• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

686 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2020 at 9:41 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

1980s and 1990s Harvey Comics were also distributed to newsstands.  There are loads of those that exist as both Direct and Newsstand.

First (First / Berkley) is believed to have distributed their 1990-91 Classics Illustrated through bookstores, in addition to comic shops.  (Some copies have a barcode, others have a blank white box or no box on the back covers.)

Also, in 2003 I found Jack Lake Productions' Classics Illustrated Jr. at a newsstand.

Thanks for the info.  I never thought of Harvey so I've added them.  And I guess Whitman needs to be on the list with an asterisk because they differentiated between newsstand/comic shop issues not with the UPC absence/presence but with their yellow/white logo.

Are you saying that there are two versions of some individual First comics?  If so, then unless someone offers a rationale other than differentiating between returnable/non-returnable, I'd add them after seeing some examples.  Looking at all issues indexed by GCD I don't see any titles where the number of issues differs from the number of images to provide any indication these exist.  (Classics Illustrated has 29 images for 27 issues, but they show two "second edition" issues that accounts for the extra 2 images.) Of course, if the UPC/blank box was on the back cover then GCD wouldn't reveal that distinction.

Was the Classics Illustrated Jr issue on the newsstand different than a direct version of that same issue?

Updated listing of any publisher other than Marvel and DC and their imprints (eg, Star, Amalgam, Milestone) if they published a different version of their comics for returnable/non-returnable channels.

• Archie
  • Bongo
  • Continuity
  • Dark Horse
  • Gladstone
  • Harvey
  • Malibu
  • Now
  • Top Cow
  • Topps
  • United Plankton Pictures
  • Valiant
  • Whitman

17 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Just got this one back. CGC may not care about the DM/NS division, but I do. This 1986-87 miniseries predates the era of newsstand printings being particularly challenging to find, but that doesn't mean there's not still a hunt involved!

I think any newsstand in 9.8 is pretty hard to find. I've got tons of them from the early 80's when I'd buy them of the rack at the local drug store and I'd say at least 80% of them have varying degrees of creases in them from the book racks. Congrats on your find! (thumbsu

Been informed this is copper by

@ChrispyC66

And from cgc glossary 

COPPER AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980 through 1989.

could have sworn 1985 was the end of bronze

2020_11_14 2_27 PM Office Lens.jpg

2020_11_14 2_23 PM Office Lens.jpg

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Been informed this is copper by

@ChrispyC66

And from cgc glossary 

COPPER AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980 through 1989.

could have sworn 1985 was the end of bronze

2020_11_14 2_27 PM Office Lens.jpg

2020_11_14 2_23 PM Office Lens.jpg

I always thought 1984 as a cut off for Bronze Age. Usually between 1983-1984, I think.

nice books (thumbsu

Edited by ChrispyC66

On 10/24/2020 at 4:45 PM, Warlord said:

Thanks for the info.  I never thought of Harvey so I've added them.  And I guess Whitman needs to be on the list with an asterisk because they differentiated between newsstand/comic shop issues not with the UPC absence/presence but with their yellow/white logo.

Are you saying that there are two versions of some individual First comics?  If so, then unless someone offers a rationale other than differentiating between returnable/non-returnable, I'd add them after seeing some examples.  Looking at all issues indexed by GCD I don't see any titles where the number of issues differs from the number of images to provide any indication these exist.  (Classics Illustrated has 29 images for 27 issues, but they show two "second edition" issues that accounts for the extra 2 images.) Of course, if the UPC/blank box was on the back cover then GCD wouldn't reveal that distinction.

Was the Classics Illustrated Jr issue on the newsstand different than a direct version of that same issue?

Updated listing of any publisher other than Marvel and DC and their imprints (eg, Star, Amalgam, Milestone) if they published a different version of their comics for returnable/non-returnable channels.

• Archie
  • Bongo
  • Continuity
  • Dark Horse
  • Gladstone
  • Harvey
  • Malibu
  • Now
  • Top Cow
  • Topps
  • Valiant
  • Whitman

Walt Disney Productions

Comico

19 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

Walt Disney Productions

Comico

Good catch on Disney Productions, I should have had that one, if that's the specific name of the publisher of Disney comics.  I also see Disney Productions and Disney Publishing mentioned, so it's a little murky to me so I've gone with your suggestion and added it to the list.

However Comico blows my mind, I never picked up on their newsstand versions!  Cool

• Archie
  • Bongo
  • Comico
  • Continuity
  • Dark Horse
  • Gladstone
  • Harvey
  • Malibu
  • Now
  • Top Cow
  • Topps
  • Valiant
  • Walt Disney Productions
  • Whitman

4 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Hmnn Interesing. Always thought of it ending in 1991. 

22 hours ago, ChrispyC66 said:

I always thought 1984 as a cut off for Bronze Age. Usually between 1983-1984, I think.

nice books (thumbsu

I think even on the boards back when there were stickied threads that mentioned what to post in each forum, it had the definitions of the ages more close to what you guys are thinking, and it's probably why I thought so too lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think even on the boards back when there were stickied threads that mentioned what to post in each forum, it had the definitions of the ages more close to what you guys are thinking, and it's probably why I thought so too lol

Same for me, I thought copper ended in 91

I know 1980 straddles the line between bronze and copper for some, so I figured I'd post in the forum with the more active newsstand thread.

I'm getting up to speed on them (being relatively new to this particular rabbit hole), and came across this auction listing:

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DX%2Dmen%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1435561&id=1435561&itemType=0

Is this actually a newsstand book? Or does the line through the upc code indicate its actually a direct edition? Sorry if this ones been covered...

Edited by Legion of Goom

1 hour ago, Legion of Goom said:

I know 1980 straddles the line between bronze and copper for some, so I figured I'd post in the forum with the more active newsstand thread.

I'm getting up to speed on them (being relatively new to this particular rabbit hole), and came across this auction listing:

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3DX%2Dmen%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1435561&id=1435561&itemType=0

Is this actually a newsstand book? Or does the line through the upc code indicate its actually a direct edition? Sorry if this ones been covered...

Very early Direct Edition.

2 hours ago, Legion of Goom said:

www.Newsstand101.com or www.DirectEdition101.com (whichever you prefer, same website)

ns_v_de-1.png