

My votes #3, I wouldn’t mind having a nice big label of Church Pedigree on this book. Good question, will the label change regardless of being qualified?

04C0B0F3-B633-46CF-951C-02E7C41DED7D.jpeg

Edited by JoeRock

On 10/27/2019 at 3:21 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Mainly because a bland, colorless silver/gray label says nothing positive about the book. 

We're just going to have to agree to disagree here. The purpose of the label is to provide information about the book in a clean and professional manner. It is not to distract or call attention to the book. In my opinion, bland is good. But, whatever...

Just don't use rivets.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:26 AM, JoeRock said:

My votes #3, I wouldn’t mind having a nice big label of Church Pedigree on this book. Good question, will the label change regardless of being qualified?

04C0B0F3-B633-46CF-951C-02E7C41DED7D.jpeg

???

Who in tarnation would add three extra staples to a NM Mile High book?

Are there two threads going on with this subject?

imo, most important is to prioritize the pedigree, with universal, conserved, restored etc., under that (like sig series).  Aka CCG Pedigree Universal Grade etc.,

After that, I like #4 with the "T2" shimmery silver and offset gold in that it is somewhat consistent to the current label color.

Done, let's move on:)