• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8 with a flaw??

17 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Ace Bandage said:

Recently purchased this CGC 9.8 Young Avengers #1 .   No signs of tempering that I can see.... top right hand side looks damaged. 

Any chance this was actually graded like this?

8QqMDha.jpg

L5x3NzF.jpg

PPfSdlq.jpg

Yeah, that looks very good

Except for what appears to be a cellphone in the middle of cap America chest

How'd that get there?

Edited by Hollywood1892

On 10/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, csaag said:

i agree with the guys.  Is is the white showing at the top front right edge which is concerning you?

On 10/26/2019 at 12:05 PM, The Lions Den said:

Are you referring to the fact that the cover doesn't extend all the way out over the 1st page and you can see the edge of the page? (shrug)   

To be perfectly honest, it looks better than some other 9.8's I've seen...  :luhv:

The spot I'm concerned about is the edge to the right of the 'S' in Avengers where I can see dark below and white above, almost like it was clipped inwards at that point.  

5 hours ago, Ace Bandage said:

The spot I'm concerned about is the edge to the right of the 'S' in Avengers where I can see dark below and white above, almost like it was clipped inwards at that point.  

I thought that spot you're referring to was due to black ink on the edge of the first page, which makes it appear as if there's a clipped area at that point... (shrug)  

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I thought that spot you're referring to was due to black ink on the edge of the first page, which makes it appear as if there's a clipped area at that point... (shrug)  

I have a 2nd slabbed one of these with 2nd page showing a little as well. It looks white all the way down.  Thus why I think the top edge of the front cover on this one has been cut.  

11 hours ago, Ace Bandage said:

I have a 2nd slabbed one of these with 2nd page showing a little as well. It looks white all the way down.  Thus why I think the top edge of the front cover on this one has been cut.  

Please keep in mind that no two books are exactly the same; much like fingerprints, there are always subtle differences. The fact that CGC gave it a Universal 9.8 is generally held in good standing with the collecting community...  :)

Edited by The Lions Den