• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seattle Drug Store question

31 posts in this topic

I managed to pick up a Seattle Drug Store book with COA. It has the older flatter case, so I assume it was slabbed near the discovery and naming of the collection. Would anybody happen to know whether it’s now an officially recognized collection by CGC in that the label would state it as such?  I did a look up for a pedigree and it’s not listed so that question doesn’t need to be asked.

If it was recognized, I’d consider getting it reholdered sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, Abibliophobia said:

I managed to pick up a Seattle Drug Store book with COA. It has the older flatter case, so I assume it was slabbed near the discovery and naming of the collection. Would anybody happen to know whether it’s now an officially recognized collection by CGC in that the label would state it as such?  I did a look up for a pedigree and it’s not listed so that question doesn’t need to be asked.

If it was recognized, I’d consider getting it reholdered sooner than later.

pic?

On 10/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, thunsicker said:

Short answer, No.

The collection appears to be only a five year run based up internet searches. I assume that may be considered a bit short to recognize it despite apparent quality.

Any idea what constitutes enough significance to get recognized as an official collection?  I’ve seen Harlan Ellison’s books recognized. That particular collect appears to span a lot of years and volume, but aside from being a renowned writer the condition of the books weren’t terribly notable.

How does the story behind the “Seattle Drug Store” collection even rate with serious collectors?  Marketing hype?  Is it impossible to prove?

For what it’s worth, I acquired the book at a great price for my personal collection and the COA was just icing on the cake.  The COA didn’t affect my rationale for purchasing.  My interest on the collection labeling is merely whether it could be memorized on the label rather than having a COA (which I recognize as flimsy and kind of annoyingly peripheral proof).

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance here.

10 hours ago, slym2none said:

Pics?

-slym

Are you asking me for pics of the COA, the book, or both?  I don’t think that it’s terribly relevant to the discussion about whether the Seattle Drug Store Collection is really a capital “C” collection worthy of the distinction or if it’s a just 5 years worth of high grade books.  Most of you have been collecting graded books much longer than me, and as a kid in the 80s I was just happy to be able to get back issues no matter the condition.  The notion of pedigrees and names collections are only new discoveries by me—hence my questions.

I hope this response isn’t taken as combatative as I’d rather not share this kind of information unless it’s directly relevant to the question at hand.

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

So it's slabbed in an old label at the moment?In my opinion they're a LOT nicer than the new pedigree labels even if your book is at some time recognized as one.

Right now it’s slabbed as a Universal with a separate paper COA issued by Pristine Comics noting the “collection” and the CGC serial number. It’s not an officially recognized anything by CGC.  Quite honestly, the book is of such high graded quality that it stands on its own.  That said, I don’t want any possible extra bona fides to become separated from the books provenance as these things can sometimes tell a story as they change hands.  If the Seattle Drug Store story is to be believed it’s not a bad one to have attached to the book. 

4 minutes ago, Abibliophobia said:

Right now it’s slabbed as a Universal with a separate paper COA issued by Pristine Comics noting the “collection” and the CGC serial number. It’s not an officially recognized anything by CGC.  Quite honestly, the book is of such high graded quality that it stands on its own.  That said, I don’t want any possible extra bona fides to become separated from the books provenance as these things can sometimes tell a story as they change hands.  If the Seattle Drug Store story is to be believed it’s not a bad one to have attached to the book. 

There's a few different collections called pedigree out there that aren't recognized by cgc.There's a few that I believe lost ped status notation as well.Oklahoma and Mile High 2 come to mind for those that were once recognized and now aren't,but there are some still in slabs with notation for sure.

I don't know if there's a list of non recognized pedigrees.I know of the Tongie Farm,I have a few of those.There's even an original owner that still has his childhood books here on the boards that I think should have his own label, @Marty Mann He may be able to tell you what it takes to get one designated.Give Marty his own pedigree!!

I'd be sure to keep your certificate with it,even if just for yourself.I have some raw Crippen pedigrees with the certificate and I believe they send them back to you outside of the slab.

@porcupine48  Thank you for your kind words but it all comes down to "quantity" and "quality"...but at least some

of the collecting community knows my collection exists.

Thanks again!

Marty

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I'd be sure to keep your certificate with it,even if just for yourself.I have some raw Crippen pedigrees with the certificate and I believe they send them back to you outside of the slab.

Ok. That sounds like good advice. I keep the COA on the back side of the Mylar the slab is in.  Never know when sentiments may change.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Never heard of this collection. Any back story? Lists? What does it contain?

The Seattle Drugstore Collection was brought to market in 2012 by Darren Adams the owner of Pristine Comics. The advert for the collection is below followed by a copy of a certificate and an archived link to the collection where you should be able to see a few of the books:

The Seattle Drugstore Collection consists of a series of Marvel & DC comics from 1966 to 1971 in unread, near perfect condition!  During those years there was a drugstore employee & collector who was only interested in comic book covers & not the stories.  He set aside one of each issue before they were put up for sale on the newsstand.  Always being careful to remove an issue from the middle of the stack (for the best condition), these books remained un-touched until they were graded by CGC in early 2012.  All the comic books from this collection are in exceptional condition with perfect or near perfect gloss, pages & covers just like they were the day of release. Each comes with a certificate of authenticity that corresponds to the individual book's CGC certification number.

Seattle%20Drug%20Store%20Collection%20Ce

https://web.archive.org/web/20121224111037/http://www.pristinecomics.com:80/products/new-drug-store-collection

21 hours ago, MasterChief said:

"these books remained un-touched"

What does that even mean.  How can they even claim that?  Seems like a silly way to say-  "these are really nice copies", but with an over the top dramatic flair. 

30 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:
22 hours ago, MasterChief said:

"these books remained un-touched"

What does that even mean.  How can they even claim that?  Seems like a silly way to say-  "these are really nice copies", but with an over the top dramatic flair. 

You know, like a virgin!

Had the OP shared his pics, we would have seen that much earlier. After I asked the second time in this thread, they PM'd me pics with the caveat that I was not allowed to share them, so I just deleted the conversation. IDK what they are trying to hide, as the pics seemed innocuous enough, but I thought people should know that.

-slym