• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATRICK'S WEIRD BITS IS CLOSED!
2 2

137 posts in this topic

Well,  here's the stuff  that  doesn't  really  fit  over in  the  GA   section.  Like the title  says,    weird  bits. 

I'll  get  one  up  this  evening   to  get  the  thread started,  and  add  items  here  and there  as my  whimsy moves me  over the  next  few  days,

DA RULEZ

I'll put up a big scan of the FC,  note anything else I spot,  and as always,  if you'd like a scan 
of the  back cover I'll be happy to  supply it.

Shipping to USA preferred, but if you want something sent to Canada or overseas PM me 
and we'll work something out. 

:TAKEIT:  rules the roost,  but PM's, kibitzing,  and general tomfoolery  are welcome.

$8   Priority flat shipping to the USA, unless  otherwise  noted  in  the  text  for  an  item. 

For the bargain minded,   I  can  ship  one  or two  comics  ONLY,  for  $4 First  Class.
Everything  else   goes  Priuority  flat   rate or  Priority  medium  boxed. 

CHECK OR MONEY ORDER  PREFERRED, I just plain out don't like paypal.  

If you just GOTTA pay with paypal  PM me and we'll work something out.

Returns for any reason on your dime,  and  for any missed major  flaw or bad description on my dime.

My Kudos thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4287314#Post4287314

Here we go!

Bulletman  and  Bulletgirl  Dime  Action  Book

Thin cardboard  covers,   exact  format  as  a Big  Little Book,  page  of  text,  page  of  illustration. 
This  copy  has  a  corner off  lower   RH  FC,  plus  a  chip or  two  out  along  the spine, small split lower  LH  FC  along  spine,   some  general  wear.
Interior  is  tight,   cream, to offwhite pages.    Small  name stamp  of  previous owner  page  1.

Asking  $50

sGDDbSa.jpg

Back  cover

BP9vfe9.jpg 

Edited by catrick339

Private  Detective  Stories  V21 #2

April; 1949

Standard  pulp  issue,   with  the   addition  of  sixteen  pages  of  black  and  white  comics. 

There's an  eight  page  Jerry Jasper  story, "The Hanging  Corpse"  which  had  six pages  reprinted in  Crime  Mysteries 3,  1952.
There's an  eight  page  Sally The Sleuth  story "Death At The Ball"  which  had  seven  pages  reprinted  as  "Murder  Wears  A Mask"  in  Crime  Smashers 5,  1952.

Many  thanks to  the Grand Comics  Database  for helping me  winkle  out  all  this  information. 

Asking  $65

ymEHs9Z.jpg

G'morning!    Let's  have an eyeopener  with  our  coffee,  shall  we?

Dope,  Inc

Paperback original,   Avon   # A538.

Drop dead  beautiful  copy,  flat  and  tight,    spine gorgeous,   *may*  have  had  the  front  cover  opened  once.  
Glossy,   and  you  have to   look a  while  to   find  any  flaws.  Near-microscopic ink  wear  at  the  edges.   That's  it. 

Asking  $75, FIRM  SOLD!

H1bx1OW.jpg

06B8HVE.jpg

Edited by catrick339

D**k  Tracy 106

Australian  strip  reprint,  24 b & w  pages,   color  cover.  I  couldn't  find  anything   inside  to get  a  publishing  date,  
so  I'm  guessing  1950's/1960/s. 

Flat and tight,   with   some  general  wear,  offwhite  - white pages. 

Asking  $15

rosdHNH.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Well,   one paperback  sold,  must  be time  to  list  another. 

Memos From  Purgatory  by  Harlan  Ellison

This  is the  1977 Jove  paperback  edition, first print,  and  it's flat sign autographed  by   Ellison  on  the title  page.

Flat,  square,   clean,  tight,  glossy,   no  spine  breaks.   Pretty  much as new.  Made me  nervous  to  open it up  enough  to   take a  photo of the 
signature,   :D

Asking  $15  SOLD!

