• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Copper Age Newsstands!
15 15

686 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

(tsk) That's not a newsstand edition.

Enlighten us unworthy ones . . .(worship)

Is this one of the exceptions that were only issued like this???

Edited by divad

Seriously, that book is no picnic to find in 9.8 (especially frustrating when you consider the billions of direct copies available). The other newsstand copper keys I've looked for have been relatively easy and I've had the luxury of holding out for nice wraps, white pages, etc. Bats 404? It took over a year before I found --a-- copy in 9.8. Seems more like two-plus years that I sifted through the saved search emails, but I don't want to embellish without proof and all my old emails have been deleted. Swamp Thing 21 is another I'll look for occasionally, but that's tough to find in either version. I remember one coming up on CLink a few years back before newsstands really got much of a premium and seem like it might've gotten into the mid-200's. Wrap was a bit wonky IIRC so I let it go without much of a fight. Probably a mistake on my part. 

8 hours ago, divad said:

Seems to me that there are a lot more modern newsstands than coppers out there (based on the respective threads. hm

can't tell if you're joking (probably), but I think people are much less impressed with newsstands from the copper age, both in terms of other people's comics, and their own.  While probably rarer in ultra high grade, for most of the copper age they were readily available for most (but certainly not all) issues.

9 hours ago, revat said:

can't tell if you're joking (probably), but I think people are much less impressed with newsstands from the copper age, both in terms of other people's comics, and their own.  While probably rarer in ultra high grade, for most of the copper age they were readily available for most (but certainly not all) issues.

Tru dat. I have a longbox of Copper newsies, probably more. As far as HG goes, I have to dig them out and take a looksie. hm

Edited by mr_highgrade

14 hours ago, shiverbones said:

Newsstand coppers coming in are less than 10%, bronze about 25%, as expected I guess 

You're calculation of the BA may be slightly off, or the books are heavily slanted towards the end of the BA. :wink:

On 10/31/2019 at 8:30 AM, BrooksR said:

Are there any rare newsstands in the copper age? I thought they were pretty evenly distributed. I can see how getting them in 9.8 would be hard.

The rare ones would tend to be the indies...like Comico and Now...that had limited newsstand distribution.

Of DC and Marvel, there is functionally NO difficult to find newsstands of any book that had newsstand distribution. The earlier in the era you get, the more common they are.

You have to get into 1994-1995 to start to find rare newsstands, and since most folks end Copper at 1991-1992, that leaves that out. 

A good example would be Sandman #68 (?)-#75. Newsstands copies exist for these, even though the title was Direct only, and it's apparently because book sellers were selling Sandman trades like gangbusters...but had to Direct order (if they did) Sandman issues.

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The rare ones would tend to be the indies...like Comico and Now...that had limited newsstand distribution.

Of DC and Marvel, there is functionally NO difficult to find newsstands of any book that had newsstand distribution. The earlier in the era you get, the more common they are.

You have to get into 1994-1995 to start to find rare newsstands, and since most folks end Copper at 1991-1992, that leaves that out. 

A good example would be Sandman #68 (?)-#75. Newsstands copies exist for these, even though the title was Direct only, and it's apparently because book sellers were selling Sandman trades like gangbusters...but had to Direct order (if they did) Sandman issues.

This is basically correct, but a little harsh in its conclusory language. All newsies are harder to find in HG by virtue of end-to-end handling. HG newsies after approx 1985 are not only HTF but getting increasingly harder to find. I would suggest that modern newsies after 2005 are fairly plentiful in HG, although still present at a much lower percentage than Direct copies. The straight-line hypothesis posed in other threads is purely an over simplification of the real world. The Sandman example is an anomaly. But discourse rules, of course.  :bigsmile: