• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

685 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

www.Newsstand101.com or www.DirectEdition101.com (whichever you prefer, same website)

ns_v_de-1.png

Thanks. The second from the bottom on the left of the direct editions confuses me though?  Nothing that indicates direct?  If not it must get confused for newsstand all the time. 

On that one, the second set of number in the bar is more than 2 numbers in the set, as you can see on the newsstand side of things it aways ended with 2 number in the second set :) 

17 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

On that one, the second set of number in the bar is more than 2 numbers in the set, as you can see on the newsstand side of things it aways ended with 2 number in the second set :) 

Yep, that's the graphic that starts Newsstand101.com and DirectEdition101.com: (thumbsu

ns_v_de_right.png

...but the Newsstand-With-A-Slash-Through-It is what Direct Editions looked like before they got the 5 digit numbering.

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

For the nickle it's worth, I SUSPECT this particular oddball was actually direct, not newsstand in terms of where it was actually distributed.  I bought it when it was maybe 3-4 years old, and knowing the store I got it from and the condition I suspect it was former shelf stock.  But that's just an informed guess.

18 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:
THOR 337 1st Beta Ray Bill Canadian variant:
Simonson's Thor run is among one of the best of the copper age imho & I have been after this for a few years & could never find the right book at the right price, there are 9.8s and there are 9.8s and the 75cent newsstand white cover is wicked tuff with sharp corners.

lf.jpg

OK . . .  This is VERY NICE!

cheers,

d

On 12/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, OtherEric said:

Same as any other Double Cover, I presume; only it happened exactly as they were changing plates from the Direct Editions to the Newsstand Editions.

An odd one for sure - never seen that before. (thumbsu

On 12/11/2020 at 10:11 PM, OtherEric said:
On 12/11/2020 at 9:59 PM, Warlord said:

Wow, how is that even possible?

Same as any other Double Cover, I presume; only it happened exactly as they were changing plates from the Direct Editions to the Newsstand Editions.

I'm not sure about this specific period, but I always understood that the covers were printed separately - all the interiors were printed the same and then the covers added. In practice, maybe a pile of covers was added to the cover-adding apparatus (I know all the technical terms :bigsmile:) which comprised the last batch of one cover type and the first of the next. The usual double cover causing glitch kicked in at the point the first and last were fed through, hence the result of one newsstand, one direct. A rare occurrence I'll bet, but maybe the presence of two separate cover groups added together actually increased the possibility, through some tiny mid-run paper misalignment, of the double covers happening in the first place.

I may have just speculated a load of old ill-informed rubbish there - which wouldn't be the first time - but that's how I see it happening in my mind.