• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #251 Cover Art Being Auctioned (Guess The Final Bid, all ya'll Smarty Pantses !!)
1 1

Final Bid For Batman #251  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Batman #251 original art cover will sell for?

• 0 - $50,000
    • $50,000 - $100,000
    • $100,000 - $200,000
    • $200,000 - $300,000
    • $300,000 - $400,000
    • $400,000 - $500,000
    • $500,000 - $750,000
    • $750,000 - $1,000,000
    • $1,000,000 - $1,500,000
    • $1,500,000 - $2,000,000
    • $2,000,000 +

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2019 at 04:00 PM

153 posts in this topic

https://13thdimension.com/neal-adams-original-batman-251-cover-art-could-sell-for-250000/?fbclid=IwAR0Q5p1iMcB3BMEkDO99k4EdY33UmktZNvaD0n6tkPTDiQlQaM2BCYMRLsM

Article says estimate is $250,000 -- I'm thinking this will go closer to $500,000.

What say you?

Edited by NamesJay

4 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I predict that during the live auction Neal Adams activates a remote device that releases the art from its frame and into a shredder 🖼 

Banksy Adams gets us again!!!!

Edited by grapeape

IF this is considered by the high end Neal Adams collectors as his most important Batman cover and Neal Adams is on many collector’s Mount Rushmore of comic book artists.... could this be the one that hits the 1M mark? If not, would any of his covers reach that level? 

If you mark him off as being able to hit 1M with a cover, would any LIVING comic book artist be able to hit that mark? 

Miller- DD 181?

Byrne- X-Men 137?

Byrne- X-Men 141?

7 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

IF this is considered by the high end Neal Adams collectors as his most important Batman cover and Neal Adams is on many collector’s Mount Rushmore of comic book artists.... could this be the one that hits the 1M mark? If not, would any of his covers reach that level? 

If you mark him off as being able to hit 1M with a cover, would any LIVING comic book artist be able to hit that mark? 

Miller- DD 181?

Byrne- X-Men 137?

Byrne- X-Men 141?

Not $1M. I think Neal's time has already past, but not everybody knows it yet (unlike BWS). I pegged this with my vote at 400-500, but 80 of that is going to the House not consignor ;) Picked that range because this is not a piece that will fail (that will not be allowed if nothing else, ala Fraz EQ, by a number of people) and if you have any interest in Neal (I don't but some do, and most importantly the biggest wallets still do) this is one of the best if not the best covers you could ever get by Neal. So it won't go cheap but it won't set any new b/w (non-Fraz) comic art records either. I M O (which is just and only that, so whatever and fade it as appropriate lol )

Um, ditto above on the Miller and Byrne examples above too. I think the sun is setting (slowly, but surely) on everything 60s, 70s, and even 80s while mid-way to peaking, has a peak near and an accelerated fall-off to come, faster than previous Marvel Age decades because of demographics simply taking the driver's seat away. 1990s Image Age...maybe the coming savior...maybe the fastest peak-to-fall of them all?!

35 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Miller- DD 181?

Byrne- X-Men 137?

Byrne- X-Men 141?

I wouldn’t consider it the peak. There are several others I like more. 

49 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Miller- DD 181?

Byrne- X-Men 137?

Byrne- X-Men 141?

I think Byrne UXM #137 and 141 covers would have the best chance of hitting $1M nowadays, but, I'd probably still take the under.  But, I think these would be the frontrunners. 

Jim Lee X-Men #1E gatefold cover might be a surprise pick (though, arguably counts as multiple covers).  

John Romita ASM #39?  Would be a stretch considering that would be a big premium over the #50, but, maybe.  

Frank Miller...I'd have to take the under.  DKR #1 and #2 I don't think are there, and I don't think any Daredevil cover would be.  

Todd McFarlane?  I doubt the McSpidey 1 has tripled in value, which is probably his most iconic piece.  ASM #328 has probably declined in value since 2012.

Neal Adams...I think the Bats #251 is probably his most valuable cover.  Maybe the Supes vs. Muhammad Ali cover.  I see Bats #227 and #232 being not as valuable as the #251, and the #251 will blow past the GL #76 IMO.  

I'd be surprised if the #251 sells for less than $504K all-in ($420K plus the BP). I'll make my official prediction $660K, because HA will want to break the Hulk #180 page/ASM #328 mark.  Will they find a buyer(s) to push it past Fritz the Cat ($717K)?  Given the 20% BP vs. old 19.5%, they'd "only" need to match Fritz's $600K hammer this time around to set a new mark at $720K.  

So, my official guess:  $660K, with a range of $504K to $720K.  I'd be more surprised if it goes for less than $504K than if it gets more than $720K, though. 2c 

23 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

So, my official guess:  $660K, with a range of $504K to $720K.  I'd be more surprised if it goes for less than $504K than if it gets more than $720K, though. 2c 

I would totally "Price is Right" you by a dollar if I could pin down your range to a single number.  

23 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I would totally "Price is Right" you by a dollar if I could pin down your range to a single number.  

So, my official guess:  $660K, with a range of $504K to $720K.

$660K...is your guess $659,999 or $660,001???

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I think Neal's time has already past, but not everybody knows it yet (unlike BWS).

Agreed. And as I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't want to be holding this piece past about $350K. I think there are better Marvel trophies to be had above that price point. But I think Heritage will game this out to the tune of $500-600K BP included.

9 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I’m gonna say under the GL #76 cover on the Batman 251. Barely breaks $400K, if that. Would not shock me to go way under, say around $250K. 

No, just no.  

1 minute ago, BCarter27 said:

But I think Heritage will game this out to the tune of $500-600K BP included.

At least. I would be less surprised by a 7-handle than a 4-handle, all-in.  Most likely a 5 or 6 handle.  Chance of a 2 or 3 handle is somewhere between Slim and None and Slim just left the building. 

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

So, my official guess:  $660K, with a range of $504K to $720K.

$660K...is your guess $659,999 or $660,001???

If we "price is right" it I have to either go $1 or $660,001.

This is going to take further thought.