NuHWckY.jpg

cMj4xgt.jpg

Edited by catrick339

It Ain't Hay  Dell  Mapback  paperback  #350

Marijuana  crime  novel  from  1946, no indication   in  the indicia   when  the paperback  was  printed,  but  it  whispers  (1950) into my  little  pink  ears.

Flat,  square,    tight,   clean,  glossy,  white pages.   There's  a  faint  whiff   along  the  spine  of   a  color  break,  as though 
the  cover  had  been  opened  a  bit  too  far  once, may not be visible in  scan,   tiny bit  of  rubbing upper  RH  FC,  a  few  near-microscopic ink  chips  along  the  edges. 
Damned  close  to  as-new,  an altogether pretty  package. 

Asking  $60,  FIRM.  SOLD!

tcqLyCU.jpg

vE61RDP.jpg

Edited by catrick339

The  Bible  Story

Published  by  Worldwide  Church of  God

Originally  published   in  the   early  1960s, the  six  volume  set  is LAVISHLY   illustrated  by  none  other  than   Basil  Wolverton,  
with  quite  literally    HUNDREDS    of  gorgeous   black  and  white illustrations.  

This  is  the  complete  reprint  set  from  the  1980's,  and  I  prefer it  to  the originals  only  because  of  the  color  cover  illustrating 
the  unloading of Noah's  Ark.  The  originals  had   plain   covers  in    tan,  with    text  only.   

All  six   volumes  are  in  nice  shape,  all  square  and  clean,   flat  and  tight,    white pages  with  just  a  touch of  shelfwear. 

If  you're  a  Wolverton  fan  this  is  a must-have  set.

I'm  asking   $200  for the  set,  with   $15  shipping  for   medium  box  Priority  Mail   in   the  US,   exact  shipping   any  place  else.

wlzQqKZ.jpg

S5Hr3Td.jpg

5 hours ago, catrick339 said:

Well,   one paperback  sold,  must  be time  to  list  another. 

Memos From  Purgatory  by  Harlan  Ellison

This  is the  1977 Jove  paperback  edition, first print,  and  it's flat sign autographed  by   Ellison  on  the title  page.

Flat,  square,   clean,  tight,  glossy,   no  spine  breaks.   Pretty  much as new.  Made me  nervous  to  open it up  enough  to   take a  photo of the 
signature,   :D

Asking  $15

NuHWckY.jpg

cMj4xgt.jpg

:takeit:

The  Iron  Dream,   by  Norman  Spinrad

1972,  Avon,    first   publication  anywhere,   first  printing. 

One of the  weirdest   science  fiction   stories  I've  ever  read. 

Here's  the  backstory.  This  novel   won   the    Hugo  Award  posthumously  in  1954  for...wait for it...Adolf  Hitler. 
It  seems  that   after  a  failed    flirtation   with   radical  politics,  Hitler  emigrated  to  America,  and  started  doing   
spot  illustrations  for   science  fiction  pulp  magazines,  and  eventually   writing   stories  for the  pulps.  
The Iron  Dream  was  his  magnum  opus,   published  shortly  after  his  death  in  1953,   and  it  copped   the Hugo  the next  year. 

Well,    they  smoked  a  lot of  weed  in  the  early  70's...

Hrrrrmph.   To  continue.

Flat and tight,   nice  condition  all  around  except  for  a  small  water stain  upper  LH  corner  FC. 

Grab a copy  of  an  exceptionally   strange  science  fiction  novel  by   "Adolf  Hitler"  for  $15  SOLD!

zrLVtfH.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Time for another  weird bit!

Captain Marvel  Dime Action  Book

Return of the Scorpion!

The Scorpion was the  villain  in the Adventures  Of  Captain  Marvel  Saturday  morning   serial,   this  MAY  be  a  retelling  of  that  story,  
but  my  only  copy of the serial is on  VHS,  and  I no  longer  have   a  working  VHS  player,  lol

Flat and  square  with  dogears,   chips,  general  wear.  Tight  with  tan - cream  pages. 

