• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer 1 (6.0) - Should I Press?

6 posts in this topic

I did a fast track grade of Silver Surfer #1 with no press because I didn’t feel like waiting 3 months.  Came back a 6.0 but the graders notes lead me to believe a press would do this a lot of good since none of the flaws are color breaking.

Question is, what do you think a press/clean would do for this book.  Every half point is basically worth another $200 in value based on sales data in this grade range.  Think I could squeeze a 6.5, a 7.0 or..... (gasp) a 7.5?

6DF9EC80-EE21-46B9-9EBB-15FF6D4B49EB.jpeg

75C8D787-CCE4-45A1-B6B2-C490549B74E5.jpeg

If you squeeze another .5 point out of a press how much is it going to cost you to:  mail it to the presser; get it pressed; get it sent back to you; send it to CGC for grading; get it shipped back to you?

Could come back as a 6 too.  Could get damaged taking it out of the current case.

My understanding is the notes only mention non-obvious defects. The discoloration / scuffing in the logo box in addition to what appears to be a slight bindery tear at the bottom would, in my opinion, put the book’s ceiling at F/VF-ish. I’d press for re-sale, otherwise the eye appeal isn’t going to change much.