• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is All-star 8 so much cheaper than other golden age keys
1 1

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AJD said:

In this cover-conscious age I suspect it's because WW is not on the cover.

This.  There is also the long term historical inertia... even the Famous First Editions included Sensation 1, not All-Star 8.  There may also be a small element of it was not considered the key book of the run for ages, All-Star 3 was.  

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

All-Star 8 has beaten CA 1 in the same grade.

Umm ... no ( or maybe only for the brief period when WW speculation was at an all time HIGH )

Since then, CA 1 went back to trumping AS8

Edited by Gotham Kid

10 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Umm ... no ( or maybe only for the brief period when WW speculation was at an all time HIGH )

All-Star 8 CGC 9.4  - $936,223 on eBay on 8/27/17

CA 1 CGC 9.4 - $915,000 on Heritage on 8/12/19 (two years later and only 2.5 months ago, yet no trumping yet)

29 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
43 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

All-Star 8 CGC 9.4  - $936,223 on eBay on 8/27/17

CA 1 CGC 9.4 - $915,000 on Heritage on 8/12/19 (two years later and only 2.5 months ago, yet no trumping yet)

and all the other grades ?

also, if there was only 1 CA 1 in 9.4 (as there is for AS8 and highest grade at that) I'm sure auction would have ended up higher.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

and all the other grades ?

also, if there was only 1 CA 1 in 9.4 (as there is for AS8 and highest grade at that) I'm sure auction would have ended up higher.

I'm sure you are much more in tune with the market up and down the grades than I am.

I'm just saying you can't call All-Star 8 "cheaper" when its one of the four most expensive comics ever purchased.  Heck, only six issues have ever cleared $500K. 

It might be cheaper in lower grades, but it is VERY strong on the high end.  

Yup AS 8 was at it's all time high in 2017 due to first WW movie that was out during the summer. Starting 2018 it started its decline. But ya Cap 1 has trumped AS 8 in every other grade besides the 9.4 due to the reason mentioned above. AS 8 kinda reminded me of how MF 73 performed during their respective movie hypes.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:37 PM, AJD said:

In this cover-conscious age I suspect it's because WW is not on the cover.

There are at least 1000 collectors of Golden Age covers for every 1 collector of Golden Age 1st-appearances.  I'll let you all use your brains to figure out why this is.  I don't mean to rain on the parade...but it's getting out-of-hand in here.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Of course, there are going to be two more Gal Gadot WW movies, and the CA movies are a thing of the past.

Does anyone really believe that WW movie hype has any direct effect on a book like this? How many movie fans streaming into the movies even bother to visit a comic book store to purchase vintage WW comics, let alone a big key like this?

When I started collecting GA comics, I was collecting Batman and Detective. I loved Batman (still do) but they were pricey. A good friend who is a comic collector/math professor and always went by numbers told me to look for Wonder Wom

I had Wonder Woman 1 and Sensation 1 way before All Star 8, at one time  they rarely showed up. I see a lot of single pages selling now.

an instead. He said they were scarcer and a much better value, that the Batman series were getting overpriced (except for the early books). 

After I got over being insulted (because I thought he was pointing me that way as a gender thing) I started looking for Wonder Woman books. They've always been harder to find...but there was certainly not as much competition. There definitely ARE more female collectors around than there were 20 years ago...so I'm not worried, and if the book goes down, great...maybe I'll buy a slightly nicer copy;) Is the price and the comments about her being a lesser character gender biased? Probably not, I don't think that many guys relate to how difficult the differences would have been if the characters were real people...but women will, so watch out;) 

Edited by skypinkblu