• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #251 Cover Art Being Auctioned (Guess The Final Bid, all ya'll Smarty Pantses !!)
1 1

Final Bid For Batman #251  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Batman #251 original art cover will sell for?

• 0 - $50,000
    • $50,000 - $100,000
    • $100,000 - $200,000
    • $200,000 - $300,000
    • $300,000 - $400,000
    • $400,000 - $500,000
    • $500,000 - $750,000
    • $750,000 - $1,000,000
    • $1,000,000 - $1,500,000
    • $1,500,000 - $2,000,000
    • $2,000,000 +

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2019 at 04:00 PM

153 posts in this topic

Just now, delekkerste said:

No, just no.  

At least. I would be less surprised by a 7-handle than a 4-handle, all-in.  Most likely a 5 or 6 handle.  Chance of a 2 or 3 handle is somewhere between Slim and None and Slim just left the building. 

I love it when you talk Street.....Wall Street that is. 

7 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Agreed. And as I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't want to be holding this piece past about $350K. I think there are better Marvel trophies to be had above that price point.

I don't think $350K in Marvel trophy land buys you what you think it does anymore. 

10 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Agreed. And as I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't want to be holding this piece past about $350K. I think there are better Marvel trophies to be had above that price point. But I think Heritage will game this out to the tune of $500-600K BP included.

Yes. There may be some gamesmanship to get it up there, but I don't think a straight up auction would do it. I disagree with Gene on this, strongly. (Which is a brave stance, admittedly). 

Any guesses on the Cat in the Hat lunchbox art? If that was actually Geisel, it would be astronomical. But, it's just some unknown commercial artist, I assume?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/the-world-of-dr-seuss-cat-in-the-hat-lunchbox-illustration-original-art-aladdin-industries-1970-andlt-/p/7212-61001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Nah, totally not my bag, don't follow that part of the market closely. 

Are you interested in the 2000 AD #2 Dredd debut 5 pager from Mick McCMahon? My eyes popped out of my head when I saw that. That's the Amazing Fantasy #15 interior art of British Comics.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

10 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Are you interested in the 2000 AD #2 Dredd debut 5 pager from Mick McCMahon? My eyes popped out of my head when I saw that. That's the Amazing Fantasy #15 interior art of British Comics.

Wow, very cool

22 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I don't think $350K in Marvel trophy land buys you what you think it does anymore. 

Probably so. But I'd still be more bull-ish on those "lesser" trophies in regards to future values.

I know we are being fairly vague here, but I think a lot of trophy buying has to do with the type of collector. A new-ish collector writing a check? Or someone established who is going to have to make some hard decisions about which pieces to effectively "trade" for a mid six-figure piece?

30 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Marvel Trophy Land is not my scene.   What's the lay of the land?   

Sample pieces that might net 350?  (no need to use real examples; protect the innocent)?

34 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Marvel Trophy Land is not my scene.   What's the lay of the land?   

Sample pieces that might net 350?  (no need to use real examples; protect the innocent)?

I think the Iron Man/Subby #1 cover can be had for around that level (sold for $240K last year but seen earlier this year with like a $400K price tag IIRC).  

Maybe a minor key Byrne XM cover like #129?  To be clear, it's not for sale, but, $350K is probably in the ballpark I suspect.  There are probably other covers from the run in that range (and some that are much higher, to be sure).  

ASM #100 sold for $478K last year...really have a hard time seeing the Batman #251 selling for less, even if the former may be a bit of an outlier.  I suspect ASM #121 may be in the $350K range now...not a big % gain from where it sold 6 years ago, but, I don't see it as a half million dollar type of cover, personally.  That's obviously a key book, but, not the most beloved cover in OA form, to be fair. 

Probably some of the better twice-up Kirby FF and Romita ASM covers.  Great examples from the run, but, not the true keys.  

Maybe the BWS Conan #24?  The heat is obviously off of BWS Conan nowadays, but, that one would still fetch a big price I'm sure.  $350K doesn't seem crazy to me for that one, though, it's probably no more than it would have fetched 5 years ago.  Maybe Conan #1?  

DD #181 is probably above that range nowadays, but, what's the next most valuable Miller Marvel cover?  Wolverine Mini #1 maybe?  DD #168? 

Tomb of Dracula #10? :fear: 

There's probably a McFarlane or two in that range I would think...

Just spitballing here...there's still obviously a lot of nice stuff you can buy for $350K in Marvel cover land, but, the truly big keys and iconic images I suspect are mostly above that price point now. 

Edited by delekkerste

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I think the Iron Man/Subby #1 cover can be had for around that level (sold for $240K last year but seen earlier this year with like a $400K price tag IIRC).  

Maybe a minor key Byrne XM cover like #129?  To be clear, it's not for sale, but, $350K is probably in the ballpark I suspect.  There are probably other covers from the run in that range (and some that are much higher, to be sure).  

ASM #100 sold for $478K last year...really have a hard time seeing the Batman #251 selling for less, even if the former may be a bit of an outlier.  I suspect ASM #121 may be in the $350K range now...not a big % gain from where it sold 6 years ago, but, I don't see it as a half million dollar type of cover, personally.  That's obviously a key book, but, not the most beloved cover in OA form, to be fair. 

Probably some of the better twice-up Kirby FF and Romita ASM covers.  Great examples from the run, but, not the true keys.  

Maybe the BWS Conan #24?  The heat is obviously off of BWS Conan nowadays, but, that one would still fetch a big price I'm sure.  $350K doesn't seem crazy to me for that one, though, it's probably no more than it would have fetched 5 years ago.  Maybe Conan #1?  

DD #181 is probably above that range nowadays, but, what's the next most valuable Miller Marvel cover?  Wolverine Mini #1 maybe?  DD #168? 

Just spitballing here...there's still obviously a lot of nice stuff you can buy for $350K in Marvel cover land, but, the truly big keys and iconic images I suspect are mostly above that price point now. 

Those are good examples.  thank you.

Interesting guesses and among the various rationale, I just don’t understand how the Batman 251 cover could possibly fetch more than the ASM 100 cover or the GL 76 cover.  

For the record, I’ve got no skin in the game, and I just don’t understand the unbridled enthusiasm over a teeny, tiny image of Batman trapped on a playing card?  Joker is cool, but is that enough to push this cover above $480K with the juice?  Unless folks know of a few BSDs going after this and willing to pay STOOPID money, I simply can’t see this going for $480, juice included.

25 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Interesting guesses and among the various rationale, I just don’t understand how the Batman 251 cover could possibly fetch more than the ASM 100 cover or the GL 76 cover.  

For the record, I’ve got no skin in the game, and I just don’t understand the unbridled enthusiasm over a teeny, tiny image of Batman trapped on a playing card?  Joker is cool, but is that enough to push this cover above $480K with the juice?  Unless folks know of a few BSDs going after this and willing to pay STOOPID money, I simply can’t see this going for $480, juice included.

trust me, I 100% agree with you, but never underestimate the power of the lowest common denominator. 

Me Like Adams.   me like joker.    $$$$$$$$$$$$

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Didn't the Byrne Spectacular Spidey 101 go for under 30k? Don't know the classification for Trophy but that cover always makes a top 100 cover list. 

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some Really good Neil Adams Batman covers sold for less than $60K two years ago. I just can’t see this one going for more than ten times that. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Secret Wars 8 cover > or < $350,000k?