Asking  $100

UKDzpC5.jpg

x6lYkOP.jpg

Super-Detective V10 #6

Another  cool  hybrid  pulp,  with  sixteen  pages  of  black  and  white  comics.

Eight pages of  Gail Ford,  Girl  Friday,  "Death  On Display",  seven pages  reprinted  in  Crime  Smashers  #1, 1950

Eight pages of  Ray Hale, News Ace,   "Trail  Of Terror",  reprinted  in its entirety  in  Crime  Smashers  13,  1952

Flat  and  tight enough,  but  there's  a  bookworm  trail  through  outer  edge, corners off  both  lower  FC  corners,   small piece out  lower  spine strip, 
other  general  wear. 

Asking  $50

F8mX7tn.jpg

20 hours ago, catrick339 said:

The  Iron  Dream,   by  Norman  Spinrad

1972,  Avon,    first   publication  anywhere,   first  printing. 

One of the  weirdest   science  fiction   stories  I've  ever  read. 

Here's  the  backstory.  This  novel   won   the    Hugo  Award  posthumously  in  1954  for...wait for it...Adolf  Hitler. 
It  seems  that   after  a  failed    flirtation   with   radical  politics,  Hitler  emigrated  to  America,  and  started  doing   
spot  illustrations  for   science  fiction  pulp  magazines,  and  eventually   writing   stories  for the  pulps.  
The Iron  Dream  was  his  magnum  opus,   published  shortly  after  his  death  in  1953,   and  it  copped   the Hugo  the next  year. 

Well,    they  smoked  a  lot of  weed  in  the  early  70's...

Hrrrrmph.   To  continue.

Flat and tight,   nice  condition  all  around  except  for  a  small  water stain  upper  LH  corner  FC. 

Grab a copy  of  an  exceptionally   strange  science  fiction  novel  by   "Adolf  Hitler"  for  $15

zrLVtfH.jpg

this is way too weird, which means I've got to have it.  take!

Here's another  weird  bit. 

Walt Disney Comics  Digest  #1

I honestly  have no  idea  of  whether  this  issue is  scarce or common,  but it's the  only  copy  I've  ever  seen. 

Bit of general  wear  on  a  flat  tight  copy  with offwhite - white pages.

EDIT:   I  note in  passing that  this  was  printed in 1968,  so it's  a  contemporary  with  Iron  Man  1.  Fifty years  old  and  counting.

Asking  $40

SFwzLTH.jpg

JTUU8QF.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Brick Bradford 19, Australian  newspaper strip  reprint.

24 pages,  color  cover,  black  and  white interior.   Once  again  I  find  zero  information  about when  this was  printed. 
Eighteen pages  of  Brick  Bradford science  fiction,  one  page  each  of Popeye,   Katzenjammer  Kids,  Henry,    and Teena.  '

Flat  and tight,  minor general  wear,   white pages,  but  the back  cover has  several  light  stains.

Asking  $10

fCIr4wf.jpg

Next up,   a  couple  slutty  50's   paperbacks!

Shameless  Virgin, by Peggy Gaddis.  printed by Astro Publishing,  New York.  Love Novel  #14,   woo  woo!

Tiny  corner off  lower  RH  FC,   small  splits  upper and lower  spine,   tiny light  water  lower  RH FC

Flat,  tight,   square,   glossy, cream - offwhite pages.

Asking  $20  SOLD!

5TZ2IvX.jpg

OeYll5P.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Mazie-Any Man's Girl,  by Gerald Foster

Venus  Books  #103, printed by Star Guidance,   New  York

Folded  and stapled  spine,  flat,  glossy,  tight  spine  and CF,  bit of general  wear. 

Asking  $30

L6j3DNI.jpg

0H3Hu5d.jpg