• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade my Journey Into Mystery #83

20 posts in this topic

Thank you for the perspective on the trim, Wipple and comicquant.  I acquired this book under the pretense it was not restored.  I'm having a pro inspect the book for restoration and I'm keeping my fingers crossed there isn't a trim or anything else.  I still have the option to return it if it's concluded a restoration took place.  But I'm really (maybe naively) hoping that isn't the case.

Edited by DougthePug

I have an Avengers #4 that I just put up that's cut in almost the same manner as this one that I recently got off of eBay. It appears as if the top right corner, from the middle of the book to the top edge is cleaved off with quite a bit of deckling on the paper edge... I thought it was trimmed, but after seeing this, I'm left  wondering. 

Bottom edge being cut off on the photo makes it hard. It’s in very nice shape. I only see the edge/spine wear. The lens seems to be distorting the image, looks very wavy.

I’d think, assuming the waviness is the lens and not the book, it’s a VF-.

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I don't like that right edge either. But it's a sweet looking book. Do you know if it was slabbed and then cracked out? hm

As far as I know, this has not been cleaned and pressed, nor graded and slabbed in the past.

6.5 (Q) I am going with trimmed too. The UR corner looks too sharp relative to the rest of the book, and the UL corner looks like it had blunting that got half trimmed off. I would really like to see the bottom.

I could be wrong of course.