• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying this Romita Spidey art
2 2

36 posts in this topic

This is my single favorite Spider-Man art of all time.  However, I don’t know where this image originally appeared!  I am fairly certain it was never on a comic cover and also pretty sure it never appeared within any comic pages, either.

I know Romita worked as an art director at Marvel for a while where he created promotional material.  I imagine the artwork was originally used in this way, but does anyone know the source or first appearance?

Thank you! 

1BE2FE22-32D9-418E-BDCE-4A20D4AB2E40.jpeg

2 hours ago, kav said:

It was reused in many sticker and decal items.

Yep!  I’ve seen countless iterations over the years.  Stickers, posters, models, etc.  I have just never seen the original source and am wondering where it first appeared.  

I’m actually hoping I am wrong and it’s from a comic so I can get a copy!  

So much promotional material is lifted from the source material nowadays it’s hard to imagine that Romita did so much incredible original art for Marvel outside of the comics themselves!

1 minute ago, XxSpideyxX said:

The oldest version of this art I personally own is from this board game from 1977

35292357-1F19-47EB-87B1-8987B81A529C.jpeg

Well if someone takes the time to go thru every Romita ASM issue it should be in there if a comic publication was the source.  If not, it would be a fair assumption that Romita was commissioned to draw it for the board game, and it was then used in stickers.

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion it's in one of the spectacular spider man magazines.

250px-SpecSpiderMag1.jpg

Spectacular-Spider-Man-Magazine-issue-2-cover.jpg

2 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

The oldest version of this art I personally own is from this board game from 1977

35292357-1F19-47EB-87B1-8987B81A529C.jpeg

Since the spidey is Romita, and the FF seem to Buscema, I believe these images were indeed pulled from some publication.

3 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

After the convention (just weeks) the Marvel Merchandise Letters were sent. Stan Lee used the image as part of the letterhead (version 1). In  late-1975 Romita cleaned up the image.Letter2.thumb.jpg.53d5a60afbeaadc532dc189a253e7e6f.jpgLetter1.thumb.jpg.c26dd5983dd58950fe102116aefc23ce.jpg

Wow!  This is incredible.  Thank you for sharing!  Did you see the link that @bronze_rules shared?  Based on the original art for the board game that I referenced, I'm wondering if this is, in fact, when the redesign occurred?

https://bigglee.blogspot.com/2014/03/1977-spider-man-game-john-romita-sr.html

Great stuff!

5 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

Wow!  This is incredible.  Thank you for sharing!  Did you see the link that @bronze_rules shared?  Based on the original art for the board game that I referenced, I'm wondering if this is, in fact, when the redesign occurred?

https://bigglee.blogspot.com/2014/03/1977-spider-man-game-john-romita-sr.html

Great stuff!

Hello, no the style guide sheet and comic book sign (previous post) predates the boardgame.