• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small thread of low grade GA PCH: EC, ACG, Quality, Standard, Planet
3 3

44 posts in this topic

SalesHeaderSep.jpg.a97a2457e3e3d82bc37b34e21e1a1e1a.jpg

Shipping, Payment and Returns:
Satisfaction guaranteed, you pay return postage unless it's my fault as long as it's not past a couple of weeks after you got the box. Paypal, checks, money orders accepted. Shipping any manner you choose at cost, including Media Mail as long as you accept any possible risk of the package being opened in transit, including upcharge, if any (I've never had a problem). I have tons of packing material, including USPS Priority, so take your pick. For these GA books, I will NOT pack them like they are low grade.

Thread Particulars:
This is my first time selling GA books after buying exclusively for ten years or so. These books are not high grade and not all of them are well presenting, most of them being some of the first books I bought when I first started getting into PCH - all of these books were purchased here on the boards. I have refocused into higher grades now (notice I didn't say high grade lol ) and actually have subject focuses as well (Cole covers and keys I can afford) in addition to titles (Super Mystery and the Harvey titles). I have not yet really stepped into ECs yet so the ones appearing in this thread don't really fit with what I'm doing currently and I figured they would make good placeholders for any newb EC collectors around. There are some decent books, but there are some rough customers too. Probably not much for you old timer GA collectors to see here, :preach:

Threadkrapping encouraged, however it's going to be a super short thread, so the first interruption may end up being the last before it's all wrapped up! I have a kudos thread somewhere, if that matters to you. Feel free to ask questions or point out if I missed anything.

I also have a thread over in mixed with more stuff you won't want for postage combining and such. Trust me, nothing good in that thread either so don't bother. I'll likely have even more stuff in a third thread, but that stuff is so bad that I can't even talk about it here without throwing up in my mouth a little bit.

I'll begin listing these dog-eared GA books probably within the hour.

I was going to apologize for being late, but then realized I'm really not very late at all...which is actually early for me. However, I do apologize for not being as lit as cd4ever used to be when he was listing books like a drunk Irishman, because this first GA thread of mine is dedicated to you, my brotha, wherever you may be. Those spontaneously random Friday or Saturday night threads were the things of legends and I miss the krap out of them. No matter who you were, you tried to buy something even if it was WAY outside of what you usually bought. He's one of the first thread starters that I remember camping out on the refresh button on the regular and being terrified of needing to get up to use the restroom while the action was going on. It's certainly the first time I ever remember hearing the term 'piz- jar' being thrown about outside of long-haul truckers in casual conversation.

This thread will be nothing like his lol - but here's to you, buddy!

If you don't like what you see below, then you may as well shuffle on down the road (or stay here and let me know how bad my grading is, I'm good either way TBH).

7AFAB58E-2275-4B2F-B9B4-54BE874011BD.jpeg

Edited by Annihilus

First up

Witches Tales 13 [1.0 - $50.00]

August 1952 Harvey Horror. Cover detached. I somehow ended up with a number of PCH books that appear as if they had once been bound, each of them having about twenty pinprick holes in the spine where the thread had once been. This is one of those copies, but honestly it's low enough grade that these hardly matter in the grand scheme of considering this book. This book is a for an entry level Harvey Horrors collector. This book is the exact example of what I was looking for in my early days of PCH collecting: complete, well presenting (or as close to it as you can get without giant pieces missing from the FC), vibrant colors. I actually upgraded this book a few months ago (doesn't happen often), so this has become the undercopy.

I love the Harvey Horrors series and would in no way be selling this book if I didn't have a nicer copy, despite it's rough condition. I'd love to have a whole set some day.

The interior is pretty solid, as you might expect, tightly bound from first wrap to centerfold and lies pretty flat. If you are concerned about the stitching holes (I'm sure there are phobias or something), you can see them better on the back cover scan.

Also, y'all can feel free to treat my sales threads as PGM threads. I think by now that I am a pretty decent judge of the CGC scale, but honestly most of my grading is probably not nearly as scientific as some of you guys. Anyhow, what I'm saying is that I'm always cool with critique. Blast away (and I'll charge you twice postage when you buy something, a win-win).

img284.jpg

img388.jpg

Free to first person who buys something in this thread and claims it.

Forbidden Worlds 66 [FREE] :news: FREE to Robot Man!

May 1958. Cover split and completely detached, but honestly presents pretty well, decently, ok in a bag and board and is good reading if you like ACG. I don't, particularly, which is why you can have it with my compliments.

Spoiler

img289.jpg

Edited by Annihilus

Out of the Shadows 10 [1.0 - $60.00]

October 1953 - Standard Comics.

Ok, there are a LOT of problems with this book. What there is NOT a problem with (at this price) is presentation. It looks solid in a mylar and displays a great PCH cover with solid blacks and colors. If you buy this book, it's for the cover and you are the kind of person who can ignore some pretty significant defects that are otherwise present but not super visible.

The rest lol - severe browning, moisture damage/residue, brittle; However other than the triangular piece out of the URHC of the back cover, the book is complete and lies incredibly flat given the stated wear. A 1.8 went for $150 in June (and one in Aug for $135), a 3.5 for $278.

That sh!te looks super bad from the back, ain't gon lie.

img389.jpg

img390.jpg

Edited by Annihilus

Tales From The Crypt 45 [1.8 - $50.00] :news: SOLD to Robot Man!

