• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fun finds....
2 2

31 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Wasn't there a Secret Santa gift with something similar to this, and the receiver was Joanna?   I think she offered it as a throwback gift, and Chip claimed it.  That was a quite a while ago.

I think oakman sent that?Not intentionally,like grabbed something off the bay and had it shipped to her.

9 hours ago, csaag said:

U sure don't, but I doubt people were practicing their Kirby forgeries back in 1980 trying to make a buck.  I did have a couple of knowledgeable people look at scans and they thought it was legit but you can never know for sure.  It was a thrill back then sitting at home and opening up the book for the 1st time.

I didn’t mean to cast doubt on the authenticity of the sig, I was just having a bit of fun. Looks legit to me.

5 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

I didn’t mean to cast doubt on the authenticity of the sig, I was just having a bit of fun. Looks legit to me.

In 1980, a Kirby signed splash page would have had a very minimal effect on the value of a book, there'd be no reason to practice it back then. The increasing interest and progressively increasing values of comic book signatures started with the introduction of CGC's signature series. Before that, most collectors avoided cover signed pieces, viewing them as defacement, even though inked by the artists/creators. Prior to that, the splash page was the preferred vehicle for signatures because the cover remained free of extraneous ink. Of course, once slabbed, the signature isn't visible unless cover signed. CGC was directly responsible for the entire manner in which signed comics are now collected.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:44 AM, James J Johnson said:

The Kirby is authentic, IMO.

just to complete my contribution to this thread - out of my whole collection, that was the only one which has a sig  so I decided to send it to that 'other company' as that's the only way to get a label.  It did come back as verified.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s probably already a thread about this, but it’s always fun to discover  signatures when going through books for the first time....

B2059ADD-EB98-4EDF-9EF8-E750C0C99A06.jpeg

F110539E-4DE6-459C-A725-A7094A4CE3E8.jpeg

Was grading out the pair of 167s that accompanied these 165s, and noticed something I missed the first time...

BF152ED2-0266-4E69-B883-C69D5ADEA294.jpeg

A9C0097A-D993-43C3-B961-CF6F6B5E36F3.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Got this from a clueless eBay seller awhile back- must have inherited their comics or something... the sig wasn’t mentioned.

Edit: just noticed the bus windows changed shape from the first 3 panels to the long shot. Way to go, Steranko!

15FCAEE2-0D1F-485E-BF07-898C6084EE15.jpeg

B95A4FAA-D4C6-48F0-884B-0C1F7EF89A54.jpeg

Edited by iggy