• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #251 Cover Art Being Auctioned (Guess The Final Bid, all ya'll Smarty Pantses !!)
1 1

Final Bid For Batman #251  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Batman #251 original art cover will sell for?

• 0 - $50,000
    • $50,000 - $100,000
    • $100,000 - $200,000
    • $200,000 - $300,000
    • $300,000 - $400,000
    • $400,000 - $500,000
    • $500,000 - $750,000
    • $750,000 - $1,000,000
    • $1,000,000 - $1,500,000
    • $1,500,000 - $2,000,000
    • $2,000,000 +

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2019 at 04:00 PM

153 posts in this topic

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

OK. We'll see when the hammer goes.

If you want a comparable spread between seemingly similar covers....just look at the spread between Neal's NON-GL76 covers with GL on them and the GL 76 cover.

JLA #95 $29k.

JLA #66 $41k

GLL #76 $442k. 

All Neal Covers, All have GL on them, but only one is the Icon. 

How many, many, many? 

So many.

More than a few and less than too many. 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:19 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Interesting guesses and among the various rationale, I just don’t understand how the Batman 251 cover could possibly fetch more than the ASM 100 cover or the GL 76 cover.  

For the record, I’ve got no skin in the game, and I just don’t understand the unbridled enthusiasm over a teeny, tiny image of Batman trapped on a playing card?  Joker is cool, but is that enough to push this cover above $480K with the juice?  Unless folks know of a few BSDs going after this and willing to pay STOOPID money, I simply can’t see this going for $480, juice included.

925304808_killing-joke2.thumb.jpg.7fbfa9244b5a4a2280c69826ddd56dea.jpg

More than 15, but less than 20? 

I think the floor all in is around $500k. Above that it depends on who's still in the fight, how invested they are, and what else of substance has caught their eye in the same auction.

There are a few guys I know that "going to the mat" for this piece would take us up significantly above my floor estimate. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

If you want a comparable spread between seemingly similar covers....just look at the spread between Neal's NON-GL76 covers with GL on them and the GL 76 cover.

JLA #95 $29k.

JLA #66 $41k

GLL #76 $442k. 

All Neal Covers, All have GL on them, but only one is the Icon. 

Here's where I  differ from you. The GL #76 is iconic because that issue is considered to be the first comic heralding the Bronze Age. It has more than artistic significance. The Batman #251 cover is mostly "iconic" because it's a cool cover. Yes, they reintroduce classic Joker, but it's not GL #76 level important in the history of comics.

Here's where I  differ from you. The GL #76 is iconic because that issue is considered to be the first comic heralding the Bronze Age. It has more than artistic significance. The Batman #251 cover is mostly "iconic" because it's a cool cover. Yes, they reintroduce classic Joker, but it's not GL #76 level important in the history of comics.

And on the "Con" side of its ledger....it's not Batman and the Joker. lol 

Edited by comix4fun

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Chris, this green cardigan is on sale for $24.99 at Macy's:

733800246_Greencardigan1.thumb.PNG.1c99bb01c9cc65840e6dbb8dc4bea9b6.PNG

Surely you're not saying that this other green cardigan can sell for 13,365 times as much? ??? 

328595611_Greencardigan2.thumb.PNG.e9cd3b41f9105106da4b2a9a1bf24291.PNG

I think, to be accurate, we are comparing the "Green Cardigan" Cobaine wore on MTV unplugged, with a Green Cardigan he wore at some other concert. 

I think, to be accurate, we are comparing the "Green Cardigan" Cobaine wore on MTV unplugged, with a Green Cardigan he wore at some other concert. 

That probably gets you closer to that "20 times" multiple. 

The green cardigan Cobaine wore when he shot himself (#GL 76) vs the Green Cardigan he grabbed out of the hamper on his way to MTV (Batman #251).

People love a hamper cardigan. 

In any case, I'll take Jerry Robinson's "Double Guns" Joker cover 10 times out of 10 over the Batman #251 cover by Neal Adams

Was that one of the one's Jerry kept until the end? If so, and based on his original asking prices for pieces he had held onto, I would wager his asking price would leave you clutching your cardigan. 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Was that one of the one's Jerry kept until the end? If so, and based on his original asking prices for pieces he had held onto, I would wager his asking price would leave you clutching your cardigan. 

Oh, I couldn't afford it (or the #251). I just like it a whole lot better.

Here’s the funny thing about our opinions (and they are just that) on the perceived value of the Batman 251 cover in general.

1. GL 76 has been an iconic cover for decades.  It comes with historical significance as the 1st Bronze Age DC book (for most collectors).  And I’ll be the first to admit that I have no idea how much, if any, $ value its historical significance added to the book

2. With regard to Iconic Batman covers by Adams, I think 227 has been/is still the most revered, at least over the past 10 years of comics collecting

3.  Batman 251 covered has been also been singled out amongst the best Adams Batman covers, but more recently than the 227 cover

4.  A’s much as I like the Joker, it was Adams’ 227 cover that brought Batman back to the Creature of the Night that we are all so fond of

5.  Again, 251 has a teeny tiny Batman image and if Batman is the flagship title over Detective or B&B or World’s Finest, then I would want a larger image of Batman prominently displayed on the cover.

a month from now we will see how this all shakes out, but until then, I will read into everyone ‘s opinions at face value (unless you know two or more BSD’s who are guaranteed to lock in at > $400K!)

5 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Here’s the funny thing about our opinions (and they are just that) on the perceived value of the Batman 251 cover in general.

1. GL 76 has been an iconic cover for decades.  It comes with historical significance as the 1st Bronze Age DC book (for most collectors).  And I’ll be the first to admit that I have no idea how much, if any, $ value its historical significance added to the book

2. With regard to Iconic Batman covers by Adams, I think 227 has been/is still the most revered, at least over the past 10 years of comics collecting

3.  Batman 251 covered has been also been singled out amongst the best Adams Batman covers, but more recently than the 227 cover

4.  A’s much as I like the Joker, it was Adams’ 227 cover that brought Batman back to the Creature of the Night that we are all so fond of

5.  Again, 251 has a teeny tiny Batman image and if Batman is the flagship title over Detective or B&B or World’s Finest, then I would want a larger image of Batman prominently displayed on the cover.

a month from now we will see how this all shakes out, but until then, I will read into everyone ‘s opinions at face value (unless you know two or more BSD’s who are guaranteed to lock in at > $400K!)

I understand your love for Batman 227's cover, but it's popularity is actually much newer than 251. 251 was hot from the day it hit the stands. 227 was cool, but its real collectibility rose with the realization that Detective 31 was the iconic Batman cover. Batman 227 is popular not because of Adams but because of the homage to Detective 31. Again, Batman 251 has always been considered an important cover. Batman 227 has only been considered in same for the last decade or so.