• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #251 Cover Art Being Auctioned (Guess The Final Bid, all ya'll Smarty Pantses !!)
1 1

Final Bid For Batman #251  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Batman #251 original art cover will sell for?

• 0 - $50,000
    • $50,000 - $100,000
    • $100,000 - $200,000
    • $200,000 - $300,000
    • $300,000 - $400,000
    • $400,000 - $500,000
    • $500,000 - $750,000
    • $750,000 - $1,000,000
    • $1,000,000 - $1,500,000
    • $1,500,000 - $2,000,000
    • $2,000,000 +

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2019 at 04:00 PM

153 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Agreed. And as I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't want to be holding this piece past about $350K. I think there are better Marvel trophies to be had above that price point. But I think Heritage will game this out to the tune of $500-600K BP included.

The person that buys this won’t care in the least about price point now or how much they can sell it for 10-20 years from now. The person that buys this will have spent “Because I can” dollars.

You won’t see this cover for auction again in my lifetime or yours. Well at least in my life time.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Interesting guesses and among the various rationale, I just don’t understand how the Batman 251 cover could possibly fetch more than the ASM 100 cover or the GL 76 cover.  

For the record, I’ve got no skin in the game, and I just don’t understand the unbridled enthusiasm over a teeny, tiny image of Batman trapped on a playing card?  Joker is cool, but is that enough to push this cover above $480K with the juice?  Unless folks know of a few BSDs going after this and willing to pay STOOPID money, I simply can’t see this going for $480, juice included.

When you are spending imaginary money it is easy to throw out big numbers. Some people that either track high end prices and trends and/or may play in that end of the pool have more accurate views on where it will go. If you are someone like me, any number I give is a wild azz guess with the caveat that it will definitely clear $20k because that is the most I can bid. 

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

The person that buys this won’t care in the least about price point now or how much they can sell it for 10-20 years from now. The person that buys this will have spent “Because I can” dollars.

You won’t see this cover for auction again in my lifetime or yours. Well at least in my life time.

I don't think you can assume that.     Purchases big and small are all motivated differently.

35 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Way less. 

The #1 might have a shot, though.  

#1 is pretty glorious.  And IIRC nice and large and would look great in person.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I don't think you can assume that.     Purchases big and small are all motivated differently.

You have to read my mind Bronty. You see I plan on winning the lottery and outbidding everyone. The reason I am sure it won't resurface is my will demands it be entombed with my body in a booby trapped tomb in an undisclosed location.

:roflmao:

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Frank Miller...I'd have to take the under.  DKR #1 and #2 I don't think are there, and I don't think any Daredevil cover would be. 

I've heard that DKR #1 has a standing $1MM offer for it, and was insured for that much for its appearance at NYCC. For whatever that's worth!

I put SUPERMAN #233 alongside GL #76 and BATMAN #251 among Neal's most memorable. I wouldn't be surprised to see that one come up for sale, too...

15 hours ago, vodou said:

I think Neal's time has already past, but not everybody knows it yet (unlike BWS).

It's just one guy, but Kyle K (the young collector who paid $50K for the Greg Capullo BATMAN #1 cover) said he doesn't know who Neal Adams is...and doesn't care. And he's a big Batman fan.

6 hours ago, Nexus said:

It's just one guy, but Kyle K (the young collector who paid $50K for the Greg Capullo BATMAN #1 cover) said he doesn't know who Neal Adams is...and doesn't care. And he's a big Batman fan.

Well.   I find that hard to believe and I would think said more for shock value.   I very much suspect Kyle knows who Neal is.   He may not care about Neal’s art, and that’s fine.

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

It's just one guy, but Kyle K (the young collector who paid $50K for the Greg Capullo BATMAN #1 cover) said he doesn't know who Neal Adams is...and doesn't care. And he's a big Batman 

Neal literally saved Batman from cancellation. His art is fantastic,  his stories iconic.  He took Batman out of the daylight and put him back into the shadows... I went to every one of the Batman 75th anniversary panels at SDCC (five years ago?) and loved all the behind the scenes stories Adams & O'Neil shared...I guess, in my late 40s, I'm just old enough to appreciate? 

