• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite "Did you know?" fact about comics or comic creators?
2 2

136 posts in this topic

Here is a wild one...

Bob Wood, co-creator of the classic "Crime Does Not Pay" comic book in the 1940's. Had a tragic end. Murdered his girlfriend, served his time and was run over and killed a few years later by gangsters he met in Sing Sing and didn't repay a loan

http://www.crimemagazine.com/downfall-delinquent-short-unhappy-life-bob-wood

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster’s famous contract with DC sold Superman for $130, plus a 10-year contract to do the book, plus 32.5% to 40% of net proceeds derived from the newspaper strip, plus 5% of all other licensing.

In 1942 alone, they made $63,776.46 in Superman income, the equivalent of $986,459.35 in 2017 dollars.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

Artist Gene Colan modeled his Dracula in Marvel’s Tomb of Dracula after actor Jack Palance. In the days before Google and DVRs, Colan would actually sit in front of the TV with a Polaroid camera when Palance was on and shoot photo reference right from the screen!

Next time you see Larry Hama, ask him to tell you a Vinnie Colletta story about going out for dessert in Little Italy.   I will leave that here and let that be his story to tell.  He told it to a friend and myself at NYCC and we left wide eyed and laughing. 

50 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Here is a wild one...

Bob Wood, co-creator of the classic "Crime Does Not Pay" comic book in the 1940's. Had a tragic end. Murdered his girlfriend, served his time and was run over and killed a few years later by gangsters he met in Sing Sing and didn't repay a loan

http://www.crimemagazine.com/downfall-delinquent-short-unhappy-life-bob-wood

Crime did not Pay.

24 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

In 1940, DC Comics developed its first set of standards and practices. Among the rules, the word “FLICK” was banned, due to fear the lettering could run together and result in an altogether new word.

Yes Marvel did not get the memo

4 (66).jpg

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Next time you see Larry Hama, ask him to tell you a Vinnie Colletta story about going out for dessert in Little Italy.   I will leave that here and let that be his story to tell.  He told it to a friend and myself at NYCC and we left wide eyed and laughing. 

Neal Adams has been known to bellow "THE REAL SHOW'S OVER HERE!!" at conventions.

28 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Artist Gene Colan modeled his Dracula in Marvel’s Tomb of Dracula after actor Jack Palance. In the days before Google and DVRs, Colan would actually sit in front of the TV with a Polaroid camera when Palance was on and shoot photo reference right from the screen!

Green Lantern Hal Jordan was modelled on actor Paul Newman

Captain Marvel (Fawcett / DC) on Fred MacMurray

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Green Lantern Hal Jordan was modelled on actor Paul Newman

Captain Marvel (Fawcett / DC) on Fred MacMurray

I see it!

17 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

*John Totleben continued drawing for Miracleman even though he had 90% vision loss from retinitis pigmentosa

*Dont ever ask Jim Starlin to sign books with silver ink/sharpie as he has a rare allergy to it

omg this thread is blowing my mind!

On April 13, 2005, legendary editor and artist Giordano said, “I've had at least one Rob Roy to drink every day for the last 40 years. It's kinda become my signature drink.”

That’s 14,600 Rob Roys!

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Indiana University has a course in comic writing/drawing run by the Delta Zeta Sorority sisters:

Ok I want to join this Sorority now.

54 minutes ago, kav said:

Ok I want to join this Sorority now.

You'd be perfect because, well, you ruin everything and destroy all threads.You know, you'd fit right in with the kind of girls that say stuff like, "You're always ruining everything!"

Edited by NoMan

On May 10-12, 2002, artist John Romita Jr. set a Guinness World Record by penciling Spider-Man sketches and signing autographs in Times Square for 51 hours and 26 minutes consecutively. His efforts raised more than $10,000 to benefit his niece, who suffered from brain cancer.