• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Receiving a commission that is underwhelming
4 4

117 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Then follow it. Send him the money, and accept what he did. Also, he is probably owed an apology.

Bad behavior messes it up for others who may want a commission from him.

Ugh, don't worry, one day you might even be a good enough artist to be able to kindly say to someone who has commissioned a piece from you that the very reason why they don't take money upfront is so that the person receiving the art is happy. Cheers :hi:.

14 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I had the same thought as well. And for what it's worth, the comic art collecting field isn't super big. When you narrow it down to artists that take, commissions and the collectors that commission artists, it's even smaller. Last thing I'd think anyone who hopes to get good commissions would want would be people knowing they stiff artists if they don't dig the results of their work. Word (and names) get around. Both for artists that are disreputable, and the collectors that are as well. Everyone talks.

As several have mentioned above, hiring a creative to do something creative can be a crapshoot. It's true that on occasion some guys phone it in. More often than not, it's either simply a mistmatch of artist and subject, or they just weren't as "on" as they sometimes can be, or inspiration just doesn't strike. I don't think it's totally inappropriate to let the artist know how you feel. Some artists will offer to do things in this instance. But at the same time, it is important to pay the bill. I certainly wouldn't start off with, "I'm not paying for this".

I'd never hire a chamber orchestra to ply my wedding, and then afterward say "Hey guys, normally you guys are amazing, but I just didn't care for how you played tonight, so yeah, I'm just not gonna pay you. Maybe one of the other guests liked you enough to give you some money for your work?"

If the artist showed up, did the work, and didn't disregard something you discussed or pull a "Faith is a Virue", then... yeah.
I get it. 4K is a lot to eat for something you don't care for the result of. Ultimately the market would punish said artist by folks not commissioning pieces for $4K that are a major shoot. Especially as more are seen. There are certainly artists I'd never commission, because I've seen as many bad as good ones. As with anything in the hobby, we do the research. But stiffing someone on a piece that they made at your request isn't cool.

"Patience is a virue." 

I used to get commissions from all my favorite artists until a couple of them turned out really, really bad. But, no matter, I paid for every single one of them and never complained at all.

I commissioned an artist who had the best reputation for doing commissions and he turned in the second worst Jonah Hex commission I ever bought. Instead of the great closeup of Hex that I asked for, he gave me a full-body shot of Hex from far away and he drew it in pencil and didn't ink it. After I'd paid, he said he just didn't feel like inking it, but, if I wanted to pay him an extra fee and mail it back to him, he'd ink it. But, again, he said he didn't really want to ink it.

But, an artist friend of mine who had done great commissions for me, took way too long and drew for me the absolute worst commission I ever bought. After that, I decided to just buy published art.

Since then, I am very particular about getting commissions.

I always have very specific ideas in mind when I commission an artist and I detail those before we agree on him doing the piece.

When I commissioned the late, great Ernie Chan to do a Jonah Hex, he drew it while we were on the phone and sent me the almost-finished prelim via email. It turned out to be the best Jonah Hex commission I have ever seen.

The only commission I ever paid for without detailing an idea of what I wanted was from Steranko. I just told him to do a Captain America for me. It turned out so great that Marvel used it as a variant cover and it got Steranko back in at Marvel.

1 hour ago, fuggit said:

Ugh, don't worry, one day you might even be a good enough artist to be able to kindly say to someone who has commissioned a piece from you that the very reason why they don't take money upfront is so that the person receiving the art is happy. Cheers :hi:.

I am not an artist, and have virtually no artistic skills. But, I am a man of my word. Try it sometime.

And by the way, where is this piece from hell you keep complaining about? Or maybe you just decided you didn't want to spend $4,000 after ordering it, hmmm...?

The worst commission I ever received was exactly what I asked for it to be. I should have given the artist more room to play. I've learned that lesson.

Other than that, I've had great luck. Here are a few (horizontal, color). Click the image to see them all on the CAF.
image.thumb.png.ca73320de92e7ecfcb0c284a53ecc9f1.png

22 hours ago, Nexus said:

But the one collector who probably inspires me the most when it comes to commissions is Jim Reid:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?aty=2&gcat=5816

Very nice commissions.  I'm interested in knowing about any "underwhelming" commissions that he received (i.e. that he didn't post).

He doesn't have to be over-the-top happy.  But I'd be interested in knowing if there are collectors that no artist dares to deliver a dud.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I am not an artist, and have virtually no artistic skills. But, I am a man of my word. Try it sometime.