I think if Neal Adams, at his peak, arrived today new on the scene, he wouldn't generate much of a buzz.  Artists have been building on the foundation that Neal had laid, he brought an illustrator's eye and skill to the comic book medium and he influenced everyone at the time... John Byrne, Bill Sienkiewicz etc... they expanded out on his style and they influenced others, the newer artists have leveled up on top of that. It seems like the most of the newer generation of collectors might appreciate Neal's work but for the money it cost to buy an Adam's page or a cover they can get many many prime examples from their guys.

I appreciate and I am inspired by Neal's art, but I don't think a lot of the younger collectors feel it the way we do, his art wasn't the breath of fresh air to them, as it was to us when we picked up Batman or Ali vs Superman off of the spinner rack. The times they are a changing.

Edited by gumbydarnit

22 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Some Really good Neil Adams Batman covers sold for less than $60K two years ago. I just can’t see this one going for more than ten times that. 

For these purposes "Adams Batman Cover" compared "Adams Detective Cover" might as well be "Scooby Doo" compared "Hostel" for as much pricing comparison help as they'll give us. 

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

For these purposes "Adams Batman Cover" compared "Adams Detective Cover" might as well be "Scooby Doo" compared "Hostel" for as much pricing comparison help as they'll give us. 

First, I was referring to "Batman" in the generic sense, not the "Title of the Comic" sense. But, still, is this a fair comp?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/neal-adams-and--giordano-batman-stacked-cards-book-and-record-set-pr-27-cover-original-art-power-records-/a/7187-91002.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Original Comic Art:Covers, Neal Adams and Dick Giordano Batman: Stacked Cards [Book and Record Set] PR-27 Cover Original Art (Power Records, ...Sold for $31,000 a year ago. Are we expecting the #251 cover to go for 20 times that?

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

First, I was referring to "Batman" in the generic sense, not the "Title of the Comic" sense. But, still, is this a fair comp?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/neal-adams-and--giordano-batman-stacked-cards-book-and-record-set-pr-27-cover-original-art-power-records-/a/7187-91002.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Original Comic Art:Covers, Neal Adams and Dick Giordano Batman: Stacked Cards [Book and Record Set] PR-27 Cover Original Art (Power Records, ...Sold for $31,000 a year ago. Are we expecting the #251 cover to go for 20 times that?

That's a specialty piece for a book and record set....so YES...the cover from the flagship Batman title will go for many many many many times this. 

Many. 

Many.

Times.

Many.

OK. How about this cover?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/neal-adams-batman-222-cover-beatles-original-art-color-guide-and-printer-s-proof-group-of-3-dc-1970-total-3/a/7163-91024.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Original Comic Art:Covers, Neal Adams Batman #222 Cover Beatles Original Art, Color Guide, and Printer's Proof Group of 3 (DC, 1970).... (Total: 3 Items)

$78K with juice two years ago. Are we assuming that the #251 sells for 7 or 8 times that? 

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes.

Beatles, awesome. Nice cover, nice era for Neal....not 251. Not Joker. Not the Icon the 251 is.  

It's the difference between how much Eddie Murphy loves a Ritz cracker as opposed to any old generic cracker. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That's a specialty piece for a book and record set....so YES...the cover from the flagship Batman title will go for many many many many times this. 

Many. 

Many.

Times.

Many.

Just now, comix4fun said:

Yes.

Beatles, awesome. Nice cover, nice era for Neal....not 251. Not Joker. Not the Icon the 251 is.  

It's the difference between how much Eddie Murphy loves a Ritz cracker as opposed to any old generic cracker. 

OK. We'll see when the hammer goes.