• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite "Did you know?" fact about comics or comic creators?
2 2

136 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, catman76 said:

Because George Lucas is a huge Barks fan and a big influence on his creation of Indiana Jones were Uncle Scrooge comics. There's an interview with him in a documentary on comics from the mid 70s where he talks about his love for Barks, specifically Uncle Scrooge. He also owns a lot of original Barks comic art, he wrote a few introductions to Barks collections in the 80s.

Yup. That’s right.

I thought it was useful to illustrate the similarities with a direct comparison between scenes in the comics and their homages in film.

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Elvis Pressley was a big fan of Capt. Marvel Jr and Fawcetts. His childhood collection is supposedly in the attic at Graceland.

I was in Memphis over the summer and visited the Sun Studios museum. This was on display there...

kyl2sWmI.jpg

Some Frazetta facts

Frank’s Famous Funnies covers inspired George Lucas to create Star Wars 

The cover to Weird Science Fantasy #29 was created, like most of Frank’s drawings and paintings, overnight 

Frazetta had 9 strokes, one which rendered his right arm almost useless, at which point he started painting with his left arm

On 10/26/2019 at 1:23 PM, skypinkblu said:

But when I googled Alec Schomburg, I also found all of this :)

https://www.jpost.com/Arts-and-Culture/Arts/The-sad-story-of-Siegel-and-Shuster

Awsome thread and thanks for posting that skypinkblu!!!

The article did have me raising an eyebrow though.

An early quote from that article:

"Sadly enough, Siegel and Shuster made nothing out of Superman. They lived in poverty, screwed by the superpowers of pulp fiction and the movies."

Yes, DC acquired the rights to Superman and made a ton of money, but the author of that article must have a very different idea of what "nothing" is than I do. 

From later in the article:

"Joe and Jerry each received $130 ($10 a page), for the first issue and, fatally, for the rights to the character, which finished up in the hands of Detective Comics."

"After a few early issues, Siegel and Shuster were paid $500 for each issue."

"By 1946 Joe and Jerry were getting paid close to $100,000 a year ($1,081,318 in 2006 dollars when this article was written.....I wonder how many other people on the planet were making that kind of money in 1946), but they saw DC make millions off their Superman character."

"By the end of the '60s Siegel and his family were starving.  In 1975 the desperate pair made another attempt to sue DC for the rights to Superman. They were unsuccessful yet again, but an embarrassed DC decided to pay them a modest $35,000 a year each for the rest of their lives."

BlowUpTheMoon posted some similar information later in this thread:

"Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster’s famous contract with DC sold Superman for $130, plus a 10-year contract to do the book, plus 32.5% to 40% of net proceeds derived from the newspaper strip, plus 5% of all other licensing.

In 1942 alone, they made $63,776.46 in Superman income, the equivalent of $986,459.35 in 2017 dollars."

12 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I don't know if this is my favorite factoid, but, being a Doc Savage fan of the paperbacks back in the 70's, I was floored to find this little tidbit.

Doc-Savage-model-Steve-Holland-James-Bama-artwork-3a31.png.5a7d08ce30d1dd89b4591eda72603424.png

I loved the Doc Savage movie when I was a kid.  Due to that when I got older I also exercised 6 hours a day!!