And by the way, where is this piece from hell you keep complaining about? Or maybe you just decided you didn't want to spend $4,000 after ordering it, hmmm...?

Ok Rick lay off the guy. You want to see the art? There it is? You pay 4 K for that !!!2CB62B8A-F919-48B5-859D-7C55C57CAF25.thumb.jpeg.a8ff197d279e80dc7a478c809e0d17b1.jpeg

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

Ok Rick lay off the guy. You want to see the art? There it is? You pay 4 K for that !!!2CB62B8A-F919-48B5-859D-7C55C57CAF25.thumb.jpeg.a8ff197d279e80dc7a478c809e0d17b1.jpeg

Just to be clear, I only responded to his snotty comments. I wasn’t planning to continue.
That attitude, however, gives hobbyists a bad name. If artists think that sort of behavior is commonplace, prices for commissions will go up as artists have to include the risk of nonpayment in their pricing for commissions or just refuse them without prepayment. With prepayment comes the risk that the commission will get done “eventually”, or maybe never.

As to that image, Purple Drank isn’t 100% of anything.

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Hahahaha. Yer right of course. I don't even know where "faith" came from. Brain fart!

LOL. I thought it was intentional so that if the newbs Googled the phrase it wouldn't come up (easily at least), thus relieving you of the stigma attached to re-hashing ancient negative history, outing a specific otherwise idolized-individual (which seems to be verboten here - but not to me, if you're a dog and didn't apologize and change your ways, then you're still a dog and I'll out you. Again. And again. And again. Until such day that you... ;) )

Just goes to show, not every action can be assigned to intention or motive, sometimes...things just happen :)

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That attitude, however, gives hobbyists a bad name. If artists think that sort of behavior is commonplace, prices for commissions will go up as artists have to include the risk of nonpayment in their pricing for commissions or just refuse them without prepayment. With prepayment comes the risk that the commission will get done “eventually”, or maybe never.

This a problematic line of thinking.

To start, I believe only the good-best commissions are being posted (here, no idea re: social media - I ain't on any of it!), but actually as I suggested much earlier in this thread - the hobby would be best served if all of them were, with identifying characteristics only (artist, request made, price, turnaround expectation and actual time, and image/no-image as a result) and no further comment. The hobby (each of us individually) could then make their own judgement in the vacuum of comment. If the artist side of the table, as a whole, knew this was happening 100% (or close to) of the time they would also know that their work is what informs their success, not the other way around. And the guys that aren't pulling their weight (or worse) would have to step it up or suffer the consequences of less/no-action or only con sketches on the spot. And probably could only deliver art for payment, not demand payment (partial or full) in advance. The other side of that is the "good" guys could set their own terms and run with that at whatever level they seek (higher demands would lessen interest of course, ala $15k Jim Lee, but not necessarily "kill" it either) of profit and workload. This is for self-repping artists.

For repped artists, it shouldn't matter (assuming the rep is reputable not fly-by-night!), the rep can collect on the front, partial/full, or back and hold the artist accountable based on their deeper experience in dealing with them more than any of the rest of us have been. And the rep's rep (lol) would be on the line there too, not just the artist's, so again almost no worries there aside from the usual misunderstandings/miscommunications that happen or scope drift (which is the rep's job to reign in, as the project manager in the conversation!)

Tell me where this would just...fail? It only requires that most/all commissions get posted (here, wherever, that everybody "into" commissions goes) and the rest will follow...

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Then follow it. Send him the money, and accept what he did. Also, he is probably owed an apology.

Bad behavior messes it up for others who may want a commission from him.

Does the artist owe you money or are you the Message board sheriff?  Maybe we should go protest outside of Fugits house until we shame him into doing what you want.  FUGIT,  I want the apology to be in the form of a Haiku. It evokes more sincerity and thought. Get writing!

Sorry I also want you to give us 3 Our Fathers and a Hail Mary or you better now show your face around these parts again!

Edited by dirtymartini1

2 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Does the artist owe you money or are you the Message board sheriff?  Maybe we should go protest outside of Fugits house until we shame him into doing what you want.  FUGIT,  I want the apology to be in the form of a Haiku. It evokes more sincerity and thought. Get writing!

Sorry I also want you to give us 3 Our Fathers and a Hail Mary or you better now show your face around these parts again!

No, I am not the sheriff. He came to these boards looking for justification for what he did. For the most part, he didn’t get it. If the lesson was really learned, then why doesn’t he correct what he did?