• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

685 posts in this topic

Somewhat anecdotal but nonetheless you may find interesting. Aside from a few remnants of my tomato box O O collection, my collection today consists of 4 or 5 private collections leaning more towards the CA/MA. Each of these were compiled by collectors who shopped primarily at comic shops and not newsstand retailers and are representative of their buying habits, with only occasional newsstand purchases (probably when traveling.)

I believe that this may be reflective of most CA (and later) collections, whereas full or partial newsstand collections are much fewer in number due to local geography or inconsistent buying habits.

Edited by divad

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Are there any rare newsstands in the copper age? I thought they were pretty evenly distributed. I can see how getting them in 9.8 would be hard.

Undoubtedly there are some rare ones.  Of course the term 'rare' is somewhat subjective or relative. 

Like in pure absolute numbers, any issue with a really low print run, possibly at or near cancellation issue (because #'s are so low), would probably have less in existence.  Issues at the end of the copper age with low distribution numbers are probably rarer, assuming newsstand issues represent a certain percentage of overall issues, AND that the percentage decreased as time passes.

Finding out the distribution numbers of any given issue (and factoring in newsstand returns), or assessing rarity relative to demand are entirely different issues. 

9 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Are there any rare newsstands in the copper age? I thought they were pretty evenly distributed. I can see how getting them in 9.8 would be hard.

Not "rare," but significantly less common in HG. Nothing produced by mainstream comic publishers during the eighties is "rare." 

2 minutes ago, Bonthan said:

Very nice. Not a jeweler, but here’s my Canadian DD. I love me some flag covers.

image.jpg

Very Cool! Stars and Stripes! :headbang:

Ya it'd be difficult to find a Canadian price Mark jeweler, due to most mark jewelers inserts being on American military bases not Canadian, this is one of 2 that I even know of....