• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Against the Superhero Regime"

21 posts in this topic

I take the author as saying the superhero tropes have overstayed their usefulness. Back when Spider-Man got his first movie with modern CG I was in awe, watching my favorite conic book superhero Spidey swing through NY in a graphically realistic manner for the first time. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed superhero movies in the almost 20yrs since, but honestly after watching Thanos snap his fingers I realized Iwas done with the MCU, and had waning interest in others.  It was a great run and now it’s been done. All of the speculation and news on the next phase(s) just isn’t exciting to me. Maybe it’s just me. 

19 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Maybe it’s just me. 

Nah, I am kind of in the same boat.   Downey Jr. and Evans really made the series for me.    Avengers 1, 2, 3, 4  all had these big cataclysmic battles with multiple hoardes.   It was fun, but they started to ring similar.    Don't get me wrong, I like the remaining characters enough for the next phase, but will probably wait till these things come out on DVD/Netflix.  

Edited by Mercury Man

Yes, the multiple hoardes is just getting over done. What made comic books work was things were on a smaller scale and more personal. That is getting lost in some of these epic movies, waaaay too much of expendable fodder for our heroes to make up filler time for the movie. 

I got bored with 

48 minutes ago, Joosh said:

I take the author as saying the superhero tropes have overstayed their usefulness. Back when Spider-Man got his first movie with modern CG I was in awe, watching my favorite conic book superhero Spidey swing through NY in a graphically realistic manner for the first time. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed superhero movies in the almost 20yrs since, but honestly after watching Thanos snap his fingers I realized Iwas done with the MCU, and had waning interest in others.  It was a great run and now it’s been done. All of the speculation and news on the next phase(s) just isn’t exciting to me. Maybe it’s just me. 

I lost interest faster than you, and if wasn't for the tradition of watching them with my daughter (who still enjoys them at 19), probably would have given up years ago.  I enjoyed the fist Rami Spider-man, the first Iron Man, and the first couple of Nolan Batman movies, but other than some of the deliberately humorous ones like Deadpool, Thor: Ragnarok and the first Ant-Man movie, the rest have ranged from at best uneven, yet with their moments, to bloated tiresome ginned up spectacle. 

Signs of fatigue were showing even a year ago, and so I feel that this article is a little belated, and poorly timed after the Joker movie.

As a victim of abuse, many times over, I found the film deeply affecting and the most powerful comics-related film that I've ever seen. 

Nothing particularly vacuous about including examples of abuse and social neglect, and how one individual responds to that; the possible choices of how to confront the brutal reality, or of withdrawal into episodes of delusion or psychosis.

A much easier target could've been picked, sooner.

Also, I found his writing style and vocabulary to be quite elitist and condescending.

Edited by Ken Aldred

50 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Also, I found his writing style and vocabulary to be quite elitist and condescending

.......I agree. The implied controversy is overblown IMHO. Oh the irony, if Joaquin Phoenix were to win Best Actor at the next Oscars.  

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Signs of fatigue were showing even a year ago, and so I feel that this article is a little belated, and poorly timed after the Joker movie.

As a victim of abuse, many times over, I found the film deeply affecting and the most powerful comics-related film that I've ever seen. 

Nothing particularly vacuous about including examples of abuse and social neglect, and how one individual responds to that; the possible choices of how to confront the brutal reality, or of withdrawal into episodes of delusion or psychosis.

A much easier target could've been picked, sooner.

Also, I found his writing style and vocabulary to be quite elitist and condescending.

I appreciate your opinion here, but I didn't get the vibe that he was putting the Joker (the movie) down at all. Just my take I guess.

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

I lost interest faster than you, and if wasn't for the tradition of watching them with my daughter (who still enjoys them at 19), probably would have given up years ago.  I enjoyed the fist Rami Spider-man, the first Iron Man, and the first couple of Nolan Batman movies, but other than some of the deliberately humorous ones like Deadpool, Thor: Ragnarok and the first Ant-Man movie, the rest have ranged from at best uneven, yet with their moments, to bloated tiresome ginned up spectacle. 

On that note, I really enjoyed Captain America Winter Soldier.  It had the espionage feel to it, that I always enjoyed in many of the Captain America story arcs.  No hoardes, just a lot of corruption, moles and spy guy stuff. 

When costumes/helmets started popping onto the character like magic a part of me died.  No, a black panther entire costume cannot be stored in a necklace!  This is merely lazy writing.  Friction burns would be one serious result of say spider Man's mask just popping over his head in a flash-

23 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

On that note, I really enjoyed Captain America Winter Soldier.  It had the espionage feel to it, that I always enjoyed in many of the Captain America story arcs.  No hoardes, just a lot of corruption, moles and spy guy stuff. 

I liked it better than any of the Avengers films, but would have preferred it not be Avengers 1.5

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

Iron Man 1 was as far as I got

they went downhill fast after that.  The one where everyone was Iron Man was really a dud.