This is either a subscription copy or was folded up in a young kids pocket as it displays those types of characteristics (see third picture). The book is wavy where it was folded, but does not display the kind of waviness evident in books with water damage, though there is rust apparent on the lower staple and has migrated to the center, slightly. Book holding together very tightly from cover to centerfold. A press may benefit this book, but it ain't going a lot higher with that sub crease on the cover. Another that presents pretty well in a Mylar. A 1.8 sold in December of last year for $105 and one on eBay for $50, so I'll match that one.

Spoiler

img296.jpg

Spoiler

img391.jpg

Spoiler

57115F86-502B-4887-A1B5-0BF3AE53E103.jpeg

Edited by Annihilus

Web of Evil 6 [2.0 - $150]

This book has been creased plenty in the past, but either pressed (unlikely) or just flattened over the years naturally. It does lie very flat, pressing will do nothing for it. There is a similar looking copy (from the front) on eBay for $75, but it's missing a huge chunk out of the back cover. A 1.5 is listed on mycomicshop lying unsold at $159 and mine looks significantly better, especially the spine. I don't actually remember buying this book, which is unusual for my PCH purchases.

My book is holding at both staples, but I wouldn't be playing frisbee with it or anything. I'm not good at judging resto on staples, but the top staple seems shinier than the bottom (though it does display some signs of aging as well). If you check out the scans, you can see where the creasing is/was ant that it has mostly flattened, leaving the color breaks, etc. Even though there is wear on this book, the interior is in better shape showing what might be typical of a book that has been in a box in the attic for a while and shoved around a few times.

Jack Cole cover and story.

img285.jpg

img392.jpg

Planet Comics 55 [2.0 - $75] :news: SOLD to Qua-Brot!

Unfortunately, the bulk of the problems with this book lie squarely on the front cover. Ink in the 'A' and 'T' of Planet, on the spears, and some of the lettering in 'Giants of the Golden Atom'. It looks like there is a scorch mark from the gals chin and traveling downward to the left about an inch. I played with lighters when I was 10, so I get it, kid. Cover is completely detached, but the interior is great, still bound tightly from first wrap to centerfold. A 3.0 went for $156 in August. One sold on eBay for $110 but looks nicer than mine, so I scaled back the price to (over)compensate.

I love Planets but don't have the time (or, more accurately, the budget) to focus on them. My set of PS Publishing archives will have to do for now.

Spoiler

img286.jpg

Spoiler

img393.jpg

Edited by Annihilus

53 minutes ago, Annihilus said:

Planet Comics 55 [2.0 - $75]

Unfortunately, the bulk of the problems with this book lie squarely on the front cover. Ink in the 'A' and 'T' of Planet, on the spears, and some of the lettering in 'Giants of the Golden Atom'. It looks like there is a scorch mark from the gals chin and traveling downward to the left about an inch. I played with lighters when I was 10, so I get it, kid. Cover is completely detached, but the interior is great, still bound tightly from first wrap to centerfold. A 3.0 went for $156 in August. One sold on eBay for $110 but looks nicer than mine, so I scaled back the price to (over)compensate.

I love Planets but don't have the time (or, more accurately, the budget) to focus on them. My set of PS Publishing archives will have to do for now.

img286.jpg

img393.jpg

Take!

1 hour ago, Annihilus said:

Tales From The Crypt 45 [1.8 - $50.00]

This is either a subscription copy or was folded up in a young kids pocket as it displays those types of characteristics (see third picture). The book is wavy where it was folded, but does not display the kind of waviness evident in books with water damage, though there is rust apparent on the lower staple and has migrated to the center, slightly. Book holding together very tightly from cover to centerfold. A press may benefit this book, but it ain't going a lot higher with that sub crease on the cover. Another that presents pretty well in a Mylar. A 1.8 sold in December of last year for $105 and one on eBay for $50, so I'll match that one.

img296.jpg

img391.jpg

57115F86-502B-4887-A1B5-0BF3AE53E103.jpeg

Take it!

2 hours ago, Annihilus said:

Free to first person who buys something in this thread and claims it.

Forbidden Worlds 66 [FREE]

May 1958. Cover split and completely detached, but honestly presents pretty well, decently, ok in a bag and board and is good reading if you like ACG. I don't, particularly, which is why you can have it with my compliments.

img289.jpg

Claim it!

Adventures into the Unknown 15 [1.8 - $20.00] :news: SOLD to Robot Man!

I bought this one for the cover. It has its problems, including that spine roll that you can see, but is complete, lies flat and is still solidly attached at the staples. I'm not a huge fan of ACG, but did like the cover on this one.

Spoiler

img295.jpg

Spoiler

img394.jpg

Edited by Annihilus

6 minutes ago, Annihilus said:

Adventures into the Unknown 15 [1.8 - $20.00]

I bought this one for the cover. It has its problems, including that spine roll that you can see, but is complete, lies flat and is still solidly attached at the staples. I'm not a huge fan of ACG, but did like the cover on this one.

img295.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

img394.jpg

Take it

Tales From The Crypt 42 [2.5 - $85] :news: SOLD to Callaway29

This is another subscription copy, but unlike the 45 listed earlier, this one lies flat. Staple pull on the top staple, but everything is attached and the book is tightly bound.

Spoiler

img297.jpg

Spoiler

img395.jpg

Edited by Annihilus