• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

686 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, divad said:

Jeez - all I did was blink and . . . @William-James88 has over two-thousand posts!  Doode - no job???? lol

William-James88

• Chatzilla
  • William-James88
  •  
  • 2,064 posts

@divadYou realize that you have averaged over 3,000 posts every 15 months since you joined, right? lol

So, I've been doing some organizing of some boxes of misc comics that aren't part of my collection.   I've annotated my lists to identify which are direct, which are newsstand, and which are unidentified.  I decided to filter on 1980 - 1994 for my Copper newsstand contributions, so here are those newsstand issues, as in anything with a UPC -- some are on the back cover!  A No-Prize to anyone who spots any direct market no-UPC issues mistakenly included!

4tOg7hSX_o.jpg

There were 2,852 comics on my list.  The images above are the 471 copper age UPC/newsstand issues.  My direct issues are quite a bit more common and total 1,498 comics, so that's about 25% of these issues that I've identified that are newsies.  Not that those figures mean anything, it's just an observation.

If you're doing the math you'll notice that leaves a gap of 884 comics... of those 884 comics probably over half are independents such as Eclipse, Valiant, Pacific, Dark Horse, Innovation, First etc.  But there are DCs and Marvels in the mix.  Some of them may have been direct-only titles/issues or maybe just issues where only a newsstand version had a UPC but a direct copy had no marking, so they are not so readily identified.  I know some indy publishers such as Now and Image clearly marked their newsstand issues but I'm not sure if that's the case with other indies or if they even had newsstand distribution.  Anyone know which of the "major" indy publishers did only direct sales? Or which of them had newsstand sales, if that's the shorter list?

8 hours ago, Warlord said:

There were 2,852 comics on my list.  The images above are the 471 copper age UPC/newsstand issues.  My direct issues are quite a bit more common and total 1,498 comics, so that's about 25% of these issues that I've identified that are newsies.  Not that those figures mean anything, it's just an observation.

If you're doing the math you'll notice that leaves a gap of 884 comics... of those 884 comics probably over half are independents such as Eclipse, Valiant, Pacific, Dark Horse, Innovation, First etc.  But there are DCs and Marvels in the mix.  Some of them may have been direct-only titles/issues or maybe just issues where only a newsstand version had a UPC but a direct copy had no marking, so they are not so readily identified.  I know some indy publishers such as Now and Image clearly marked their newsstand issues but I'm not sure if that's the case with other indies or if they even had newsstand distribution.  Anyone know which of the "major" indy publishers did only direct sales? Or which of them had newsstand sales, if that's the shorter list?

Would someone give years of comic book ages?